Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

first observations using Alfalfa pellets

uk-hostaman
11 years ago

Been using alfalfa pellets as a top dressing for the latter of last season but mainly the beginning of this...well my first observations are that i would say most seem to be sending up more eyes especially after the first ones had come up...also i have noticed a few 'blind' eyes coming up on a few,by that i mean the pips look normal but when they open no leaves are inside!(never had that before)....my thoughts so far are that i had used them too early in the season...but most do look really strong and healthy...the jury is out...

Comments (9)

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Ah, we will stay tuned. Keep us informed. I use them also because they are organic, readily available, and you just toss them down. So easy. The only negative is that they look odd for a while.

When did you apply the alfalfa pellets? How do you measure them out? Per square foot? Around each plant?
    Christine

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I bought a 50 lb. bag of alfalfa pellets at at a local feed store and put them everywhere in my yard several years ago. Didn't notice any changes after a couple months, but I know they helped adding organic goodies and didn't hurt anything. Just my old eyes didn't see the difference??? they don't burn, so just sprinkle them all about.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

oh you are cracking me up ...

hope springs eternal.. doesnt it.. lol ...

werent the eyes set in mid to late summer ??? perhaps before you applied it???

and did you leave any untreated for comparison???

it surely did not hurt ... but me thinks you may be giving 'it' too much credit ... i would think your overall general care had as much.. if not more impact ...

dont get me wrong.. your spring excitement.. is really inspiring me ... especially since you are a month or two ahead of me ....

have a great season ..

ken

ps: when you get a chance.. can you give us a spring pic of your microscopic garden .. since you have nearly what i have on 2 acres, in your garden .. and one of the old pix .. with those cool manicured shrubs .. that i think you removed ... i doubt i will ever forget.. the first time i saw it ....

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

Folks on the Rose Forum swear alfalfa contains a chemical which promotes new basal growth on rose plants.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

From the Colorado State University Extension service:

Alfalfa meal or pellets are often used as animal feed. Primarily they are used to increase organic matter in the soil but do offer nutrients and a high availability of trace minerals. They contain trianconatol, a natural fatty-acid growth stimulant.
    Alfalfa Meal or Pellets
    Typical NPK analysis Release time Pros Cons
    Application
    2-1-2 1-4 months Available at feed stores May contain seeds Till in 2-5 pounds per 100 square feet

Steve

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

This thread reminded me that I had half a bag left over from last year. I was able lay some on all my hosta, roses and others before the monsoon hit last night.

I am sure I will see more eyes on Tuesday when the rain finishes.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Ken's absolutly right. I, too, was stunned the first time I saw the garden with the perfectly manicured lollipops and all those gorgeous hosta. Then there were the begonia baskets...lovely, just lovely. Thanks for sharing.

bkay

• old_dirt 6a
    11 years ago

Do the alfalfa pellets tend to attract deer or rabbits? I've got enough deer problems now, don't need to attract anymore. A few years back I used alfalfa tea and thought I had more deer damage but can't say for sure that was the cause.

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Old dirt - no, wildlife isn't aware that those hard little green pellets are animal food. They're used to fresh greens.

Deanna