Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

I have scapes!

bkay2000
9 years ago

I've been working in the yard most of the day, cleaning and trying to congure up some shade. I had seen a scape on my new LS Shore Master a couple of days ago. I ignored it, as I'm pretty sure it's greenhouse grown. But, today I found a scape on my Olive Bailey Langdon! Boy, it's really early. Usually my green NOID is the first to bloom, but not this time.

bk

Comments (17)

• User
    9 years ago

Okay there, BKay! Way to go!

I discovered scaped on my Sea Gulf Stream the other day, and then today on my Brother Stefan.

Isn't it wonderful the way the hosta can go from zero to 60 in a couple of weeks?

Sea Gulf Stream

Brother Stefan....2 scapes one on each eye. I think this plant is sporting on me, but we'll see.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Well, that was fast. : )

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Ice is finally out on one of the biggest lakes in the suburbs west of Minneapolis.....lol....rains this week so should see a lot plants waking in the next couple of weeks. Ground covers are growing and a few early perennials. They had 4" of snow in Duluth this week.

Paul

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Man, I feel for you guys. It's nearly May 1 and you guys are still getting snow. At least the melted lake says the temperature is rising.

Mocc, try to save the greenie. It looks like it could be a good one. I like the looks of Sea Gulf Stream. No more for me this year, though. I'm struggling to shade what I have.

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

What? Scapes? Already? Incredible! And Wow, Bkay! Aren't you the lucky one! Just shaking my head over here...but I have green showing on Sweet Bo Peep...what a difference 3 zones makes! take a peek at my humble SBP..

Mocc, I also hope you can remove, and save/grow the sport.

Jo

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, we've been in shorts and t-shirts for a month now. (Well, THEY have been in shorts and t-shirts) The kids down the block had a lemonade stand on Thursday. This is the time everyone really enjoys. Come mid July, everyone retreats to the indoors to escape the heat. If you're not at the lake, you're indoors in the hot part of the summer. We have glorious springs and falls, though.

bk

9 years ago

Come mid July it's basically the same here...:-)

I keep meaning to mention but keep forgetting - I'm so glad you got yourself a LSMaster this year! I'm eager to see how you still feel about it a couple of months from now...let me rephrase that..nearer to the end of the season in your zone. I was just thrilled with its beauty last year..what do you think so far?

• User
    9 years ago

Jo, the separation is complete, and pictures of the process are on the other thread.

BKay, we are at the mosquito stage here, they seem to be blowing in from TEXAS, the really big kind. I can remember nights on the boat when I saw radar returns that moved around erratically and it kept getting closer but no boat lights appeared....so I whipped on the ole spotlight, and our boat was engulfed in a VISIBLE CLOUD OF MOSQUITOS.

One reason people wear white clothing down south is to keep skeeters from landing on you. They heart dark clothing, you know, and can bite through the fabric. Little black dachshunds are prime targets, so my two girls have their heartworm applications regularly.

EDIT TO ADD:
    Am I the only one who has trouble with LS Shore Master?
    I keep calling it Lakeshide Sore Master? Say it fast and see if it happens for you.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 12:50

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks great. I sat it right beside Don R's Pride and Joy, so I could compare the two. Paul's Glory did great for me last year, all through the fall. I assume the two sports will do well for me, too.

bk

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, I know what you mean. Dan Patch is black and loves to hang out outside about sunset (bad time). We do heartworm medicine year round here. On the positive side, my neighbor has gotten too old to go around and water everything a little bit every day. Our mosquitos are not as bad as they used to be.

"Sore Master" is new, so we'll see. (My bane seems to be Orange Marmlade.) On this one, I got a really big start of it. It's from the dratted Blew Perennials via one of our local chains, Calloway's. I bought 1 from them in 2012, 2 in 2013 and 4 this year. I've been really pleased with the results I've gotten so far. It's a shame that I already have most of them they carry.

bk

My "sore master"

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

bkay, congratulations to have scapes.
    My LS Shoremaster was fine last year,
    Here in cool zone 5 I finally see a lot of pips. How about seeing 13 pips on a h.'Empress Wu' as I just did.
    Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

WOW! Bernd, that is fantastic. My Empress Wu came up with one eye but I'm hoping another may surface before it is all over. It came late in the year 2013, specifically to put in the new driveway bed. As my only in-ground bed, I chose the coolest spot available and many of the hosta were late emerging--compared to my pot hostas. Sum & Substance, here since 2010, is a bunch of eyes but no leaves unfurled yet. It is the last man up.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

mocc, my EW I bought 4 years ago with perhaps 3 eyes in a pot, so I expect tall things this year and 13 eyes is a great start. Bernd

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

No scapes here, not even a fully leafed out plant yet. Parhelion, who grows in a pot is about half way there and it looks like we may have freezing temps in a few days so I will have to figure out how to cover that giant plant. Most of my plants are still just coming out of the ground.

My Empress Wu has 6 eyes this year...WOO HOO! I would be so excited to have 13. Mine was planted as a one eye in 2012. I can't wait for her to get really big....hopefully next year!

Linda

9 years ago

Thanks for obliging me with a pic! :-). I want to follow yours, and anyone else's in the hotter zones for the differences in growth and look of the plant. From first glance your leaves (look gorgeous-out-of-this-world-kind-gorgeous) look glossy, larger and somewhat thinner in substance to my eye but that is an illusion, I am sure about the thinner. No negative connotation here, merely a first-look kind of reaction. Beautiful!

Going to run and check out Mocc's culling of BS. then I'm off for the week-end!

• User
    9 years ago

Like the looks of your LSSM, BKay. The leaves have a satiny gloss to them, the edges are precise and overall there is an architectural feeling to the plant. It might as it ages get a slight wave on, but I like some hosta to have flat leaves, it rests the eye. A medium to large is a great size for limited space. Have you tried tall market umbrellas, BKay? Put a small table and chair close by, so the neighbors won't think you are loco, if that bothers you. I don't worry, me....they know I'm nuts!

Rosedale Golden Goose is scaping now. When they are short, they don't show up easily, but I was poking around. Do not know how many I've done today, but I used about 2 bags of mini pine nuggets and 2 big bags of MiracleGro plus my crushed crab shells, and spagnum peat. My back is killing me, scraping the bottom of the mix barrel. I've about got the routine down, if I don't weaken!

Here is Rosedale Golden Goose. Another gold, I might add.
    These early bloomers are the opening act for the featured attraction--The Fragrance of August.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope my fragrants do well with the next flush. They were really damaged this spring. I had a gorgeous Sugar and Cream that leapt last year. It unleaped this year. All those fragrants I got from Green Mountain got zapped, too.

bk