Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

June paired with Teatime

User
9 years ago

If you have a chance to move these two hosta next to one another, you will probably have an AHA! moment like I did.

Even in the MYHOSTAS.BE remarks it mentions that Teatime is the reverse coloration of June. Teatime is from English Sunrise, but it sure does have a June look to it.

What do you think? Is that pretty or what! Taken this morning.

Comments (31)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Mocc. Perfect compliments to each other. They are related; English Sunrise being a sport of June. Does that make Teatime June's cousin? One big happy family. : )

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

That sure is gorgeous...all you need now is English Sunrise to complete it. Got one? :-). I do and it's colours would really knit the trio together! Or not...your choice...I'm just here to make sure that one of us betting on your increased hosta count has a chance, lol

Jo

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, I stand here ready and willing and ABLE to be convinced to order English Sunrise. Sounds like an Earl Grey moment to me!

Show me what you got there, Lady!

Adding: IT'S A GOLD....OF COURSE I NEED IT! What is the best source?

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 17:11

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Wonderful photo pair!

-Babka

9 years ago

I'll get right on that....lol......Hallson has it (one of your faves) and here is a pic, or two...I really think you'd like this trio.

9 years ago

...here it is with a flower scape...see some of the gold taking on a very pale green/blue tinge? This would be about late July, mid-August. Lovely and worthy.

9 years ago

You of all people don't need a hard sell, but to tip you over the edge, I thought I'd carry on just a tad more....

Not only does ES's colour work well with J and T but the leaves have the same shape/taper to them - fraternal triplets! One could say there is a " point" to this trio, lol

Does that do it for you?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You made your case beautifully, Jo. Thanks.
    (You see, my Hallson order was delayed, so maybe I have a chance to add it in if I call early tomorrow morning before they begin pulling orders.)

Just the right strength of blue, the right strength of yellow (like the greenish gray yellow of a hardboiled egg yolk?) and they combine to make that.....perfect GREEN to compliment/complement to create a perfect fraternal trio.

The combination is poetic.

THE THREE GRACES--what I call my college friends for the last 50 years, how very appropriate to honor our history.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canova's statue The Three Graces

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Note: I called Hallson mid morning Monday. Chris said my order was already pulled and boxed, but he could add the English Sunrise to it. The English Sunrise, he said was a bit small, but he'd do his best--and that is always excellent.

So, my Three Graces will soon be together. By Thursday afternoon at the latest, I'm guessing.

9 years ago

Mocc, The Three Graces is an exquisite work of art - and so fitting.
    I love the way your mind works - you transport us to places of higher realm.

I can picture an English Sunrise, with June, at morning Teatime.
    (Earl Grey and Cream Earl Grey are among my faves.)

I am interested in knowing how it grows for you in your climate - how the subtlety of colours plays out throughout the summer. I am delighted you chose to accept my suggestion...especially when Don already set it up....I just completed the pass! High Five!

I can't wait to see it when it arrives...and completes the trio, The Graces.

Thank you for the link! I enjoyed reading the history. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bump

9 years ago

Bump - anything to update, Mocc? Did you take a pic of English Sunrise with the other two Graces yet?

Jo

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Nice combination. I think I just found what I wanted to complement May and June. I had Great Escape but it wasn't quite right. Thanks for sharing

Beverly

9 years ago

Beverly, you'll post a picture sometime after you complete your trio? please?

Jo :-)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great that Bev is going to set up her own trio.
    My English Sunrise is somewhere in this bunch of pipping pots.

hehehehe. I thought you'd appreciate this picture. But it does have a couple of pips poking. Not enough showing to recognize its personality. Nice roots though. :)

When there are real leaves, we'll have a photo ready to go.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I really like that pairing, too. If you have anymore Aha moments remember to share because you have good ones!

Thanks for sharing.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jUST IN CASE ANYONE WISHES TO (sorry for the yelling) create a teatime garden with a symbolic plant stake, I saw a sweet little teapot stake like a bird house in the new Grandin Road catalog. They can be rather pricey, but it is the idea that counts. If you happen to have an old cracked teapot, why not glue it to a stake and make that the focal point for a Tea Garden.

