Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn squirrels digging divots in my mulch!

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 17:53

Every day I have to kick the mulch back over the holes the varmints dig. There AIN'T no nuts in my gardens, dumb squirrels! What can I do to keep them from digging up my mulch?

'Nother question: To keep the idiot "landscape workers" from busting holes in my decorative edging fences, I have determined that digging a 4" wide moat x 4" deep on the outside of the decorative edging and filling it with something would give a buffer around the edging, so they would not knick and puncture my edging. My choices of fill for the moat are mulch and pea gravel. I think the dumb squirrels would dig up the moats if I used mulch. Would pea gravel work well, or would it invite weeds? I would also tap in one of those lawn edging products that only stick up an inch or so, on the side of the moat opposite the decorative edging.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn squirrels digging divots in my mulch!

I uncovered a few pips today (mulch) so the sun could get down in there and warm the soil... looked over and a squirrel was chewing right on the short little nub of Halycon ...he will end up in a stew !

o

The pea gravel is going to end up in the grass.... looks awful. I have that problem around my playset.

You need a bigger rock.... like a 2+". Anything smaller shifts around too much.

But since you're spending money on that, why not just spring for real stone to edge the garden.

o

This is mean but I sprinkle cayenne pepper when I plant bulbs they do not dig.

The lawn people they work for me they break it they buy it. Once they have to pay me they no longer break, cut, damage anything in my garden. I wish I could give those same rules to the deer and groundhogs.

I stomped my feet at the deer the other day and she stomped her feet back at me and kept eating. Hit her with a rock she left and came back with her friends.

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 15:17

When they get too close and run over your moat with the mower (and you know those knuckle heads will) it'll send pea gravel flying.

How many linear feet do you need? Check the link below for an interesting product...

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: garden edging

o

You could use edging which does not let grass grow through it into your garden. I use heavy duty black rubber edging, 20 ft for around $8 at Home Depot. I pound 10 inch galvanized steel nails through the vertical part to keep it in place. It also comes in 60 ft rolls for $25. Those landscapers can run over it with their machines, the border is only a little higher than the ground, blades will never touch it.
Bernd

o

DGregory: I considered using that product, but it's made of recycled rubber from old tires and leaches toxins into the environment. Also, I read in a blog that grass clippings lodge in the fibers and it's near impossible to dislodge them. Then it looks terrible. I can get stones a bit bigger than pea gravel.

I think buying real stone, although it would be gorgeous, would run at least $200 or more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here