Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valtorrez

What could be wrong?

valtorrez
12 years ago

Two of my hostas (guacomole and fire/ice) came up this year with stunted growth. Both of these are right next to the same hostas that are normal size. What could be the matter? All my other hosta look normal that are planted in same area.

Comments (10)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

What does the "stunted growth" look like? Any possibility of a picture? At this time of year, frost damage could be the culprit. Guacamole is particularly susceptible to it.

Steve

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    12 years ago

Stunted growth could be cold damage, or root damage. Digging it up will tell which is the cause....

Pieter

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

might they have gotten hit by some chemical overspray?

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I have several that have come back much smaller this year than previous years. Most of those had been moved around a couple of times within a year last year, not because I wanted to move them but I had to move them. Then, in the area they are planted they had received a lot of water due to all of the winter rains, so they were in very wet soil most of the winter, which was also pretty mild. Then the freakish spring we've been having. With all of those factors, I believe that is why my nice big hostas last year seem to have shrunk in size. Some gained numbers in eyes, but the leaves aren't very big. Others lost both. I guess they are going to get a few shots of the M-Gro this year.

Karen

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I had a Blue Angel that came back way smaller this year. Not sure if it was the drought last fall, if it didn't get enough water, or what. It came up last year with a "fairy ring", that is died out in the center, but still got huge. This year it was a third of it's size. We dug it out, it was growing in nearly pure clay (mind you this hosta was nearly 15 yrs old), so we divided it, mixed some good topsoil in the hole, and replanted a piece of it. Hopefully it will start growing again.

The other pieces went into a whole different area, I'll wait and see which does better.

Sandy

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

S***happens. I had a Spilt Milk that filled a 2 gal can last year. It was slow and when it came up this year. Just two eyes, a weak solid eye and one very teeny, tiny little spilt milk eye. So it went from a 2 gal can to a 2" little plastic pot.

Every time they show up smaller, at least for me, is that something went wrong with the roots. Rot in my case. If they are in the ground, a nearby plant/tree could be sucking all the goodies out of the soil and leaving your baby starving. Only way to know for sure is to dig it up and look.

-Babka

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Could be planted too deep.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

no pic.. no opinion ...

all plantiginea are subject to cold damage.. even one of two.. planted next to each other. .

how about a pic.. so we can stop guessing

ken

BTW:.. i have had about a dozen fire and ice.. and frankly.. its a terminal plant.. that will sooner or later.. simply disappear ... and there is NOTHING you can do about it ... get rid of it now.. and save yourself the irritation ... its got so much white.. that it burns in sun.. and fails in shade.. its carp ...

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will try to take pictures I am just not very good with figuring out how to post them. I dug F/I up and replanted. Guacomole would be more difficult. I was trying to dig up but was hitting roots either from it or nearby tree so I stop. We did have some cold spurts this year so that could be the reason.

• caliloo
    12 years ago

If you are hitting tree roots, that is most likely the culprit. Dig it up and move it.

Alexa