Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smushed Paradigm

Posted by bkay2000 8a TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 19:15

My stepson sprayed my hosta yesterday (it's been a banner year for the munchers at my house). He dropped Paradigm, squarely upsidedown. It broke the top out of both eyes.

What should I do (other than cane my stepson)?

Will it put up more leaves to fill in the hole? Should I trim the leaves? If so, should I try to cut them really close to the bottom? Should I just leave it alone and see what happens? Any other ideas?

bkay

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smushed Paradigm

Bkay not likely it will put out more leaves as the new eyes for next years growth are probably not produced yet. Thats an unfortunate problem with this genus of plant if damaged during the season they usually don't grow new leaves until the following year. Last summer I dropped a shovel on Plantaginea destroying most of it's leaves. It did bloom but was a funny looking loop sided plant till it went dormant.

Scott

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 20:37

Leave it ugly,and wait and see...or cut them off where they broke. Unless the leaves are broken clear off, they still can provide food, but if you can't stand to look at the plant...

Many hostas produce a second flush. Paradigm is a vigorous grower. There used to be a method called "stomping" in order to mash down the existing eyes and force more dormant eyes to get growing.

Van Wade (I think?)wrote an article for the Hosta Journal years ago describing having to mow all his hail damaged hostas in Spring. Later that year they all looked fine for a tour.

Don't despair. It will be interesting to hear what happens to it.

-Babka

o

Looks pretty good to me. Just stick it in the ground and it will do fine.

o

Gesila, do you think "smushed" is a searchable term? I'll ask Ken.

I am so sorry for that unfortunate accident this early in the growing season.

o

as long as a leaf stay turgid.. and green .. it is converting sunlight into energy ...

leave them there.. as long as you can ...

when a new flush comes along ... in mid summer.. remove a couple of the worst ...

just place the pot.. out of direct line of site.. so you wont have to cane whats his name repeatedly.. all summer long...

ye who takes free labor.. has to pay the price.. one way or another ...

ken

o

It wasn't free.

bkay

o

Now there's hell to pay.

Steve

o

Awh heck just go buy another and hide it until next year

o

Yes, I've aggravated him unmercifully. However, it's not as bad as it seemed.

bkay

12 days later, it's filling in nicely:

Paradigm 5 12

o

Another good reason it was Hosta of the Year (HOTY) for 2007. It grows well.

Paul

o

it probably would have aided in the recovery.. had you throw it on the driveway for motivation

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here