Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

This is New To Me, and I Like It...

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

I've never seen pips the size of my thumb, not in my own gardens, anyway. But that's how big the pips on 'Deluxe Edition' and 'Sum and Substance' are at this point in their growth. Exciting times for me in my young hosta gardens.

Two thumbs up!
Don B.

Comments (19)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Two thumbs down for not showing a picture. ;-)

tj

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No pics, sorry, TJ. Camera battery is dead and gone; New one has shipped, will be here in a day or two. That is all.

Don B.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Sagar with 13 pips two years old and a picture. Biggest pip 11/2 thumbs and 6 in tall .

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

Its a whole new world to me too this year.

So where are the photos Don?

ok never mind got skyped while replying hadn't seen replys yet

Denis

This post was edited by mountainy_man on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 19:29

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Just noticed that I can't type or read to edit it!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice, Sunnywood. Always nice to see the margins good and developed even before they unfurl.

Sorry about no pics; Will provide some as soon as battery gets here.

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

That is exciting Don, for sure. How long have you had S&S and Deluxe Edition?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since just last spring, NHL. 'Liberty' has a couple nice ones coming up, too. Got 'Liberty' in 2012, so maybe it's gonna leap for me.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Don, now you've got me measuring pips! I love counting them to document growth. When my Sagae and S & S poke through, I'm going to measure too! Just for curiosity. SS will be emerging for the second year and should have pretty hefty-sized pips.

Are you the only one with Deluxe Edition? I'm not sure I've seen that name before yours.

Beautiful pips, Sunnywood!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think Faye (?) has one. I know Ken has one, evidence is in the library! It must be a biggie by now.

Don B.

10 years ago

You got S&S and Deluxe Edition just last spring! The growth you have is fantastic! You say your Liberty is doing well also? What a score!!!!!

Nothing much happening here. But today I was checking some of my pots and I see eyes on my War Paint. Hurray! Seeing more eyes or thicker eyes is so satisfying. I am sure you know exactly what I mean!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, NHL. The S&S and Deluxe Edition were pretty good-sized pieces I received last year. The Liberty I got in 2012 was pretty tiny. Didn't do much last year, either. Nothing out-of-the-ordinary there. Maybe it's Liberty's year to mature a bit. Fingers crossed.

A question about War Paint; I know the center variegation does fade after several weeks, but does it still stay a different, slightly lighter shade than the margin, as opposed to becoming solid green?

Thanks,
    Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree, new to me and I like it......

Deluxe Edition is a greenie? So, like Mountainy Man, I'll wait and see what yours looks like, since it isn't a FRAGRANT greenie.

What is so satisfying to me at this time of rapture, is that I may be able to keep them going after all!

Not all of them, for I'm about to place an emergency phone call to GreenMt and have a replacement Princess Anastasia added to my order about to ship. It is not coming back this year, and it was so NICE last year.

I miss this one, but I have to replace it. My sister-in-law the 93 year old nun is Anastasia, my DH's favorite relative, and he was so proud to tell her how it looked.

Notice it is my favorite variegation--dark green irregula margins with a brassy golden mid leaf. Here it is last August. See what I mean? Holding its own this good last year, and now zip!

10 years ago

I got a nice sized one only last year. After its spring "show," it turns completely green and at that point resembles Niagara Falls. Here is a picture.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's pretty awesome NHL, if the 'Bummer' stage of a plant basically just makes it look like another awesome hosta, namely 'Niagara Falls'

Can't lose, in my opinion. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think 'Princess Anastasia' is one I'll try. I first read it was a small one, so my interest waned. BUT seems it can get pretty good-sized. Thanks for posting, Mocc. Brings it back to the forefront, if you catch my drift?

Cheers,
    Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, this is great that you have pips showing, and then fat ones! I had to pour boiling water into the soil to melt ice to permit me planting young arborvitaes. No hosta pips yet here.
    Bernd

• gardens1
    10 years ago

I purchased War Paint late last summer, at first glance thought it was mislabelled, then realized upon close examination, especially if you tilt the leaves to catch the light just the right way, you can still see the lines of the variegation, very subtle, but still there. Can't wait to see it's spring show!

10 years ago

I'm with you gardens1. I can't wait to see the show War Paint puts on. I didn't get to enjoy the full effect last year as I received it when the "show" was half over.

Don, I remember Jim (idiothe) saying in a previous thread that War Paint was a two for one hosta---War Paint and then a look alike of Niagara Falls. I am really liking it so far.