Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
areyah_zone7

new to forum

Areyah_Zone7
9 years ago

Hi Y'all,

Im new to the forum here having found it online doing a search for hosta forums. The only one I belong to is the AOS forum on Facebook. I'm a retired horticulturist having worked in various fields within horticulture and am a collector of a number of groups of plants hostas beginning with about 5 years ago. I have nearly 300 hostas and many rare and hard to find cultivars and hybrids. Though I have many of the more common cultivars and hybrids getting my hands on the more rare forms that I find worthy in looks has been a priority.

Of all the plants I have grown, sold and raised over the years never have I seen such a plant that can truly become addictive as the genus Hosta. The mere fact there are literally thousands of them to chose from and new ones coming out each year make it even more difficult to say and hold to..."Im not buying anymore, I'm done."

Comments (28)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Wow, we are lucky to have you here, Areyah! We are unabashedly fond of seeing photos around here...so bring on the 300 pictures! :-)

Where in zone 7?

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Welcome, Areyah! I'm not sure if you knew this, but there is a membership fee to be on this hosta forum. You have to send a single eye or better of a rare hosta to everyone else that posts at least once a day-yeah, that should do it! ;)

All kidding aside, this is a great group and I know you'll enjoy being a part. Looking forward to pics, too!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Welcome Areyah, you are in the right place. Actually you are in big trouble as we enable as much as we can. 300+ plants please show us some photos. Paula

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Welcome! I am not one of the experts here (including you in that), but I do love reading about and seeing all the wonderful gardens full of hosta here. I am addicted for sure.

I will start to post daily, however, should Funn's idea catch on! ;)

Cynthia

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Welcome. We look forward to your input and pictures.

"...never have I seen such a plant that can truly become addictive...

Have you seen the conifer forum? ;-)

tj

• jadie88
    9 years ago

"...never have I seen such a plant that can truly become addictive...

Have you seen the conifer forum? ;-)

tj

Don't go! It's a trrraaaappp!

The heuchera forum, on the other hand...now that's a nice place to while away the time...hehehe...

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol thanks all for the comments and warm welcome. I will be happy as one suggested to give a single mature eyed division of Gunther's Prize or Lakeside Foiled Plot your choice to all. Haha now You know that I'm joking, I hope. As growth accelerates all just pips at the moment I'll we be glad to post pics.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I don't know about Lakeside Foiled Plot. If the photo on Franzen hosta is correct, what makes that rare or interesting? It just green. Why would it be another one of those $1000. hosta? Or, did I miss the joke?

Oh, welcome, by the way.

bk

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Welcome,Areyah! I am in western NC in the mountains. Phil

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Bk no was no joke of LS Foiled Plot. If you can find it good luck. Look at it in the HL not sure of the pic of the overseas distributor Frans or Franzen Hosta but if a true LS FP unlikely you will find it from any vendor here in the US it is so rare. For those who love green hostas that are cupped,corrigated and green this is a knock out and does not TC thus the rarity. I was fortunate enough to get an OS division a few years ago and the seller has passed away with no word of what happened to his collection. Again do take a look at the pictures in the Library one of the most stunning green hosta ever created.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

welcome.

you've been warned ...

_~

dave

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Welcome, and I'm sure you will become entranced. Bunch of Hosta loonies here.

Mary Chastain was Lakeside Gardens in total, and all those Lakesides are HER efforts, and she is the originator of LS Foiled Plot. Every one of hers was different from the others. Unlike so many hybridizers. How did it get overseas? Did Rob sell it? Geez...................

It is beautiful, round, cupped and corregated. And I see that they removed Rob's photo. Good.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Areyah, welcome to the GW Hosta Forum. Stick around and have fun; many forum members favor us with some of the best hosta photos on the internet, in my opinion.

Your timing is great; kick off the season with us!

Cheers,
    Don B.
    Westminster, CO

• User
    9 years ago

Hi, and welcome Areyah! I must warn you that certain folks on this forum, they know who I mean, will make bets on when you'll reach the next 100 hosta marker, or how long it will take you to get there, and then tantalize you with absolutely luscious plants in gorgeous garden settings.

So as Bragu said, you are warned....proceed at your own risk as an adult in your right mind with deep pockets or a credit card that automatically pops out of your wallet when the word HOSTA enters your thoughts.

Whew. That was a long sentence.

