Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleyh_gw

Hostas no show

shelleyh
9 years ago

None of my 12 hostas are showing any life. Should I worry this early?

Comments (9)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Shelley,

I'm in 5b. Some of my Hostas are showing and others have nothing showing. I won't worry about those that aren't showing for at least another 2 to 3 weeks. Where in NY are you located? How old are your plants? Did you just put them in last year or have they been in the ground for a long time? Do you know the names of the varieties you planted? It possible that your zone is just a few weeks behind mine.

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Shelley, here's a list (link below) of late emerging hosta. If you know your names, you might find them there.

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: List for late emerging hostas

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

You should be grateful for now. The longer they stay dormant the less chance of damage from late frosts/freezes. Give them time :)

Chris

• shelleyh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

7 of the hostas are 8 years old and 5 are from last year. I'll just be more patient and wait. Everything seems slow growing this Spring probably because the Winter was so hard. Thanks for your responses.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I am also in zone 5 upstate NY, only 2 or 3 of my 350 hostas show small pips. This year the ground was frozen deep until just 2 weeks ago.
    Even my town has postponed yard waste pickup by 3 weeks. They are starting today instead April 1 as in all those past years. But crocuses are nearly finished and daffodils are blooming now, so we have spring. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 8:50

• User
    9 years ago

ShellyH, a couple that I thought were rotted and gone are making a miraculous recovery. I went so far as to reorder this one, Princess Anastasia. Now here it is sending up seven eyes and that is better than last year.

Most of my hosta are already filled out and one (Sea Gulf Stream) even has flower scapes growing. Picture at bottom

With your serious winter weather, don't count them out for several weeks more.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Right now the only pips I know of have Gladys Knight singing in front of them.

Nary a hosta pip to be seen.

tj

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Still getting below freezing at night, but pips are popping up all over as the days get into the high fifties and lately some sixties. Last night 27 F.

Jon

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Shellyh,
    I wouldn't worry. Its gonna be a slow start after the winter we had on the east coast.

In my zone 6 garden, only Sagae, Guacamole and the Halcyon, June, Touch of Class family show more than an inch of pip. Another 6 or 7 show points. No sign of the other 20.

It will be 70 today with some warm rain tonight. They will all be growing by next week.

It's worth the wait!