Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Anyone Grow Blue Ivory?

Posted by casey1 z6CT (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 15:27

I bought some even though I'm not familiar with it so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Anyone Grow Blue Ivory?

A quote from the hosta alphabet string for "Hosta B 2012" by irawon (z 5b Ottawa): "Blue Ivory has been a slow grower."

Also, in the Hosta B string were lovely pics of young Blue Ivory by tepelus (Karen) (z 6a Ohio) and sandyslopes (z 5 Utah).

Gorgeous hosta and that's all I know about that,
Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta B 2012

o

hey casey1, bought one thru local hosta society in 2009. Blue Ivory has been a slow grower for me, but I love the colors. Here is pic from May 2012. El Nino which has similar colors (and maybe a narrower margin) maybe grows better.

Paul

o

Thank you so much for your help. The pictures are beautiful but if it's that slow, I may return it.

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 0:36

I love it! Got a 2-eye in 2009 and this year I just counted 13 eyes. Here's a photo from last year.

It is about identical to Great Escape. When I put the two next to each other I cannot tell the difference.

-Babka

photo BlueIvory5-2-12_zps369c0240.jpg

o

Wow, Babka that's a beautiful plant. Slow-or-fast-grower, it just got added to my wish list.

Don B.
Westminster, CO.

o

So far Blue Ivory hasn't done much; I've had better luck with Great Escape. They're both young plants, though, so things might change.

o

Very slow in my garden, but very beautiful. The colours are eye catching. It's not invincible, but it certainly isn't a slug magnet. I must look up 'Great Escape', I wonder if there is a difference in growth rate.

o

I was just over at the Hosta Registry. Both Blue Ivory and Great Escape are sports of Halcyon. They may be the same plant registered under different names. Great Escape was registered by J. van den Top in 2006 and Blue Ivory by L. Klinkhamer in 2009. I don't have Great Escape but I would think that both coming out of Halcyon, they would have the same growth rate all growing conditions being equal. Hallson's advises to keep BI well shaded as the white edge is viridescent. The margin of my BI has never developed green coloring. Yes, BI is slow growing but some things are worth waiting for.

Babka, that's a lovely large clump, so I guess growing it well can be done.

o

I actually went to get Rainforest Sunrise because I read about it here but I couldn't find it so I picked up the Blue Ivory. (5 large single eyes) Because it's so slow, I'm not sure if I should return it for the RS.

o

Are you kidding? FIVE eyes? I'm still waiting for my third eye. Hang onto it!

o

About a month ago I bought five roots in a box from Costco, Blue Ivory. All about 6 inches high already and very pretty. When do they begin growing slowly? Al

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 13:05

Casey1- You NEED Rainforest Sunrise too!

-Babka

o

Keep 'Blue Ivory' AND acquire 'Rainforest Sunrise'! Problem solved!

Don B.

o

Calistoga: Last year I bought a bag of bare root hostas from Costco that were labelled "Blue Ivory." None of them were Blue Ivory. It is suspicious if they are growing that well. It would be good to post a picture of them to help positively ID them. Please keep that in mind.

Casey1: When you said you got a plant with five eyes, did you mean you have one plant that has five eyes or five separate hosta plants with one eye each?

This post was edited by newhostalady on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 17:45

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here