Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Squash Casserole in 2014

User
10 years ago

I wish to begin a new thread about this lovely hosta, because the other one is over a year old, and has a lot of comments. To make it easier for you to connect to it though, I give a link to it below.

Now, this year, right out of the box, Squash Casserole is a powerhouse of a plant. Every leaf seems perfect, and the width of the plant, in the same pot as last year, is close to 36 inches. I am delighted and amazed. It sure did not look this impressive when I got it back in 2012.

I know BKay is getting one this year, and when it arrives I'd love to see it posted here as well as all the others from you admirers of golden leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Casserole thread last year

Comments (24)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Great looking plant, Mocc. You know, of course, that Key Lime Pie is a sport of Squash Casserole. : )

Steve

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

It should be here this week. I'm looking forward to it.

bk

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve, me boyo, I am there ahead of you on Key Lime Pie! Got it in 2013.

And BKay, I remembered you said you ordered one. This post was to raise your level of anticipation! Show it off when it arrives.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very nice, Mocc.

'Yesterday's Memories' is also a nice sport from 'Squash Casserole'. : )

We are here to help!

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hehehehe

Don, I am there ahead of YOU TOO! I got Yesterday's Memories in 2012 from Hallson. LESS than $10, I might add.
    Whole lot of pretty in that family!

Key Lime Pie, don't have a picture of it yet. (How did that happen!)

But here is Yesterday's Memories this last week. Growing great just like the mama Squash Casserole, only it has my most favorite variegation, a narrow irregular green margin around that gold leaf.....like it grew up and is wearing green eye liner.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

HA! And here we go...down that rabbit hole as someone put it....
    LOL I may as well confess now ----- It's on the buy list....where it appeared right after Mocc made us hungry on her thread last year. I was wavering between Mango Salsa and SC.

It's perfection...i can't stop looking at it...the colour, the shape, the ripples, the pie crust ... Ooh la la!

What's more, Mocc... this is going to continue for the next several months...you have a lot of hosta entering their third year - a whole lot of leaping going on! We are all in for a major treat. Don is right there too, isn't he? Year three for a lot of them.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL I should know better than to try and stump you, Mocc. I'll never learn. Well, that's an awesome trio of hostas! : )

I got my YM from Hallson Gardens late last year. $9.50! Chris sent a big one.

Jo, you're right, I've probably about 50 I planted in 2012. Fingers crossed.

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What I'm hoping is that I don't miss all the fun as it is going on, because I'm freaking out over signs of VIRUS in the maturing leaves. See, I've only seen a very few mature hosta, and I'm used to the smooth babyface hosta before they grow up. How will I know they are normal? I'm the over protective mama.

Like last year I was obsessing so much over the health of the plants, that it was JULY before I relaxed enough to look at my spring photos and discovered in the slideshow more beauty than I realized was there at the time. After I realized that I was missing the magic, I relaxed, sat out in my garden at twilight most every evening to watch the solar lights flicker flicker until they made a steady glow. And I felt the night pollinators whiz by as it grew darker, raising the hair on my head....one of something landed briefly on my white shirt and left quickly, me holding my breath. I don't want to miss the fun of seeing the mature leaves.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Thanks for the word crafting, Mocc. Very nice.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you appreciate it, ZKathy.

Don, I submit an August 2012 picture of Yesterday's Memories in a bevy of beautiful Hallson golds. You can make out the name tag about the 2nd plant from the left, front row. I got it in July 2012, so one month into life in zone 9a.

NOTE: If I did not have a Flickr account, I would not have this photo to share. My 2012 and all prior digital photos I EVER took were lost when my backup drive blew up. When I have $1500 I might can get it rescued.....hold your breath!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Yes, it's just about twilight that I'm most filled with euphoria ... There's a pull in the garden -the magic you mention...just because it's getting dark, doesn't mean the day is over. :-)

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

I have Squash Casserole and Yesterday's Memories ordered. SC should arrive this week and YM next week.

A couple of years ago I went to a plant sale--granted this is when I had just started getting into hostas--and the lady was trying to get me to buy SC, was going to discount the SC if I bought so many. I still passed on it. The yellows weren't my thing at the time--now it is all I want. I am kicking myself now! SC is such a beauty!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My newly arrived Squash Casserole.

bk

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I have a real h. Squash Casserole to show! (I want to emphasize the h. as we had Squash Casserole on the menu last week.) It looks like it's really happy.

This is from Hallsons. It came this spring. I'm really pleased. (It's usually nested up against another hosta, that's why it's crooked.)

bk

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Beautiful, all! I am adding SC to my list as well. I have a feeling I might be in trouble tomorrow when I go to Plant Delights :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomorrow I will be up potting Squash Casserole, maybe it will survive undamaged. I cannot leave it in that non-draining pot. I know Ken is probably fed up with that term, but the POT is the problem even though I drilled all kinds of holes in the bottom, that attached deep saucer causes all sorts of havoc. I have a baby Squash Casserole in the new arrivals from Hallson, in case the big dude should meet with an accident. It is so broad now that wrapping my arms around the pot without squeezing the squash too tight, well, it might get damaged. However, in all the ones I've up potted and down potted so far, I haven't dropped one on its head YET.

There she is on May 3d. I'll take another picture tomorrow after she gets her new pot.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

another plus for SC is the red pets toward the base ...

_~

dave

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Mocc, all your hostas should did fill out this year! I love the last picture you posted.

Gesila

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

No SC, but I bought Key Lime Pie yesterday! Now I know where it originated!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

BKay, that's gorgeous! Looks like it'd glow in the dark.

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostahosta,, Gesila, Dave, BKay, Faye, this is one of my happiest hosta. I will gladly surrender more real estate to hosta which blow up like this one has....also Yesterday's Memories and Key Lime Pie. It doesn't simply count in one dimension though....more than a simple "five feet across" that works out to being "twenty-five square feet". YEEHAaaaaawwww. I'll give my DH the job of computing how many hosta will the garden hold if it is 100x25 feet in dimnsions and they mature to 25 square feet. I'm afraid I can figure the answer myself, but choose to deny reality.

I up potted Squash Casserole this morning, it just rained on it. I had tape on the petioles to bundle it all up to avoid damage. It sure makes an impressive bundle. In another year, Key Lime Pie will be leaping I bet. Having completed the emergency up pot from the poorly draining containers, I now have to do some which are sitting too low in their pots, but the pot itself is okay. Jack em up, throw some mix in the bottom. They grow so quickly in the spring that I had no time to catch them before now.

Mercy me, I am so tired of heavy labor. It is time to enjoy the garden for a bit. Onward to the stadium seating in the south end of the hosta garden.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BKay, I'm very pleased that your SC is performing so nicely for you. I know you watched mine last year and now yours is doing just as nicely. I think yours will leap next year too. Because I think that is what my Squash Casserole and Yesterday's Memories are doing this year.

So far I don't have a MOUNDING hosta, just ones like these that are huge umbrellas!

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I got my new SC planted in my garden this evening, along with the rest of my new purchases. Looking forward to seeing it settle in!

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

I had a SQ and split it when it was a few yrs old. It s a quick grower for me, morning sun, afternoon shade. Here is the newer half of the split from 2012. That bed looks pretty different now but SQ and the NOID are still there. OM is fading away due to Japanese maple roots but SQ seems immune! I will see how SQ is unfurling tomorrow and take a pic.
    Amy