Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

enter a hosta leaf show?

Mary4b
10 years ago

I have never entered a hosta leaf show at a convention.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

I'd really like to know how these cut leaf "competitions" work, what are the judging criteria and how does one best prepare the leaves for the show....

The cut leaf entries are limited to 20 leaves. Could you enter two leaves from the same named nosta, if you had two good ones?

Thank you! Mary

Comments (10)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Mary,

I don't know exactly how many of your questions this will answer, but I found some info on hosta leaf shows. I'll add the link.

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Link 'It's Showtime'

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I found some good information on this site. I hope the link works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Cut Leaf Showâ

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the help, both of those links are going to be very helpful. Hope I can keep the weather and slugs at bay! Mary

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

practice first, by entering leaves in your hort show at the county fair ...

you will need a clear flower vase, and look online for results from past shows for other tips/tricks.

if it interests you, go for it. be sure to understand how to label ...

dave

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Good luck, Mary.

It should be fun. Let us know how you do and what you learn about the process. (Many of us will never see a leaf competition, so share with us.)

bk

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've only been to the AHS Convention one time...that was in Minneapolis. I couldn't believe how many leaves their were! I was also surprised, because I hadn't seen m/any discussions about it here, but a lot of people on this forum were at that Convention.
    Reading the info in the links, I admit that my eyes started to gloss over a bit a few pages into the 2nd link above....but I was in need of a nap, so I knew to save it for a sharper brain!

Bragu, based on the first link above, it sounds like some places provide the vase, I'll have to find about this one..it would be the Midwest Regional Hosta Society Convention in Green Bay this June.

I would be close enough to enter leaves in the AHS Iowa, as well, but not sure if I am going. I think I only need one convention a year, and Green Bay is too easy for me to pass up. No Hotel needed, etc, plus it's an opportunity to meet some local people with the same interest.

I have a spare bedroom in a humble home if anyone else wants to go...
    Mary

• newhostaaddict
    10 years ago

see you there Mary

jill

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Choose your leaves carefully and label them as you go. You think you know your hostas until you get to the show and realize you have 2 blue leaves and now you can't remember which is which. Yes, I did that.

Clean them carefully with a wet Qtip to get into all the little cracks and crevices. Many folks collect them the day before, soak them in water to hydrate and make cleaning easier.

Some folks transport them in glass jars with a rig to keep the jars upright in the car. Since I wasn't traveling far I just used wet paper towels and plastic baggies. One lady showed up with them in her purse. Needless to say they looked a little rough afterwards.

Hold them up to the light and check for pin holes. I lost best of show to one of the little buggers. The judges will be tough unless you're in the kiddie section. My daughter used to show some with me. The judges were kinder to the kids.

Uniformity of shape, color and variegation is important.

Make sure the leaf is from a mature plant. You can get dinged for having a leaf that is too small but they can be bigger than the registered size.

These are just random recollections from days gone by. I'll probably remember more as the day goes by and my brain warms up. The most important thing is just to try. You'll learn so much from your first show and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are almost always new people entering the shows and the seasoned hosta folk understand and are willing to give tons of advice. Hang around after the show and ask a judge what's wrong/right with my leaf. It's a great way to learn.

I miss showing but my kids are growing up and every weekend is filled with sports, field trips, band, chorus etc.

Have fun and let us know how it goes for you.

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Jill! You have way more varieties than me...are you entering some leaves? And, are you going to Iowa, too?

Thanks Tim, yes...I would definitely have to id them right away, my memory can fail me from one moment to the next...

Anybody else out there going to enter some leaves this year at a convention?

• newhostaaddict
    10 years ago

hi mary

I may try a leaf or two,,,,at least might do a little practice cleaning of a couple to see how I do...

We went to the convention in Milwaukee last year,,,soo,,,I don't think we will make Iowa this year...

We are one of the "optional" gardens for the Midwest convention in Green Bay this year....will have my hands full trying to get things in shape...

jill