Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petiole2

Hosta Club sale in DC this weekend fri/sat

petiole2
11 years ago

Potomac Hosta Club (potomachostaclub.com ) will participate in the Friends of the National Arboretum (FONA.com) Garden and Plant Sale open to the public Friday 1pm-4pm/Sat. 9am-4pm at the Arboretum on New York Ave. You will find many plants that can not be found at area nurseries and garden centers, including Hostas. PHC will provide robust, virus free plants, some in gallon sizes-partial listing: August Moon, Black Jack, Blue Dome, Cerveza, Dorset Blueblood, Dream Queen, Elvis Lives, Fire Island, First Frost, Great Arrival, Imperial Palace, Krossa Regal (3g), Lakesides: Cupcake; Midnight Miss; Old Smokey; Tee Ti. Little treasure, Malabar, Peacock feathers, Pilgrim, Pizzaz, Precious medal, Queen Josephine (1), Rosedale golden goose, Silver mine, Summer music, etc.

Comments (7)

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Sorry, but after reading posts from people who had HVX infected plants purchased from hosta club members, this seems like an event to regretfully avoid. Kind of sad. Had I not recently learned about HVX on this forum, I would have gone. I have two (for sure) HVX infected plants in my modest collection, and am closely watching the rest. Once burned...
    Christine

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Christine, to me, it seems a bit too broad to paint staying away from all hosta clubs because of recent hvx id'd plant(s). So by that thinking, no plant from a box store, On-line, auction, nursery, hosta grower, plant society, friend, etc since an hvx plant has undoubtedly been found in at least 1 of each of these TYPES of distribution. Heck there are hvx hosta that are registered plants.

Educate yourself, ask questions, and create good practices so that if an infected plant does show up in your garden you know what to do.

Paul

• franknjim
    11 years ago

Visiting a plant sale like that is a good way to discuss HVX. I will talk about it with anyone that will listen.

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Paul, I never heard of HVX until I started lurking on this forum a few weeks ago. My limited inquiries over the past few weeks at box stores and garden centers indicate that virtually nobody knows about this problem. Including hosta club members. In the future I will only buy from a reputable grower who knows about HVX and how to control it. That is the 'good practice' that I choose . Others may choose to quarentine all new plants. Some may choose to scrub all their equipment with bleach and use disposable gardening gloves. EAch of us has to come up with a set of practices that suits our own habits.
    Respectfully,
    Christine

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Christine, I applaud your take control approach for your gardens. My reason for responding was that petiole2 wanted us to know about their hosta clubs sale (an announcement) and your comments might discourage people from attending. They might appreciate an additional new member that is concerned about hvx. As franknjim said, maybe an opportunity to go, rather than a retreat from ....

Sorry if it was too personal.

Paul

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Ah Paul, all points well taken. I would never be:
    1. a diplomat
    2. a poker player.

Happy gardening,
    Christine

p.s.
    3. a politician
    4. an attorney
    5. an ostrich

• petiole2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Potomac Hosta Club members read your posting. We are very sorry that you have suspected/ confirmed hostas with the Hosta Virus X. PHC members have the test strips for the virus if you have not had them tested. We believe the new rapid test strips to be reliable and portable. They can be used in the field or greenhouse and work with leaf or root material. Additionally, the American Hosta Society has pertinent info you may be interested in reading at www.americanhostasociety.org. Our club is serious about our hosta gardens and would like to know which hosta varieties are a problem. If it is a unique cultivar, we may be able to trace the grower in question. If we may be of any service please email us at hostaclub@gmail.com.