Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

spring walk thru pictures

leafwatcher
12 years ago

Just thought I would take a few pics as the storm started to build.. not much light but hopefully something new to see...

I always drool over others pictures I hope to return the favor now and then. Its pretty early and I have some that are ahead of others...

Great Expectations...

Sagae ...should say 3 weeks ago now that I think of it !!

Comments (12)

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Guardian Angel, just bought this last fall on sale.. one of my first potting attempts..

the picture does NOT do this plant justice ! bought last fall from Hallsons I believe.

fall purchase from Hallsons

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A larger pic of last years best Great Expectations ..

Fall purchase from Hallsons, this plant has really slowed down since the cold snap.. unfortunately

just a nice corner of the garden I HOPE fills with big beautiful plants soon !

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A. Blue Krinkles, this plant was wide and flat last year.. looks like it may try for more height this time ..

A. Drinking Gourd still coming up, not yet out so much, doesn't seem to have added any eyes. This plant was pretty root locked, I think i SHOULD HAVE BROKE IT OPEN MORE WHEN i PLANTED IT 2 YEARS AGO.

Twilight bringing up the back .. slow but sure. this was beautiful when I bought it, then didn't do much last year.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A. Moonbeam, slow.. I am not sure how I ended up with so many Abiquas in one end of the garden.. but I did.. I also seemed to have picked up more blues than I ever thought I would ?

One more small Sagae, I am not sure it is going to make adult type leaves this year?

I have more plants that are further behind than these.. hiding in the shade of the shrubs.. so I watch and wait :)

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to put my Guardian Angel in a pot after seeing yours.

I haven't seen Hanky Panky come up in the spring before -- Very nice!!

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Hey leafwatcher -- you have some great looking plants, and your plant markers are really fun. That was a good winter project!
    Jan

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Loved your photos and it's always gratifying to know that there are others out there who dote on their plants. Sagae is my favorite hosta.
    Christine

• User
    12 years ago

Well, I might put Sagae as #2 on my 2013 want list....which means Nov 2012 last order, right? #1 is Paradise Island out of Fire Island. Everything about Sagae says strong, hardy, and handsome...yep, a robust HE in the hosta kingdom.

Great pictures, nice collection of plants, and I find the painted rock name tags very effective. I remember how you described your technique.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't take credit for the rock Idea, I read about it here on the board myself. But I do like it. the nice thing is if you take a decent picture the name of the plant is already in the picture, that is nice.

I also have a large diagram I wrote out so I can get the markers back in place if necessary.

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

What will you plant in the pockets of your pretty blue birdbath?
    Jan

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know, my wife says with the shade in that area we might have to do impatiens? I am even less sure of the spelling than the plant type

We did however buy a LARGE pottery piece today for the front of the house, a lightish blue with butterflies raised on the surface... I would like to do a bright yellow hosta in it, possibly Choo Choo train .

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Impatiens are one of my very favourite annuals (OK I know lots of gardeners think they are overdone) they work SO HARD all season long and demand almost nothing in return except water..They'll look great in your bird bath.
    Jan

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus