Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

Hosta Loyalist

santamiller
9 years ago

I came across this guy and picked it up today. Anyone have this in their collection? Maybe a picture or two?

Comments (12)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Here's my Loyalist in it's third year. It gets morning sun and stays perfect like this all season. The close up shot of the leaf was taken on July 17th.

Gesila

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Gesila, what perfection! Nicest one I've seen by far. Santa, bet this makes you smile! :-)

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Loyalist is a big pain in the butt for me. I've had it in my garden since I started the garden 8 years ago. It has never made it out of my special care section.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Gesila! That's a real beauty! I'll cross my fingers that it can deal with my zone and look half as nice and yours down the road.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Loyalist is a plant that comes up every year in my garden. That's all I can say about it. It is a pathetic little plant with only one eye,year after year. Phil

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Loyalist does well for me- gets better every year. The first few years it annoyed me by sending up a green eye. There is a similar one whose name escapes me right now and that one does not thrive for me like Loyalist

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Coll, are you referring to Fire and Ice? Your Loyalist is so pure looking! Wow! I don't have L but FAI is in 2nd year.
    How did your winter go?

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, May 1, 14 at 17:31

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Loyalist may be one of those finicky ones that if you get just the right spot for, it does well. Mine didn't. It looked nice when I bought it, but got smaller and smaller each year until it disappeared completely. By then I was so disenchanted with it, that I didn't care. Best of luck with yours.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Hi Jo-

Yes, Fire and Ice...that one doesn't grow for me at all. I probably don't have it in the best spot, though.

Our winter was brutal...things are just waking up now but I expect to have losses. I got lazy again about putting the potted ones to bed and that was not a good winter to have been lazy. This weekend I am going to clean up the beds and start to count eyes!

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

When I was weeding and mulching today, I found Loyalist is still trying. One 1 1/2 inch leaf popping out of the soil. Because the little guy is still trying I thought I needed to correct what I put out onto the internet about it, lol. It's clearly not happy where it is now, so I think I'll pot it up, and see if that helps. But I doubt it ever looks like Gesila's or Coll's.

• luckykat13
    9 years ago

Loyalist 2013. Does well. Fire and ice. Not so much.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Loyalist does OK for me. It seems to like a lot of light.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus