Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madplanter1

Opinions of "Andrew"?

MadPlanter1 zone 5
10 years ago

I picked Andrew up, mostly because of the name. The tag said medium, but I've also seen it described as Large and XL. If any of you grow it, what do you think of it? Does it like a good bit of sun or is it happier in mostly shade?

Comments (24)

• hostamanphil
    10 years ago

I hope that your Andrew grows faster than the two that I have. Two years in the garden with little to no growth. No larger than a small in my garden. Hopefully others have had better luck with it. Phil

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ouch- I've already got a Liberty that refuses to get bigger. Oh, well, at least it's cute and hasn't died.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Andrew is painfully slow!

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Phil and Melissa . . . Andrew is painfully slow (as far as putting on size from year to year), but holy cannoli is it gorgeous.

I purchased three separate plantings last year . . . two from Hostas Direct (which were basically 1st year liners) and then a third from Naylor (about 3 years old when I got it).

All three grew fine in high shade, no direct sun.

This year they came back fine. Only one of the small ones from Hostas Direct came back with more eyes. The one from Naylor came back with the same two eyes but the leaf variegation is much stronger this year, showing me more of the mature characteristics.

Here is a pic of the Andrew I got from Naylor last year, and then one I took today of the same plant

I see a lot of similarities between Golden Meadows and Andrew.

Both have that open white middle with the green apple splash between the white and dark blue margin. The leaves twist, ripple, and have corrugation at only the darkest parts of the margin.

They are different though in that GM comes up cream instead of bleach white and GM also greens up completely every year.

My Andrews last year did green up in the middle but it was not severe like GM . . . more of a gentle misting . . . and not all of the leaves did this.

Here again is the picture of the Andrew from Naylor

And then a picture of my Golden Meadows, also taken today

IâÂÂm not sure what the overall size of Andrew will be when mature. If I had to guess, I would say about the same size as GM, but slightly smaller, perhaps due to the stark white not moving to green by end of season.

Here are the other two Andrew I have from Hostas Direct. Pics taken today. These guys are itty bitty.

In the end, if you have the patience to baby it . . . I say go for it . . . if not . . . you can stick you head in a vice and slowly tighten . . . this will create the same sensation as watching Andrew grow.

Ludi

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

I too bought Andrew in part for its name - my first born is Andrew. This is its first year and I too see the similarities with Golden Meadows (one of my absolute favourite Hostas). Mine is quite small as well. I am hoping, unlike Golden Meadows, that it will retain that light center colouring. Will be watching it closely.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Here's a six year old Andrew

• User
    9 years ago

My Golden Meadows goes straight to a green center in SNAP!

What I see Andrew looking like is Lionheart. I got one last year I think, and when it emerged this year I could not believe how it had changed. I liked it so much I ordered another one to see if the same thing happens next year. My reason is quite simple....I cannot grow the ones with WHITE CENTERS hardly at all. I love them, but they end up for the most part looking awful. I am thus very cautious about anything with white margins (they melt away) or white centers--with very few exceptions.

And Lionheart is a vigorous exception. If you have a problem with white middles and you NEED ONE, I suggest trying Lionheart.
    on April 21 2014

on April 27 2014 with White Elephant (it does good too)

the last picture is May 31 2014
    morning sun......I won't even try to grow Andrew!

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

All my white centered and white margined ones get Epsom salt in the Spring. Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate which helps with photosynthesis and chlorophyll production. The older Andrew gets, the wider it's margin gets and the better it will grow.

I'm also happy to hear that Lionheart is a good grower as my Robin Hood has just sported one off and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice, guys! Andrew was in a fairly shady spot last year, but had still gone from 1 to 3 eyes. I was advised to move it to half sun, and it looks awful. One eye vanished after the move, and the others have raggedy leaves. Maybe it will all be worth it next year. If not, I bought Lionheart this year.

Gary,

How much epsom salt? Do you mix it with water or just sprinkle it on?

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

MadPlanter, I'm lazy and very unscientific when it comes to measurements. I just sprinkle it around the pips when they are emerging and work it into the ground, basically just scratching the surface and allowing the Spring rains to do the rest.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds good to me. Easy is always good as long as it works.

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph ... IT DOES GROW !!!!

Oh Gary, you've renewed my blind faith in this cultivar.

::waves arms wildly with excitement::

Ludi

• User
    9 years ago

Ludi, you been asleep somewhere all summer? You are waking up since it is September I suppose! Welcome back, Cotter! (oh you are too young to know what that refers to, you had to be alive then.)....

And Gary, thanks for the tip

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

Welcome Back, Kotter - final episode date: August 10, 1979

SIX YEARS before I was even conceived !!!

Goodness Mocc, you date not only yourself but me. :p

Alas, I have not been sleeping this summer, quite the opposite, in fact.

However, I baited you in another forum post ... and glimpsed into one of my tragedies in another ... let's see if you can't find my Easter Eggs.

Hugs,
    Ludi

• User
    9 years ago

The game is on, Ludi.

• User
    9 years ago

Ahem. I saw the other post, did not want to cross the BKay boundary of one particular thread which shall head to obscurity one can only hope.....

But, I saw it. Yes, Could not miss.

Wherever you post your updates, which must be pretty awesome after such a long time, I'll be watching. Will you drag out the ladder and take a nice school picture of your entire class? I so enjoyed the other time you did that, Ludi. A moment in time, all of them together.

I'll see if my DH will hold his extension ladder still so I can climb up it for a panoramic view of my 500+ before fall strikes them down. hehehe....eh?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

LUDI, LUDI, LUDI!!! L.y.t.b.... Where you been, Sunshine? We sure have missed you!
    Tell us what your hostas have been up to, especially the ones in your new front bed that you added to last year. Got some pics to share?

Jo :-)

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

Jo, LYTB2 !!! You found me as well. So nice to 'speak' with you Ladies again. So many times I would sit down at the end of the day and think "Gosh, I should send them an email".

Agreed Mocc, that was not the best post for me to pop my head in, but I wanted to say Thank You to BKay for the kind words. She really is a sweetheart. After such a reception, I feel I must make an effort to build an update of these past three months. It shames me to admit it, but I am without pictures this year.

I did manage to take a round or two in the spring, but nothing in the last two months, and I wouldn't dare step on a ladder this late in the season. They all are starting to look like carp. They're calling for an early snow this year, and I think the plants can sense it.

But anywho, I have so derailed this post by now. Apologies MadPlanter and everyone else who is reading this mini reunion.

I will be in touch though, soon. I'll have to dig through my computer for some kind of pics. I've got plenty of stories, but not so much of the visual aids.

Big Hugs,
    Ludi

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

We like stories, too.

bk

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

Andrew was one of first this year. Can't wait for it to grow, if epsom salts will help so be it. I may even pick up another next year when
    i have a new bed ready and drop a Great Expectations next to it to maximize my gluttony for punishment. hehe

But seriously, even though my Andrew is still small I love looking at it. Just something about it.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Digger, you have great taste in hostas! Andrew is gorgeous and GE is renowned for same!!! I'll bet there will be more of us hunting Andrew down, me included. By the way, have you seen Mocc's Lionheart yet? You will love it too. Mocc is busy with a remodel on her house and hasn't been as active as per usual on the forum in the past few days, but if I'm successful in finding it, I'll provide the link where she posted a pic. Success...here you go...see what you think.

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Mocc's Lionheart hosta thread

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Andrew suffers from a case of ragged ugglies by mid-summer for me. It is still young and I am hoping that as it matures and the leaves thicken this will stop...can anyone confirm that their Andrew stopped going ragged by the halfway mark once mature??? I really hope so because it's such a gorgeous plant when it emerges.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Connie, Whenever you look at the name "Andrew" just automatically think "patience". My Andrew held up well until after this last freeze we had. It's a trouper once it gets established.

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

Jo I already beat you to it. Lionheart is on the list.The top of which starts with "Where am I going to put in the new beds??" and "Get those dead oaks cut down first so you don't have to worry about the hostas gettin whacked"