And you arrived on the scene just in time, because we were having a discussion about WORDS MEAN SOMETHING. As a horticulturist, your input will be appreciated.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Areyah is such a beautiful name! Welcome! Did anyone mention the fee? It's paid and collected by all ... in pictures! Very eager to view yours! :-)

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Areyah,

You might be surprised to know I found 'Lakeside Foiled Plot' available in The States from Jim's Hostas. Price is 100 clams. Is that a good price for it? This is a type I like, cupped, dark green, very thick substance (it would seem from pics in the HL) and very corrugated. Is it a large plant? It looks pretty good-sized judging by the plant tag in the first pic in the library.

Regards,
    Don B.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Hi and welcome Areyah! I took the plunge and joined the group a short while ago myself. A great bunch of people who will appreciate your input on a large variety of subjects.

Gary

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Wow, LS Foiled Plot really is an exciting look. Not $100 exciting (not for this resident salary budget!), but very cool nonetheless. I love the texture on top of texture, along with cupping, upright, glossy...it has a lot going on! I wonder if LS Prophecy is a relative.

...okay, we need to see YOUR 'Foiled Plot' now, Areyah! Gee, are you feeling attacked yet? Joining this forum with an intro like yours...we can't help but pounce!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, please post some pics of LS FP when it's all leafed out! That would be great.

Don B.

P.S. Yeah, Jadie, 100 clams is much more than I have ever paid for a single plant; The temptation to own a rare hosta you really like is something I can understand, though. Know what I mean? : )

• rosie742001
    9 years ago

Wow! LS Foiled Plot. is not just another 'green hosta'! I have been looking for a DARK Green hosta, and that one is it!!! Gorgeous!! $100.00 is alot of dough, but it would be worth it. It would take some soul searching, plus some good excuses! And the money of course.But Holy Crow, think how it would look in your garden!

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Buy, Rosie, buy!!

I wonder what the story is behind the name...maybe it's just the recent Aden thread that has me thinking along these lines, but I wonder if there was some hosta-related mischief in its past? :) ...Nah, it's probably just the glossy look that earned the "foiled" description. Makes you wonder though!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I can get a face to face look at it here next month! Hosta Fever is offering a limited inventory of this one at $75!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I missed LS Foiled Plot in the hosta library when I first went there. I found it, though. You're right, it's a really stunning hosta.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Breath taking hosta!

I look at it and think of the thick waxy leaves on anthuriums. Each leaf is perfection on those plants. This one gives me the feel of Clear Fork River Valley when it is wet.

But LSFP is even more architectural in nature. A real beauty.

There is one Manhattan that looks as great as this, dark beauty it is. Inspired me to get one, and although mine is young and no where near the one that I was smitten by, I know it from more than 10 feet any day.

• allnitro
    9 years ago

I believe you used the name Bryan when you were on this forum in the past...I have seen you use a half a dozen different names on other forums..........a mystery man.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

welcome

as a hort pro.. please study all 65 pages of posts.. and chime in.. if you find any posts where we could do better .... i would be interested in your thoughts on potting media ... and why some work better than others ...

ken

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Y'all,
    Well have been very busy going through tons of posts dating back to last year and why I havent posted again. Ken I'm originally from Michigan and do you do stand up comedy anywhere, haha, just kidding. This time of year I cruse the well known and less well known vendors and yes Don I see Jim has Foiled Plot available now. $100.00 would probably be reasonable given its rarity but having done business with him is probably a small plant. I aquired mine 3 years ago along with LS Foot Print and Pillow Talk two other very rare LS hostas now rarely found. Plants that rare I pot up for at least two years if small for protection and ease of care. They are still in pots and will move them into selected beds sometime during the growing season. They are just coming out of dormancy so there is nothing to look at, at the moment. Another rare hosta you may be interested in looking at is Rick Goodenough's Stag Leap which I was also able to get one of only 25 available 2 years ago. In speaking with Rick on this hosta he has no plans at this time to TC it so it will remain rare. I also came across a poster named "idiothe" he being Jim. I see he has a business where he sells hostas and saw someone who ordered from him last year forget who it was showing large plants received. I am preparing to move purchasing a 20 acre piece of property near Nashville, TN. A significant amount of land will be dedicated to hosta beds and a breeding program. For this reason I am looking for a source of mature plants at reasonable prices so my question is is Jim still in business I have not seen any posts from him this year? LOTG sends nice sized plants but can be pricey.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

He might still be in Africa.

-Babka

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022