Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

'Paradigm' 'Brother Stefan' 'Dick Ward'

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi all,

Are these three extremely similar to each other? Do you think they differ enough to get all three? I only have 'Dick Ward' so....perhaps...there are those out there who are familiar enough with this trio to comment. LOL Not exactly a long shot, I'm sure.

Thanks very much,
Don B.

Comments (9)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

In my garden they are not alike. H.'Dick Ward' has most of the medio-variegation, 'Brother Stefan' the least, 'Paradigm' in between. I like them all. Each of them is 5 or more years old.
    Bernd

• garyz6ohio
    10 years ago

I was just going to say the same thing with Brother Stefan being the best looking and grower for me in my garden. Hard to fault a Petryszyn hosta!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I just took a photo of my second year Brother Stephan and my 4 year old Paradigm. They look very similar to me.

The colors are more pronounced in the older plant. The younger one will get more pronounced with age They have the same color pallets and very similar leaf patterns. They look more similar in person than in the photo.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 22:00

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I don't have Brother Stephan,or Dick Ward,but I do have Paradigm,and Clifford's Polar Moon,and I can't tell them apart,even though they are planted near each other. Just an observation. Phil

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I can't help you with your question Don. I love my Brother Stefan and last year I got Paradigm. I haven't had enough time with Paradigm to have an opinion of it or do a comparison of the two. I wouldn't mind having a Dick Ward. I love the green margined yellow hosta. The photo is of Brother Stefan taken in September.

• esox48
    10 years ago

I have all three and have three of Paradigm, so I guess that tells my feeling about them. They are all beautiful, but Paradigm grows a lot better. In fact, I'd say the other two are on the slow side.

• User
    10 years ago

I love the ones with the lighter midleaf and the darker margins, even the ones with a simple pencil line of darker green margin. That is my favorite, and I would get them ALL if I could.

Dick Ward I've had since 2010, from my very first hosta order. He is wonderful. Tough and would be great in hot climates because of the leaf stiffness, stands up to humidity beautifully. I'd put Clear Fork River Valley on a par with Dick Ward for thick and rugose leaves. Rhino Hide is going to be rugose I know, but in a different sort of way.

Dick Ward last July 2013

and then in October 2013, still looking tough but tired after going since March in a harsh climate

Now I also have two of Brother Stefan, but it has not done so well for me. I keep trying---my son was named Steven.
    I have a desire to grow it. Here is one of them last 8/2013

Then Paradigm is a fine one to grow. However, IMHO it does not have the color intensity or hmmmmm contrast of the green margin and the yellow middle. So it is different. To demonstrate, here it is last October 2013. It held its yellow nicely, but not the deep burnished dark green of Dick Ward.

• esox48
    10 years ago

Dick Ward

Paradigm

Brother Stefan

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the pics and information, everyone. Hmmm, yup, looks like I'll have to get 'Brother Stefan' and 'Paradigm' and grow all three. : )

I was 'afraid' I might come to this decision. Heh heh heh...

Cheers,
    Don B.