Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

YOUR Why isn't this more popular? Hosta

I'm sure everyone has a hosta (or two!) that just takes your breath away, but no one ever seems to mention it on the forum. I thought it would be fun/educational/enabling to post one of your hostas that, every time you see it, just begs the question: Why isn't this one more popular?

Here's mine:

Bluetooth, a 2011 intro from Beilstein that just amazes me:

Mine is only 2 years old, so still small, but it will be large in size, when it's all grown up. It is so unique in the shape of the leaf, here's a closeup:

and it is sooooo blue! Not sure if it will hold the blue, I'll find that out this year, but the spring blue, at least is the exact same color as Prairie Sky. I know several of you are familiar with Prairie Sky's gorgeous powder blue color. Look at Blue Tooth paired against a green:

So, what's yours?

Comments (46)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi, Funn...

It's not exactly unknown to hosta people, but 'Spring Fling' is what I thought of when I read your post. It may have been popular in years past, but I don't know. (registered in 2000) SHOULD be popular now, in my opinion.

'Bluetooth' looks really nice. I see it's rather new. Give it time, maybe it'll get popular. You can say you had it before it was cool. ; )

Don B.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

First one that popped into my head was Templar Gold...

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

My first thought went to Fortunei Aureomarginata. Mine is in it's second year and it's colors are electric. It was a $6.99 plant from Lowe's last year.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 21:18

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Bluetooth is a nice one! Amazing how you really see the blue by contrast.

The first one that came to my mind is 'Fair Maiden.' This is Don's picture...I was looking for the single leaf shot, but this is actually the one that sold me on it. I love the grayish green streaks through the variegation, and it has tripled in size for me over one season.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Not really breathtaking, and perhaps its slowness (its a tokudama) or the ugly pics in the Hosta Library (the last pic is a good one) keeps it below the radar, but I always wondered why 'Blue Shadows' isn't more popular.

tj

• User
    9 years ago

Don sold me on Fair Maiden also. I really am pleased to have it, in the bunch which arrived today.

One that I always find photogenic, and take lots of pictures because it is gorgeous, is Mariachi. Maybe it will rise in popularity. This is it last August 2013

and now here it is this April 2014. Looks as good as the other major fragrant variegated hosta, don't you think?

It is a sport of Guacamole, a chimeral reversal. What's not to like?

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Oh dear, now I have to add Bluetooth to my list and I have run out of room!!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I know why So Sweet is not that popular. It's an older variety.

I walked out to water the hosta this afternoon, after trying to rearrange hosta to get some shade. It's been a difficult day. I have an empty slab, stacks of lumber, lots of tire tracks, trenches everywhere and there was So Sweet. It's just a really nice hosta, especially for the South. It is sassy and curly and you know right away she's a girl. She's a beautiful hosta. I can't wait to meet Kevin Vaughn.

bk

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Every time this type of post circles around, I have to add my favorite old standby, Shade Fanfare. To me, this one should be called "Spring Fanfare".... because I LOVE it when it's in this stage here...basically when the tulips are in bloom.
    Is there a day or two in your garden that you look forward to every year? This is one of my favorite moments each year... with everything in my yard that has come and gone, watching Shade Fanfare spread open is like welcoming back my dearest, most dependable friend.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Mary, that is just beautiful. What a scene!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Mary, beautiful! I was happy two days ago to see pips and is that your Shade Fanfare now?

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Thank you Jadie & Paula.

Paula, no I just grabbed the photo out of my files. I think that was 2007ish, but every year it's very dependable for me and always looks great unless we have very bad weather at the exact moment. The hosta always looks like this when the single late tulips are in full bloom, so that will be much later this year than most, I imagine.

As a side note, if you ever have to recommend a landscaping hosta to someone who isn't really a gardener, I think this is a great one to recommend. It looks very nice all season long and can take a bit of sun.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

On the list it goes! Thanks for the pics, Mary.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I really like your grouping. What is the one on the right side with a couple of leaves showing?

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Thank you Paula, that'd be Sagae.
    Below it is Eola Blue Sapphire

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I completely agree about Krugerrand. I had never heard of it before this week...how is such a beautiful hosta under the radar when there aren't even look-alikes to detract from it? That vase shape plus huge leaves is very distinctive for a solid yellow.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Melissa,

And the blue one on the left - Blue Cadet?

Thanks,
    Paula

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Paula, no, BC is not as blue.
    That one is Topaz. I love it when paired with a gold like Krugerrand.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I don't have Blue Cadet, but I thought that might be an example judging by the size. I love the colour of the hosta in your photo and the contrast within the grouping, thanks for the name - on the list it goes. :)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Night before Christmas is never mentioned. It is reliable every year, just the right amount of white center vs. green margin. Elegant, but noticeable.

Love Bluetooth. Very different.Deeply impressed veins.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I don't have a current pic,but mine are up and growing well. It is Moerheimeii I don't know if that is proper spelling,but it is supposed to be a German version of Antioch. It always looks good,and this year managed to avoid the freeze,because it was barely in the eye stage when it hit. Phil

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Here it is Bressingham Blue. A great blue hosta which is my biggest by far. I grow Blue Angel, Elegans and Krossa Regal. Love all three. But BB is tops here. I'm surprised it is not grown by more of you.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Paula, I think your sense of scale might be a little off. :-)

Topaz's leaves are close to twice the size of Blue Cadet. So, knowing that, you can really tell just how big Krugerrand is!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Yes, my scale is off, that is a lot bigger than I thought!

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

I agree the suggestions above are great plants. One of Phil's unsung beauties is Eventide. Even though it's similar to Spring Fling there looks to be a difference. I don't have it but some day one will find it's way into my hands.