I have several camellia sienensis, which are the plants that tea comes from. Camellias grow here, so I see no reason why I cannot make my own tea from the new leaves every season. Those plants, currently potted, will be located with my Three Graces and a couple other tea-themed plants. I (just this morning) ordered My Cup of Tea. Already have Tea And Crumpets. It will be nice to sit there with a glass of iced sweet tea, or a cuppa hot, maybe add Lemon Lime and Sugar And Cream?

Anyway, here is Grandin Road's garden stake that suits the Teapot theme.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teapot Garden Stake Grandin Road

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Moccasin, that is a wonderful idea!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Although English Sunrise is not ready for the job, it is busy leafing out and looking pretty for me. Soon I will be putting it with the other two Graces, and searching for an icon to place with the group.

Hello, yello! Taken April 30, 2014

9 years ago

Mocc, she is sooo pretty with her soft mellow yellow! Your big reveal of The Three Graces + icon has me antsy with anticipation! :-)

Jo

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bev, Paula, Babka, Don, Jo, thanks for your interest in this small project. Sometimes I get ideas and they sound good, but for one reason or another never quite come to fruition. This one, by golly, is on its way.

Today I found a resin 11 inch (I think 11 inch, I looked at quite a few) statue of Canova's Three Graces. I will need to locate the plants where they have space around them, and a good line of sight too. Obviously 3 ladies and 3 hosta, easy to get the symbolism, understand the motive.

I'll have to get it all set up and take a formal picture of it. My two friends of 50+ years, two of the Graces, will understand what I'm honoring with this garden feature. I wish I could find the picture taken in 1956 of the three of us which led to this name....it is packed up now....the digital scan of it was lost with my external hard drive failure. Some things must live in the memory, because moth and rust doth corrupt. If you get my meaning.

Not quite lost, it so happens. I found it on a page of my old website that is still running on autopilot. Note the full skirts with crinoline petticoats, the short bob, the cinched waists. Our sophomore year in college. A friendship that has lasted a lifetime.How young we were!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

What a great photograph to still have - which one are you?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Mocc, I am so glad this thread was bumped since I missed it the first time around. Indeed, June and Teatime are an inspired pairing!

I am also glad you posted your picture-I have two wonderful friends of 49 years. They are treasures just as yours are! Time to search out some old photos! Thanks for the dual inspirations!

9 years ago

Mocc what a great picture! Are you on the right? Just guessing from biker chick photo, lol. I do hope you have it framed? :-) you just created another memory association. This is a terrific project...we are eager for the reveal.

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I'm guessing you're on the far left, Mocc. : )

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are spot on, Don. I love that picture.

And just at twilight I took the English Sunrise out to meet Teatime and June. It has a lot of growing and settling down to do before it is their equal. But we have the time. Here is the shot.....

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, yes the original or paper picture is framed. It is packed away until later this year due to the remodel. These friends were there when I first met the man who would, 50+ years later, become my husband. They came to our wedding in 2006. Life long friends. Irreplaceable.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I recognized you from the pic in the 'ABOUT FACE!' thread, Mocc. The only thing very different in this pic is you don't have a parrot on your shoulder. : )

Don B.

9 years ago

Way to go Don! Great eye!

Mocc, it will be interesting to see the amount of "just enough" viridescence on English Sunrise when it does it's thing. It is this colour I mention that will bond all. I hope you will be as pleased with its transition as I had envisioned. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can wait.

I am amazed at the many LOOKS of every hosta, as they change over one single season. Then the next year, they change even more. My June, and Teatime, look nothing like the plants I received.

It makes it more amazing that folks can ID a NOID of indeterminate years, juvenile, as well as they do. Hosta are impressive, and a delight to grow. You get some instant gratification, then the real treat is years ahead.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not exactly a big reveal, but I did a "mock up" of the real thing.

I think in #3, I see a bit of the yellow tone in all 3 hosta. It won't take much more for the hard-boiled egg yellow/green to come through. I'm also thinking to feature them in a ring with the Three Graces rising from the middle, as little as possible showing of the means of support. I brought the statue in tonight, was only testing at this time.