Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

They could have filmed "Noah" right here!

esther_b
9 years ago

I feel drowned. It has been raining, HARD, all day, and there's no letting up until mid-morning tomorrow.

I hope it doesn't drown my garden, but there doesn't seem to be any water pooling in it. So, I guess my drainage is OK and up to the task.

I called Josh from Inthecountry today about my hosta order. He said it's raining out in Iowa so much, he hasn't been able to get out into his fields.

Wow.

How much rain have YOU gotten in the past couple days?

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a sprinkle ... its real dry out there

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

The bad weather missed us totally. It was forcasted for Saturday night, but it went north of us.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

We haven't had 3" total in the whole last YEAR, and are facing water rationing this Summer. What a strange year.

Babka

• lupinguy
    9 years ago

I've had about 2.5 inches in the past 36 hours. Not even close to what they have had on in parts of the gulf coast.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hasn't rained here in 10-14 days or so. Or snowed. There's been both in the general area, but it's missed us so far.

Don B.

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

I got a new pot for my young Komodo Dragon and sat it (empty) in the yard until I could plant it this coming weekend. There s probably 8-10 inches of water in the bottom from the last few days, and another round coming tonight. Tomorrow it should dry out and a slow warmup to the 70s by late next week. I can't remember such a cold spring. I have never waited this long to plant annuals and the veggie garden. Crazy!

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the latest NYC radar. The large nasty-looking red area over Harrisburg should hit us in another hour or so. We've gotten over an inch of rain just today.

The sidewalk alongside my back yard dips slightly on its way to the street behind our buildings. It is totally under water, with the water extending several feet to either side onto the lawn.

Holy cow!

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

It has rained steadily, albeit gently, all day here 2 mi. south of the MA state line. I haven't checked my rain gauge but it's out there so I should have some measure of total rainfall once it stops. I hope it stops before too long--my cellar floods.

The large nasty-looking red area over Harrisburg worries me if it's headed northeast.

ravensfan52 - I can't recall a colder, wetter spring either. I keep garden notes from one year to the next. So far (according to my notes) we're nearly six weeks behind where we were last year.

• User
    9 years ago

You really want to know how much rain?
    Well, 4 inches Monday, 11 inches Tuesday. That was officially. In our neighborhood, my garden buddy lives behind us sat her 5 gallon bucket out in the open, and it had 13 inches. They said 3 inches an hour for a while. Downtown was flooded still this morning, but we had a sunshiny day until mid aft. Now they say 60% showers tonight but no storm.

I'm glad we took the edge off the storm for you guys up north, but it seems this storm just keeps on giving. The jet stream dropped down to give us a cool front, but it won't be cold here.

I have a soggy lawn, a hosta garden with some rain beaten leaves on low substance hosta, mostly the ones I did not get beneath the protection of trees. Just some shredded leaves, especially on the hosta which had some frost damage already. Thankfully I had the repot project of the nondraining pots well under way.

The rainfall amount we got was record breaking, back to like 1870s....but we fared better than the Florida Panhandle which got 21 inches in 24 hours, with 5.6 inches coming down in 45 minutes, last I heard. That is a real gully washer.
    ILOVETOGROW is on the east coast of Florida, don't think she got that amount of rainfall since the storm turned northward to get Atlanta and so on north.

All you folks in the way of this rain event, keep your eyes open.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

We had a crazy amount of rain (even for WA state) all last week and some the week before. I felt like I was wading through my garden. I was worried my hostas would drown, but no one did.

Yesterday and today were in the low 80's and tomorrow's supposed to be 90 degrees! Now, some of my light edged hostas have burnt leaves. Poor plants! I had to go out and cover a few of the more sensitive ones with buckets so they wouldn't get burned to a crisp.

After tomorrow, its supposed to go down to the low 60's and start raining heavily again. It's been wacky weather here!

• santamiller
    9 years ago

PLEASE send some rain to Texas. We have been so dry the last three years in most of the state. East Texas, not even an hour from you, bkay, has had a lot of rain over the winter and spring. It's as green out there as I can ever remember. Here in SA and in most of the state we're struggling.

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

As always, those zany weather events pass well south of me. Everything from excruciating heat to heavy rain, massive snowstorms, hurricanes or tornados - all track south or east of the Great Lakes. Drizzle here all week but nothing like the record rainfalls elsewhere.

I am an amateur weather watcher - my weather station here recorded a high yesterday of 3C (38F) ... cool but not unusual.

Many on the forum have complained of a late spring. I have lived here 37 years in the rural Ottawa Valley away from the city heat island. I checked my weather notes and yes this spring is much colder and later than last year BUT ... in 2008, the last of the snowpack melted Apr 20 much later than this year. Almost every year, I have recorded snow flurries in early to mid May. I am hardpressed to say this spring is a record cold one though it has been cool. By late May the hostas will all be unfurled and another season upon us just as it always is :)

The winter that went by had about a 15% increase in heating degree days (a measure of cold used by home heat companies to measure heating demand) over the 10 year average marking it as one of the 10 coldest winters in the last hundred years. Still not a single record cold temp was recorded.

Doug

• User
    9 years ago

Santa, the first year I worked in Aransas Pass TX was about 1982. They had a drought that year too, and the docks had locks on the water supply so boats could not access fresh water. The marsh and all the crabs and such in it baked and the ground cracked. The native sunflowers had a quarter inch of dust on the fuzzy leaves, but they survived.

Your observation about East Texas and how green it was....well, that is the way it happened for me too. When I finally took off and came home to Alabama, after 6 months working down there, I crossed the state line and saw the sign WELCOME TO ALABAMA THE BEAUTIFUL, with all the green grass, the big dark green oak trees with NO dry dust choking them, and I felt like kissing the green earth. It was good to be back home.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I remember in 1968-1970 my office in Wellsvile, NY, at the Pa border was betting when the last snow would be melting on a north facing slope which could be seen from the office. Usually it was mid- May. So a cold spring is nothing new.
    Bernd

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio