Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Alttara Scheer, another hybridizer and her hosta

User
9 years ago

I was looking at some of my hosta the last couple of days, and mentally noted some of those surging ahead with vigor were from Alttara Scheer. You can frequently find her introductions at Naylor Creek, but elsewhere as well.

The one which really stirred my soul was her Annabel Lee, new to me in 2013. Gary at Naylor suggested it, since I have a lot by Miss Alttara already.

So if you have any to picture here from this year or previously, chime in.

Annabel Lee taken this week

and also a view of the petioles beneath those leaves

Funky Monkey...I know other folks have this one, it goes through a lot of color changes

Stephan King is not registered so far, but appropriately it has bloody red petioles. First shot when it arrived because you can see the petiole color

and a few days ago as it emerges

Jaws....rippled and serrated leaf edges. Mine is getting there

Madam....she dominates the field here.

Maya Tritone is a chartreuse leaf that develops creamy streaks between the veins more pronounced as the season progresses. Here it is last July. I don't have a picture of her this year, must make a note to get one soon to document her color changes

Cold Heart has a bit of ice blue overlay in early spring, and it has a fairly large leaf. Another one I must look for to get an early spring photo.

I also have Boyz Toy and Scallion Pancakes. Love Boyz Toy, which she named for the Boyz at Naylor Creek. And, while I love Scallion Pancakes, it has given me much trouble growing. If anyone has pictures of those and any others please share with us. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Great pics, Mocc. Pretty much all of these varieties you have look like great plants. Another one from Scheer I like a lot (do not own one) is 'Fleet Week', a 'Niagara Falls' hybrid. It's a large/X-large. Please do grace us with more pics of these plants as the season continues, I'd love to see how they will look in the coming weeks/months.

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I missed Fleet Week as being by Alttara, so thanks for the information Don.

As for updating the pictures, yes, I will be pleased to do so. I must also update on my Stuart Asch photos, since all are up and really fine looking now. Somewhere there is a thread devoted to Stuart Asch that I will track down and add the new photos to the old ones.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I especially love that 'Annabel Lee'. Quite beautiful. And 'Madame' looks as bright as can be!

Don B.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I like Shimmy Shake:

Vanessa

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yikes, I forgot all about Shimmy Shake! Holds those leaves almost horizontally with ruffles dancing. Nice, Vanessa!

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

A great hybridizer choice Mocc. I love her plants. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing Annabell Lee as it opens this year. Below are some the same (because they are favorites) and others not mentioned. Terpischore is a must have for anyone that loves the shiny greens. I'll be watching your Stephen King mature since it's been on and off my list along with Major Tom. They look interesting but I haven't seen a picture that's sold me on them quite yet.

showing the hint of blue in the leaf

For size comparison

User thanked mctavish6
  • Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I remember Alttara from those early days. She made and sold "baubles" (glass or plastic balls with paper hostas suspended in them) which were christmas ornaments which she later sold thru Naylor creek Nursery. One had a Pineapple Upside down cake that showed it in a beautiful delicate way. Her pics made me have to have PUD. Then she got involved with the hybridizers and it appears that is has been all wonderful since that. You can be PROUD of your MOM, Isabelle, she has brought a lot of happiness to many, many people with her introductions.

-Babka

• Isabelle Scheer
    7 years ago

When i was little and she was still doing lots of hybridizing, i would go around in her office and brush the dirt off the seedlings under the grow lights, lol. thought i was being so helpful.

User thanked Isabelle Scheer
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Babka, your involvement and interest in hosta culture predates mine. After I became interested in hostas, I discovered several hybridizers who embodied new thinking, including Alttara Scheer. In my mind, Alttara, beginning with her exotic given name, and her selection of plants and choice of descriptive names for them, revealed her to be what I'd call a "Renaissance Woman". . . . which is a term reserved for men generally. Intellectually creative with broad interests in many topics.

Isabelle, you must know that your mother is a strong woman. Her name is respected for more than the hostas she brings to our gardens. Thank you for contributing to our discussions on the Hosta Forum.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    7 years ago

Good to see you posting again Mocc. I have been wondering how your hosta collection is doing. Are they getting big now? Would love to see pictures.

Linda : )

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

Me too, Mocc. Curious if the ones you planted in the ground lasted for more than 3 years. Mine just dwindled.

-Babka