Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta on the driveway edge

Posted by moccasinlanding z9A AL (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 15:43

Note I do not say "ON the driveway." Just along the edge.
I have a trial bed of hosta in the ground. Made this last year because S&S was outgrowing its pot and I wanted to turn it loose to be all that it could be. And it needed companions.

The bed is along the south boundary of my property. The large trees in the space are on the neighboring property, so I have no control over their presence. One is a trash camphor tree, which is an invasive alien species. It drops twigs and berries which sprout as readily as acorns. But this bed was raised up to avoid the possible root rot of wet winter dormancy. I placed a sub layer of pine bark nuggets to help with any drainage issues. Then it was cow manure and good garden soil and more pine bark to grow in.

Our driveway is cement, and it gets very hot in the summer, since the front yard is to the west. The pavement will radiate more heat to the roots of the plants near the edge, although I have liriope in a thick line growing as a boundary between the bed plantings and the paving.

So here are some of the hosta pioneering this planted bed.
I may set some hosta in pots among them to add interest, but what the heck, I do not want to chance some plant thief finding them irresistable. Hosta are rare treasures in Mobile.

Here is several Grand Tiara from 3 sources. They seem to be flourishing so far. Taken 4/9/14
IMG_20140409_102424.jpg

Millie's Memoirs placed between Empress Wu and S&S is much more advanced than they are.
IMG_20140409_102554.jpg

Patriot....looks rather scrawny to me. I much prefer Minuteman for performance here
IMG_20140409_102524.jpg

Love Pat, a blue that will become fairly rugose I think, might lose her blue, but she might be strong enough to survive the soil.
IMG_20140409_102457.jpg

Old reliable Undulata Albomarginata is getting its white groove back now that it is out of a pot. It sure went for 2012-2013 without its white in the pot.
IMG_20140409_102445.jpg

Fragrant Queen. Let's see if she can deal with the conditions.
IMG_20140409_102411.jpg

Alabama Gold sort of chartreuse but with some of its gold leaf trying to appear. Looking nice over all.
IMG_20140409_102404.jpg

Two Sugar Daddy hosta are planted side by side here. Not bad for now, but it sort of loses its edges as the season wears on.
IMG_20140409_102355.jpg

Wheaton Blue was a bonus plant, not chosen. It looks better here than it has since it arrived. We'll see if it continues to thrive as the sun becomes fierce and the humidity stays high.
IMG_20140409_102626.jpg

And this is what the bed looked like Aug 25, 2013 about a month after I planted it. Blue Angel is in the far corner shade.
IMG_20130825_161545

and here is the S&S taken that same day, with Wheaton Blue in the foreground with the begonia.
IMG_20130825_161918

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta on the driveway edge

How did they make the winter? Albomariginata looks good, as does Alabama Gold. I remember the shot of the whole bed, but not the specific plants. Did S&S fare OK?

bk

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 21:27

Hey Mocc- Show me more after 3 years in the ground. ;-) All the old old OLD info I read back in the 90's said you can grow them in the South, but they diminish after 3 years. Perhaps you will be able to write the NEW book on how to grow hostas in the ground in the South. Part of the problem, however, is more likely to be that people in the South (or slight frost Winter regions like me) don't like to look at bare dirt during the time the hostas are dormant when they have so many flowering broad leaf evergreen goodies to fill those spaces. That is part of the deal here in Silicon Valley, CA.

-Babka

o

Looking good Moc! That bed is really lovely. Can't wait to see how they look in May ... I'm hoping that your hosta will find their "booties" nice and cool in the ground despite the scorch that is to come. When your in ground hosta surpass the three year mark, you'll be setting more records, you trailblazer you! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here