Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael1846

if i wait...

michael1846
10 years ago

I ran out of slugo.!! It will be 3 weeks before i get a new thing of it. AND its raining. If they get ate up now will they grow new leaves or do the keep all their growing to the spring?(pretty much will they look bad the entire season if they get eaten now) I have had hostas for 4 years and never looked at their groth habits! Please help!!!

Comments (4)

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I don't know where you are in zone 6,but here in western NC,slugs aren't even up yet! But then,I don't have a problem with slugs. If I see any,I just zap them with 10 percent ammonia solution! I never use sluggo,because I think that just attracts them to my hostas. Phil

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I have the best luck with preventing them, rather than treating them when they're out and eating.

When the pips are emerging, I throw down Sluggo or Bug Getta. About 10-14 days later, I throw down a 2nd treatment. This is usually enough to treat the babies before they get to be adults and before the leaves are unfurling and they become voracious eaters.

I read about this technique (Hosta Journal, maybe) that was effective for another hosta grower. It has worked amazingly for me for the last 2 years.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

To answer your original question...yes, any damage will be there on the leaves all this year. Many hostas, but not all of them will put up a first flush of leaves in Spring then send up some more later on. Often the "later on" ones are nowhere near as large as the first batch. If your damage is slight you can remove those leaves later if it hurts to look at them. ;-)

It depends on your weather and your slug population. If it stays cool enough you can hope they won't come munching. HostaFreak says his slugs are no shows this early. If you are seeing damage right now, then you need to take measures to stop it, whether that means night time trips outside with ammonia spray, or spending bucks now for bait.

-Babka

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Try a 15% Ammonia drench, sprayed on the foliage and the pips as they come up. Then put the Sluggo down when it comes.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 21:19

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022