Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey1z7act

Does Anyone Grow Blue Ivory?

casey1gw
11 years ago

I bought some even though I'm not familiar with it so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about it

Comments (14)

• dg
    11 years ago

A quote from the hosta alphabet string for "Hosta B 2012" by irawon (z 5b Ottawa): "Blue Ivory has been a slow grower."

Also, in the Hosta B string were lovely pics of young Blue Ivory by tepelus (Karen) (z 6a Ohio) and sandyslopes (z 5 Utah).

Gorgeous hosta and that's all I know about that,
    Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta B 2012

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

hey casey1, bought one thru local hosta society in 2009. Blue Ivory has been a slow grower for me, but I love the colors. Here is pic from May 2012. El Nino which has similar colors (and maybe a narrower margin) maybe grows better.

Paul

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. The pictures are beautiful but if it's that slow, I may return it.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I love it! Got a 2-eye in 2009 and this year I just counted 13 eyes. Here's a photo from last year.

It is about identical to Great Escape. When I put the two next to each other I cannot tell the difference.

-Babka

{{gwi:963498}}

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Wow, Babka that's a beautiful plant. Slow-or-fast-grower, it just got added to my wish list.

Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

So far Blue Ivory hasn't done much; I've had better luck with Great Escape. They're both young plants, though, so things might change.

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

Very slow in my garden, but very beautiful. The colours are eye catching. It's not invincible, but it certainly isn't a slug magnet. I must look up 'Great Escape', I wonder if there is a difference in growth rate.

• irawon
    11 years ago

I was just over at the Hosta Registry. Both Blue Ivory and Great Escape are sports of Halcyon. They may be the same plant registered under different names. Great Escape was registered by J. van den Top in 2006 and Blue Ivory by L. Klinkhamer in 2009. I don't have Great Escape but I would think that both coming out of Halcyon, they would have the same growth rate all growing conditions being equal. Hallson's advises to keep BI well shaded as the white edge is viridescent. The margin of my BI has never developed green coloring. Yes, BI is slow growing but some things are worth waiting for.

Babka, that's a lovely large clump, so I guess growing it well can be done.

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I actually went to get Rainforest Sunrise because I read about it here but I couldn't find it so I picked up the Blue Ivory. (5 large single eyes) Because it's so slow, I'm not sure if I should return it for the RS.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Are you kidding? FIVE eyes? I'm still waiting for my third eye. Hang onto it!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

About a month ago I bought five roots in a box from Costco, Blue Ivory. All about 6 inches high already and very pretty. When do they begin growing slowly? Al

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Casey1- You NEED Rainforest Sunrise too!

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Keep 'Blue Ivory' AND acquire 'Rainforest Sunrise'! Problem solved!

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Calistoga: Last year I bought a bag of bare root hostas from Costco that were labelled "Blue Ivory." None of them were Blue Ivory. It is suspicious if they are growing that well. It would be good to post a picture of them to help positively ID them. Please keep that in mind.

Casey1: When you said you got a plant with five eyes, did you mean you have one plant that has five eyes or five separate hosta plants with one eye each?

This post was edited by newhostalady on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 17:45

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio