Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

What looks good today April 26 (lots of thumbnails)

caliloo
11 years ago

So here goes... I cannot believe how many are up (and how many survived the drowning this past winter) and looking pretty darn good this early in the year. All thumbnails are clickable (I hope). BTW - my worries and woes about all the losses I was anticipating, were for the most part, unfounded. Yes, I did lose several, but that is for a different thread.All pics were taken yesterday or today - comments encouraged!

Alexa
Yellow Seedling

Striptease Sport

Squid Lips

A fun trio of seedlings with other stuff

Paradise Island

Old Glory

NOID and sport of NOID - guesses welcome

Niagara Falls Seedling

Jim Hawes

Streaky seedling

Bowl of minis

Seedling -

Funky Monkey

Fragrant Blue

Fire Island and Paradise Joyce

Revolution Sport - opinions welcome

And a top 10 for me - ARISTOCRAT

Comments (11)

• Cher
    11 years ago

Lovely photos and some great choices. Your streaky seedling is looking good.
    Cher

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Alexa,

Very nice plants and not the usual suspects. Do you do much hybridizing?

Steve

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

Steve, yes, I do a little pollen dabbing, nothing that I am obsessive about tho. My record keeping is kind of spotty so I usually know the pod parent, but between the OP seeds and ones I dabbed... well, you get the idea. I grow a bunch of seedlings and toss most of them. I have the great luck to be near a few other hosta addicts that will sometimes let me harvest their OP seeds, plus my own, so I have a large supply. I've been into hostas for about 6 or 7 years, so my collection really took off and now I am very selective about what I buy or seedlings I keep.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments :-)

Alexa

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Welcome back,Alexa! I looked at the thumbnails,and I think I have the clone of your NOID! So when you know,tell me! Lol! I have a couple of streaked seedlings of Korean Snow that look just like the mother plant,but I also have another from the same plant that looks nothing like the mother plant. These are all OP,so who knows what the pollen parent was? Phil

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Noid looks like Northern Exposure family.

Paul

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Phil Good to see you too! Last year was awful for my hostas, so I went into hiding. Between the deer and slugs they were pitiful all year. Hoping I got ahead of all the beasties this year and can actually enjoy my garden.

Paul - I think you are right. It was an unlabeled plant that I bought with the sport on it... whatever it is, I like it!

Good to see everyone!
    Alexa

• esox48
    11 years ago

It's always fun to have nice seedlings. Somehow they mean more to you.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Squid lips? SQUID LIPS??? You couldn't invent a name like that for love nor money!!! Might be tasty in a salad bowl though.
    Jan

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL Jan! That is one of my seedlings that has been around a while, and yes, I named it LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

If you get that one to market it will sell like hotcakes just because of the name!
    Jan

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

I love that aristocrat. And those seedlings really complaint those dusty purple heuchera. Paradise Island is gorgeous... wish it stayed that bright!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County