Here are a few of the hostas I always wonder why everyone doesn't grow.

Cool Hand Luke - Maybe it needs to be seen close to be appreciated but I love this one for it's difference in having a tiny margin and indestructible quality.

I got Ophir the same year I got Fire Island. Both are bright yellow in the spring turning light green. Fire Island is great but Ophir has grown larger, faster and stays more yellow. That is probably because it's in sun which Fire Island isn't.

I've posted this one quite a bit. I was debating between Clovelly and Ruffed Up one year. Surprise, I bought both. Ruffed Up has performed much, much better and I love everything about it.

Incoming is wonderful through all the seasons. The picture was taken in early October after spending the summer in hot, afternoon sun.

• jimr66
    9 years ago

A mature Jade Cascade is both awesome for size (Montana heritage) and cool leaf shape. very rarely mentioned or seen for sale but 1 of my favorite green hosta (along with Niagra Falls and Lakeside prophesy)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I found this old pic of Eventide,which I got form Wade and Gatton waay back in 2009. This plant isn't in this spot anymore,and is growing in the other garden,but isn't fully leafed yet. It was spared the freeze,since it is a late riser. Phil

{{gwi:921925}}

• esox48
    9 years ago

Golden Sculpture doesn't get a lot of ink.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Esox48. - I'm looking for a thread which I haven't found yet....I wanted to look at this one again and found your entry. I obviously missed some.

WOW is what I say to your 'Golden Sculpture'! I haven't heard of it before but love the subtle colour of the gold and green... A stately looking specimen. It has wonderful attributes such as rugosity, shape, colour, drape effect yet upright, etc etc. Thanks for posting it - it caught my eye! A beautiful photograph of a beautiful hosta.

Jo
    P.S. I found your 2009 thread regarding this hosta and now realize I have seen it before. I stayed up many nights shortly after joining this forum, reading thread after thread. My reaction to your GS today is the same as last year - I would love to have one! I really wish I had more room to grow more hosta! :-)

This post was edited by josephines67 on Fri, May 2, 14 at 11:58

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Oh dear, now I have to add Bluetooth to my list and I have run out of room.

I really wish I had more room to grow more hosta! :-)

Mariachi in the above photo grabbed me by the throat. I no longer have space for more hostas people!

Sorry, no pic, but I have Gold Standard growing in part sun in an east-facing bed that gets quite a bit of sun exposure. It's come up for 7+ years & showed no signs of distress even during July & August. Actually, looking back, none of my named hostas have shown any sign of being affected by extreme weather conditions since I planted them.

Kiwi Full Monty did get a great deal larger than it was supposed to and I was forced to divide it once it grew to twice the width on the tag--the huge leaves were blocking my granite walkway. My fault--it needed more space than I gave it.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

I haven't got access right at the momet to a picture of a it in a larger container, but I do think 'Tick Tock' deserves better exposure. Reminds me of in immature 'June' in shady environs.

Pieter

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, I hear you, Gardenweed. I'm out of room as well, so I panicked and ordered 5 more. Oops!

Don B.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

For those who like hosta flowers:

Sparkling Burgundy

• Eleanor B
    9 years ago

no pic, but one of my favorites that rarely-to-never gets mentioned....Emily Dickinson

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I second Jade Cascade. This year, I am still waiting to see some pips...sigh

{{gwi:967503}}

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Jade Cascade looks pretty sweet. Tick Tock looks pretty nice, too. All this enabling, OMG. Makes it way too easy. Where am I gonna put these? I'm a big fat LOSER as far as pot-growing goes. Better mark off some more lawn. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Lakeside Kaleidoscope' is a favorite; I've no idea if it's ever been well-known.

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Don, my Jade Cascade is in a pot sunk into the ground and it has been growing like that since 2008.
    Funny; because I was just looking out my front window thinking..."hmmm, that grass isn't looking very healthy I should take some out and put in some more hostas!"

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I like the way you're thinking, Paula.

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Mary, I think one of my NOIDs is Shade Fanfare. I've always liked it, will have to see if the flowers and scapes are right and give it a label if they are.

Bressingham Blue looks like it's going to be a monster! I might have to move mine, as it's planted a foot from a fence.

It's not really that different or unusual, but I've always liked American Halo.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Paula, That Jade Cascade is the most beautiful one I've ever seen. I have it and love it but it's no where near that full or mature. Just recently I dug around, intending to dig it up if I found roots strangling it but there weren't that many. I added manure and left it where it was. Your plant is the one I dream it will become. Way to go.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Thank you, mctavish6. Coming from you that means a lot because you have so many beautiful hostas.

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

I have several favorites that are so beautiful. One of them is Katie Q. I bought it because it is my daughters name.

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

I guess mine would have to be Summer Breeze? Lots of compliments on her and people asking what she is. She is definitely eye catching, that's for sure. Her and Grand Tiara. But from what I understand, the tiara's are very popular?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Lakeside Cindy Cee' is a great-looking hosta of that I've just become aware. I'm happily surprised it's not hugely popular. Heh heh heh. It's the spitting image of my Aden-420 and Aden-553 hybrid.

This is a pic of Steve's plant, Taken by Steve. So he says, anyhoo... Aren't you going out of town for a few days next week? I can water your gardens if you like, Steve. Hostas take lots of water; I could be there to make sure they get all they need, young man.

Sincerely,
    Pauley Aden

P.S. I heard you have a Stingray hybid that is simply DEVINE. I'll have extra TLC for that strapping young seedling. Needless to say ; )