Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Update on hosta patio garden

brandys_garden
10 years ago

U. Albomarginata has over 40 (that I could count withough losing count) eyes up now! Wheee has 8 and Luna moth has 10, possibly 11! F. Hyacinthina has 3. Mama Mia has probably 20 or so.... And Pauls Glory has 4 that I counted today. BME still has just the 2 but I know it's a slow grower. Worried about my Fire Island, though. Last year, it was the first one of the "babies" up and ready to go. Not this year. It has a couple of eyes still under the soil. As does PUD. Trying not to get impatient but I also lost one more. Wide Brim felt a lot soggy so I checked it and it's crown rot. So I've lost 2. The first year I've ever lost any. But, it was a hard winter and it was difficult to go out and take off the ice and snow without pulling off the mulch and leaving them vulnerable. :( *Sigh*

Comments (3)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Sorry for your losses, Brandi. But I can feel your enthusiasm for the season to begin. BTW, I love all your new pots.

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi Brandy! I was wondering if you were going to get another Dream Queen? After seeing Don's post showing his DQ it makes me want to replace the one I also lost with another. It's a beauty. I always thought Dream Weaver and Dream Queen looked similar, but looking at Don's, it isn't so!

Just wondering if you were going to replace her too. I am really hoping my potted casualties are very minimal this winter...it's tough to lose a hosta when you've never lost one before.! ( I've always had them all in the ground.)

So sorry you lost Wide Brim! :-( bummer, eh?

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 0:36

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well hopefully it will let me post this message. SMH. Stupid site! Anyway, my loss count is now 3. I lost the little Paul's Glory, the one I got right before the season ended. The first Pauls Glory is back and ready to start. There are a couple of them I am still worried about. So I am trying not to be disheartened. As the Hosta guy pointed out, it was a bad winter and some losses are to be expected. But, also as I've said before this is the first year I've lost any. It's kind of a bummer.

The ones I am NOT worried about at all...
    U. Albomarginata- over 50 eyes and counting! She's my first and she will be magnificent this year!
    Luna Moth- 10 eyes and counting, she will also be magnificent this year! My first from Hallson's.
    Fortunei Hyacinthina- she has 3 eyes this year whereas before she only had one. She is still a baby though.
    Fortunei Aureomarginata
    Mama Mia
    Pauls Glory
    Minuteman
    Wheee- has 9 or more eyes and will be magnificent, too!
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Patriot
    Midwest Magic

The ones that concern me a little as they have something but not a lot going on so I put them in a place where they can get more sun for the time being:
    Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    Fire Island

These are the ones I am still worried about unfortunately:
    El Nino- unlike the Hosta guy, I see no signs of life from this guy from Hallson's. I am hopeful but I am thinking he's a loss, too. :(
    Fragrant Blue- it has eyes but they seem "mushy" to me.
    Fire and Ice- same as Fragrant Blue.
    Orange Marmalade- I can't tell on this one. It may have been too late for this one, too. It was one, the last one I got in the season last year.

So my loss count is currently 3 but may include 4 more unfortunately. I hope not. Especially not El Nino and Orange Marmalade.

I don't know what I'll replace Dream Queen with. I have my eyes on Avocado, Rainbows End, and a couple of others still. Right now I am waiting to see what comes through and what doesn't still. But I seem to have a good success rate with the first all weather pots and the most expensive ones I buy. The highest success rate is with them in overwintering. Not impressed with the cheaper version of those that Dream Queen and Fragrant Blue were in. Though Wheee did well thankfully. Looks like if anything buy the most expensive (and pretty) or just use the old terra pots.