Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlymnz4

Getting Smalls and Minis up where you can see them.

beverlymnz4
11 years ago

On another thread there was a brief discussion about the problem with Minis - bending over. I too avoid planting minis and some smalls because they are too far from my eyes to appreciate. Please tell us, or better yet show us, how you get your Mini's up to eye level.

Here are some pics from nationals last year to get us started.

Bride Groom in a wheel barrow

Minis in a bird bath

I love that last one and I'm keeping my eyes open for the right bird bath.

Beverly

Comments (10)

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Beverly , that is so nice . You are so artistic. Just love both of them
    Faye

• beverlymnz4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Faye but those are not my containers. I took those pictures in Nashville last summer. My old computer died and I no longer have names attached to them, but I'll figure them out and post later.

• dg
    11 years ago

Here are my minis on a plant stand. The stand is tucked into a corner of my porch for now, until the trees leaf out.

Deb

• User
    11 years ago

My external hard drive with 10 years of pictures (only 1 full year of hosta though) quit on me, so I'm resorting to what was uploaded to Flickr albums.

The picture from last year shows 5 mini hosta in a bowl which I sat on a bird bath base I think it was. You cannot see much of what is beneath, because I circled it with larger hosta. In the center is an "olla" or an unglazed terracotta container which allows water to seep out and keep the hosta cooled.

This year, I am still working on the smaller hosta, because they suffered badly from the winter and squirrels tumping out the soil. I decided community containers will be better for my minis.

But also, I have two planting methods to hang on the fence, where they might be much safer and easier for me to access them, and NOT OVERLOOK when I am watering. Where pots of large hosta might bring down or sag a chain link fence, I could move these small guys to the chain link spaces, where I believe air circulation will be better than against a wooden privacy fence. Plus, I do not want to put wet soil where termites and rot could destroy my fence.

I also brought home short lengths of cut wood, the diameter of about 12 up to 20 inches, level them, and use them to set my coffee on.....I mean, if Pottery Barn can sell them for $100 bucks for home decorating purposes, why not DIY for my garden! They work very nicely too. And even if you do not have your larger hosta in containers, setting the cut tree lengths in a bare spot between big hosta, will let you view the minis as part of the garden itself. I'm sure small hosta have a chihuahua complex anyway, and think they're just as gorgeous as their larger relatives.

If I'm not mistaken, in this photo taken today you can see a couple of the tree lengths. That convention of hosta is where my main fragrant players gather.

• User
    11 years ago

Incidentally, I will add that in the picture above, Mama plantaginea is shown down front dressed in black.

Mama started my hosta addiction. I got her in 2010.

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

I have two under-window style planters attatched to the steel railings of my little front porch. The east one gets morning sun and is in shade by10.30am and the west one gets afternoon sun after 2pm. I am going to try a couple minis in them this year as an experiment and if it goes well load them up next season.

Would it be best if I submerged plastic pots in mix in the planters rather than into the planter mix. I'm thinking better moisture retention and keeping the roots cooler. Like layering clothes for my little girls.

If one doesn't like the setup all I would need to do is move the pot.

Theresa

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I love those 2 planters. I've always wanted to plant up a wheelbarrow but each time DH sees me eyeing his he takes away so I won't find it! I always like the idea of being able to move it around when I needed to. The fern with the dark hosta looks fabulous! The birdbath shape is different from any I've ever seen. Makes me think of trying to make a hypertufa one. I don't think the hostas would overwinter in that here, I'd probably have to move them into the garden shed for the winter. Both are really adorable.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Tried a couple of bowls with minis on the deck. Stuck a small single division of Fair Maiden in the pot as well till it gets too big.

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Love the many mini combinations. And about that commandeered birdbath from the Nashville garden tour, I was imagining it as a boat like a dhow, low, wide in the middle, with two ends alike.

I have an old pirogue (a 2-ender flat bottomed Cajun fiberglass derelict my brother found washed up after a storm in Louisiana) that I planned to grow raised bed stuff. I think a small boat, or a child's ride-on/in car could be used. I mean, the sky's the limit! I think one or two of them would be fine enough, without making your garden look like Ma and Pa Kettle's place, don't you? Of course, I don't have such toys laying around.

One thing I planted with succulents and an agave was a copper firepit on a stand, after I drilled drainage in the rounded bottom.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Just put together a brick planter for 4 recently purchased minis: Popo; Cameo; Tears of Joy and Pandora's Box. It's under a window box up against a garden shed. Teeny clay pots next to each hosta hold moss, just for added cuteness. And yes that's a miniature aluminum watering can on the back, second brick from the left.