Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What looks good today April 26 (lots of thumbnails)

Posted by caliloo z6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 17:23

So here goes... I cannot believe how many are up (and how many survived the drowning this past winter) and looking pretty darn good this early in the year. All thumbnails are clickable (I hope). BTW - my worries and woes about all the losses I was anticipating, were for the most part, unfounded. Yes, I did lose several, but that is for a different thread.All pics were taken yesterday or today - comments encouraged!
Alexa

Yellow Seedling
Photobucket
Striptease Sport
Photobucket
Squid Lips
Photobucket
A fun trio of seedlings with other stuff
Photobucket
Paradise Island
Photobucket
Old Glory
Photobucket
NOID and sport of NOID - guesses welcome
Photobucket
Niagara Falls Seedling
Photobucket
Jim Hawes
Photobucket
Streaky seedling
Photobucket
Bowl of minis
Photobucket
Seedling -
Photobucket
Funky Monkey
Photobucket
Fragrant Blue
Photobucket
Fire Island and Paradise Joyce
Photobucket
Revolution Sport - opinions welcome
Photobucket
And a top 10 for me - ARISTOCRAT
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What looks good today April 26 (lots of thumbnails)

Lovely photos and some great choices. Your streaky seedling is looking good.
Cher

o

Alexa,

Very nice plants and not the usual suspects. Do you do much hybridizing?

Steve

o

Thanks!

Steve, yes, I do a little pollen dabbing, nothing that I am obsessive about tho. My record keeping is kind of spotty so I usually know the pod parent, but between the OP seeds and ones I dabbed... well, you get the idea. I grow a bunch of seedlings and toss most of them. I have the great luck to be near a few other hosta addicts that will sometimes let me harvest their OP seeds, plus my own, so I have a large supply. I've been into hostas for about 6 or 7 years, so my collection really took off and now I am very selective about what I buy or seedlings I keep.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments :-)

Alexa

o

Welcome back,Alexa! I looked at the thumbnails,and I think I have the clone of your NOID! So when you know,tell me! Lol! I have a couple of streaked seedlings of Korean Snow that look just like the mother plant,but I also have another from the same plant that looks nothing like the mother plant. These are all OP,so who knows what the pollen parent was? Phil

o

Thanks for sharing. Noid looks like Northern Exposure family.

Paul

o

Thanks Phil Good to see you too! Last year was awful for my hostas, so I went into hiding. Between the deer and slugs they were pitiful all year. Hoping I got ahead of all the beasties this year and can actually enjoy my garden.

Paul - I think you are right. It was an unlabeled plant that I bought with the sport on it... whatever it is, I like it!

Good to see everyone!
Alexa

o

It's always fun to have nice seedlings. Somehow they mean more to you.

o

Hmmm. Squid lips? SQUID LIPS??? You couldn't invent a name like that for love nor money!!! Might be tasty in a salad bowl though.
Jan

o

LOL Jan! That is one of my seedlings that has been around a while, and yes, I named it LOLOLOL!

Alexa

o

If you get that one to market it will sell like hotcakes just because of the name!
Jan

o

I love that aristocrat. And those seedlings really complaint those dusty purple heuchera. Paradise Island is gorgeous... wish it stayed that bright!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here