Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daysquid

Hosta Identification

daysquid
9 years ago

I'm in love. Please tell me what kind of host this is. Many thanks!

Comments (11)

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Hmmm...I'm thinking it may be Avocado or Holy Mole. Both of these Guacamole sports have pale lavender fragrant flowers from mid-August into September.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful picture. I understand why you are so taken with it. I agree with don r. It looks like that pic is taken with a lot of shade, possibly making coloration looking darker than it actually is. I love all the Guacamole sports. They have a shiny appearance and of course fragrant.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Looks like Cathedral Windows to me. Check out the pics on the Hosta Library and see what you think. All of these guesses are related to Guacamole.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library

• daysquid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are most of the Guacamole sports shiny leafed?

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Yes. Shiny leaves are typical of the entire H. plantaginea family. H. plantaginea is the species from which all fragrant Hostas descend.

Steve

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Is that an oakleaf hydrangea with the hosta? Very pretty whatever it is!

• User
    9 years ago

My vote is for Holy Mole. I'll try to get a picture of mine this morning, and hope the 11 inches of rain has not beat the garden down. The neighbor said her 5 gallon bucket had 13 inches of water in it, her friend in Pensacola had 17 inches in hers (although they say Pensacola got 20 inches of rain, with 5.5 inches coming down in 45 minutes)... I notice that some of my hosta leaves have sort of bruises on them, which I estimate came from the sheer force and impact of raindrops.

Here is the Avocado leaf. It is much too plain in the middle to be the plant in question. That twig went through the leaf last night.

Cathedral Windows another candidate. Of course my plant is not mature and the center may change. But I see it as more golden in the midleaf than the greener in the example.

Holy Mole has a touch more of the green in midleaf, which is why I submit it is the plant in question. To me, the clue of the midleaf color was that large chartreuse leafed shrub next to the hosta. The hosta was matched with that shrub for effect.

Emerald Charger is another fragrant with that kind of midleaf variegation. However, it has twisted leaves which I don't think the example mature hosta has. It is the one at the bottom of the picture beneath.

. I think you could get Holy Mole, Cathedral Windows, and perhaps Emerald Charger and be in good shape. Nothing like having all three! They are beautiful hosta

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I would say either Holy Mole or Avocado, as well. I don't think it's Cathedral Windows, even in shade, I would think it would be a bit more yellow-toned in the center. Mine is BRIGHT yellow centered. Certainly no expert, though.

Take a look at this pic from Sebright Gardens of Avocado:

• daysquid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are great. And this combination with Oak Leaf Hydrangea is define.

• User
    9 years ago

Daysquid, when you get your arrangement in the garden, be sure to share the effect. I'm sure it will be gorgeous.

• daysquid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do. I plan on several trips to my local garden centers in the next few weeks. Looking forward to this combination or something similar.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor