Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

What's your procedure when you find a sport?

I have a couple of sports that I would like to separate this year. One is on an Aureo-Marginata and the other one is on a Francee. Take a look at Francee's sport:

In the last couple of weeks, several people on the board have mentioned that they don't have much luck when they cut off a sport, the sport doesn't make it. Ken mentioned that somebody (don't remember who, right off) cuts the leaves off of the parent plant so that all the energy goes to the sport. Others just leave it and see what happens. Well, there must be some successful way to separate mom from babe. What gives? What do the big wigs do? What would you do if this was your hosta?

Comments (14)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

The one to cut off the leaves on the parent was/is Van Wade, if I remember the story correctly. He's about as big a wig as it gets. Email Chris and ask him.

In the case of the one in the photo, I would do that. Francee is dirt cheap and readily available.

I wait and see if they come back the next year. They haven't, so far. I haven't had many, though.

bk

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Van Wade, couldn't remember which it was, thanks, Bkay! You brought up a good point that I should clarify as well before I get asked. Yes, I am perfectly willing to sacrifice Francee for this sport, fyi. That is the direction that I am leaning as well, but wanted to get some opinions before I made the move.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I have two sports from Gold Standards,and what I did was observe them for at least two years until I determined that the sport was staying. I then dug up the entire plant,and separated the sport,and planted it away from the original plant. In the case of my most recent sport,named Misty Mountain,I replanted the gold Standard right back in its original place,and it didn't even miss a beat! The other one is called Gold Frost,and looks similar,but with subtle differences. But having said all that,I agree with the others,Francee is very cheap,and a good grower. You could separate it right away,and the Francee probably wouldn't even notice. Nice sport,BTW! Phil

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Beautiful sport. Good luck with it.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I agree, that's a really nice and striking sport, Funn. Hope it thrives for you. It's sportin' all over on the forum this week.

Don B.

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago

I took these two off of H. Ice Age Trail last summer. I would normally leave them on for a season or two and see how they develop. In the case of the parent being a streaker I prefer to play safe and cut them out as soon as I see them to prevent reversion.

They are both being grown under the same light conditions and seem to be different enough to be separate plants.
    Time will tell.

Dave

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Does your sport stay the same colour all growing season?

We have a very similar sport of Francee that is viridescent and turns all green by the middle of summer, looking just like Francee again. It's very awesome to see and photograph in the spring.

We divided ours from the mother plant and had no problems with growth.

Vanessa

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago

As I only divided last year it's too early to tell.
    It made a little growth last year.
    This year I'm waiting to see what happens.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i figured out step one ...

and the key is.. that you are guessing ...

tape off the two parts .. dig it up.. and lets find out where the sport is ...

if its in the center of the crown ... you can not divide it out.. it will rot.. so we would tend toward the wade method ...

if its off to the side.. and can be removed with little or no cutting ... i might remove it ...

the key is.. quit guessing ...

have you looked at the progeny of francee.. to see if there is anything similar out there???

get us some pix of it bare rooted.. and we can opine further ... just repot it.. while we decide ...

i suspect.. that tidd's plants will end up the same.. as they mature... they seem awful young.. but who knows... so keep us posted ...

ken

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, not guessing at all, this is a side sport and has two eyes with lots of room between it and the mother plant. That was the first thing that I looked at. I don't have to even remove the media to see that it would be an easy removal, it's got a couple of inches in between the sport and Francee.

and Yep, I did look to see if there was a sport out there like it and there is one named Academy Streaked Francee, but there are no pics anywhere, so the knowledge that Francee has a streaked sport isn't very helpful with no pic.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I waited 2 yrs before separating the blue sport from 'June'. My thanks to Idiothe/Jim for his terrific tutorial on sporting last year. :-). I await with eagerness for the sport to emerge. My culling of the sport was very straightforward; pulled off blue section from mother plant and potted both up. (No cutting required) June is emerging...have not checked last two days yet for blue. But I'll go out now. :-)

Funnthsun, you have a very interesting coloured sport there! As do you, Dave! It's so exciting - you never know what to expect, and then when they do appear, they are so different from the parent, as in Francee. I'm not as familiar with IAT but the sports are very lovely.
    Jo

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Here's mine:

Vanessa

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Vanessa, what was that one attached to? Francee too? Nice streaks.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Yes, my streaked one is from Francee, too :)