Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saturday shopping trip

Posted by ravensfan52 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 17:59

Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting a hosta nursery about 40 minutes away, in York Springs PA.It is called the Hosta Hideaway. It is a personal residence, with the backyard turned into beautiful display gardens and pathways on a tiered hillside. The owners are very friendly, helpful, and you can tell they love their business. Here are a few shots from the nursery, then I will show you what I bought:
 photo image-19.jpg

photo image-18.jpg

photo image-17.jpg

photo image-16.jpg

This was a new one for 2013, called Ripple Effect. I did not buy it but took a pic to show you all as it looked pretty neat.

photo image-20.jpg

OK, here is what I got. Most all of them were on my wish list, and 2 new ones "spoke to me" while I was there :) The pics show most of them planted from when I got home:

Altantis
Atlantis photo image-35.jpg

Summer Breeze
Summer breeze photo image-34.jpg

First Frost - will go in a pot under the J. maple:
First frost photo image-33.jpg

Afterglow
Afterglow photo image-32.jpg

Regal Splendor
Regal splendour photo image-31.jpg

Touch of Class
Touch of class photo image-29.jpg

Cascades (this was an impulse buy)
Cascades photo image-28.jpg

Blue Ivory (will be next to Blue Angel)
Blue ivory photo image-26.jpg

Dick Ward
 photo image-25.jpg

Rhino Hide (my other impulse buy)
 photo image-24.jpg

Paradise Island - the yellow on this one is electrifying!!
It will go in a pot in a shady area by the house.
 photo image-23.jpg

Dance with Me
 photo image-22.jpg

I also got Queen of the Seas and June Fever, but the pics didn't upload correctly. They all are smaller divisions, but I am fine with that. I was also given a free hosta, Loyalist, which was a very nice surprise. There were 2 other hostas that my eye kept wandering to, but I didn't get them due to budget. One was Marilyn Monroe and the other was Chain Lightning. I don't have pics, but google them! Anyway, thought you'd like to see the haul :) Here's to a warmer week for everyone...
Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saturday shopping trip

Amy,

I don't know how shady the spot is that you have planned for Paradise Island, but a light hosta like that would like more sun.

Jon

o

Wow I bet that was a fun trip! There is place like that ab out 30 miles from my house...I NEED to get down there and check it out!

You bought some very nice selections, many of them are on my wish list too. I bought Ripple effect and First Frost last year and today I went to the local nursery and picked up a nice Sagae, Queen of the Seas and Neptune. I would love to find a Blue Ivory and Atlantis.

Linda :)

o

Nice haul. Thanks for sharing your experience. I like to know about these special spots so I can visit when I travel.

Beverly

o

Nice group of hosta you picked up. I encourage you to keep a spot in your gardens for some solids, they help showcase the variegated ones.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

o

I am jealous of that little field trip ! What a sight..

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 22:57

Extremely successful shopping trip!

-Babka

o

Pretty looking place, thanks for taking the time to share! we absolutely love these little private places and seek them out. we got our ripple effect from the originator at his gardens 2 years ago when we were visiting Lisik Gardens. Phil and Ginger caught me looking longingly at one of the private greenhouses and graciously invited me in for a look. one of several great private gardens to visit in Michigan! K Gardens just south of Grand Rapids MI is a MUST see, and where e find the best value. It's only 90 miles south of us, so we go ar least twice a year. north of us in Interlochen Michigan is cedar hedge gardens by Donna. don't mistake it for the other one in interlochen which is nowhere near as good

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here