Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lime green/chartreuse small hosta?

Posted by joannemb (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 16:41

Looking for a lime green/chartreuse SOLID colored hosta with rounded leaves. Do not want any of the lemon lime mini's---too small, and too narrow leaves. Height=bad (small but not mini.) I like the look of gold edger and maui buttercups, but they will be placed in part sun, and I'm wondering if they'll get too yellow. I don't want yellow---but more of a limey looking solid. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lime green/chartreuse small hosta?

Take a look at "Banana Muffins" - this might work for what you want...

o

I had looked at that one-- great color and shape, but it's classified as a large. Too tall for where I'd like to put it. Thank you for the suggestion though!

o

Wow! A large? Mine is about 10 inches tall.... ripply though so I want sure if it would work for you. Hmmmmm another might be Cheatin Heart or Gold Edger?

A

o

That's strange! lol
I really like everything about gold edger, but if I plant it in part sun will it show more as yellow?

o

Maybe Limey Lisa? More green than yellow most of the time.

o

yeah... I was thinking Limey Lisa as well... easy to grow...

o

Norwalk Chartreuse???

o

Limey Lisa is perfect! Thank you---I knew you all would come through~ :)

o

Limey Lisa may be the wrong color--it's bright in the spring, but gets considerably more green as the season goes on. I have two other possibilities. Ophir, which is bright gold when it comes up, but quickly turns chartreuse, is a medium small size with an upright habit plant and beautiful long, very wavy leaves. Little Razor is chartreuse all season, has an interesting plant habit with rather upright leaves that are lance shaped, and it grows like a weed. It's a cross of Venusta and Sum & Substance, and got it's small size from Venusta and the chartreuse coloring from S&S. It is larger than Venusta, with a mature plant being about 8-9 inches tall. Little Razor also makes a good edger. Either of these varieties will take full sun.

Gold Edger will turn a very pale gold color in full sun, but otherwise will do very well as long as it's kept well watered. It needs some shade to keep it's gold/chartreuse coloring.

o

I like Ophir, though I'd have to call it a medium... it is rhizomatous so mine makes a healthy colony unless I grow it in a container - and it doesn't have small round leaves. Same with Little Razor - OP wants round leaves, so some of our favorite lance-shaped ones won't do the job...

o

banana muffins large???? .. i dont think so ...

incredible little leaves in the color you wish.. with mauve flower scapes.. really.. really cool ...

i would love to see the link to where you found that it was a large ...

its leaves.. believe it or not.. are about the size of a normal.. wait for it.. muffin ... go figure on that.. lol ...

one of my faves ...

ken

o

Here's the link---I always use plantfiles--sometimes the backyard gardener has misinformation, but plantfiles usually seems right.

Shoot, it's not letting me add the link.... because of spam? If you google banana muffins hosta plantfiles it's the first one that pops up.

If banana muffins is small--than yes, it is perfect!

o

What about 'gumdrop' ??

Says it's lime-green.... and it's small/mini

o

Joanne - from the originator... he calls it a Medium and has it for sale. See the link.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana Muffins at Jims Hostas

o

when you preview your post.. there is a box right below the post for links .... its called:

Optional Link URL:

in fact it is right below where i am typing right now ....

and another for a title ...

ken

o

Thanks Ken, I tried putting the link there first, and when I got rejected, tried it in the body part (here) and still got rejected. Not sure what was going on. I have to say, I really like Limey Lisa---the more I read about it. I think I'm ok if it's more on the greener side. I'd rather have that than leaning toward gold in more sun. Now if only I could find it locally---that would be way too much to ask I suppose. Thanks again for all of the suggestions--you are all great!

o

I don't know if it would work for you, but take a look at Guacamole. I think it is a pretty plant.

Here is the result of a google search for pictures. Since I'm not a computer whiz I can't make it clickable. You'll have to copy and paste it into your browser address line.

http://www.google.com/images?q=hosta+guacamole&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=QcfHS-3IGYPAsgPjx5T1BA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQsAQwAA

o

I love guacamole! I have it planted in my backyard---it is too tall for this spot though---definitely need a mini or small at best. The info you all gave on Limey Lisa was perfect---I like that it's more on the green side because it will be planted in a good amount of sun. The chartreuse ones tend to go golden by mid season, and I don't want yellow. Lt. green to lime is what I'd like for this spot--hopefully Limey Lisa will fit the bill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here