Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyz6ohio

I think the corner has been turned!

garyz6ohio
9 years ago

Finally, after a Winter that seemed to have no end, the long range weather forecast shows a week with no below freezing temperatures. I took the opportunity to unearth my potted hostas, as I over-winter them by burying them in my garden. All 221 made it through with flying colors! Now I still have three weeks before our normal last frost date, but I have a small greenhouse that I put up just in case they need the extra protection from a late Spring freeze. Now its time to soak these tire old muscles in a hot tub.

Comments (6)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Good to hear that, Gary! We also have no freezing temps forecasted in the 10-day. Had a nice, mild rain for a couple hours this afternoon, it was wonderful. Let's keep our fingers crossed for us, and everyone else.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your perfect winter survival rate. Our last average frost date was March 15, but we've had enough cold a couple of times to do some damage to the early leaves and tender pips....or so it seems. However, they are going full steam ahead with no turning back.

Tell me how you inter your 221 (you might add a few this year, right?) to such good results. Maybe I could do something similar designed for a milder winter zone.

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moc, I have a section in my vegetable garden that has close to two feet of sandy loam that I just trench out in the Fall and bury my pots about an inch below the surface. After a good hard freeze, I put almost a foot of leaves on top of them and ignore them until about mid-April. Of course, the pots are filthy when I remove them, but I have three weeks or so to get them cleaned up to spread around the in ground hostas. I think the key is to avoid the freeze - thaw cycle as much as possible. (So far, I did loose one in ground hosta - a Lucy Vitol, but it was on a decline and I took a start of it and that's coming up in its pot just fine.)

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have only 6 or so potted leftover hostas, no pips yet, they were tipped over in the shade. I watch temperatures for my indoor seedlings. Yes, it definitely gets warmer. I have a low of 34 in the forecast for the next week. But for me it is also important that high day time temperatures will stay in the 60s, today 71. So perhaps in another 10 days I will bring my now rather large seedlings outside, repot them, place them in shade, but bring them into the garage anytime it gets below 50 - that should toughen them up. I have no little greenhouse though. Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Bernd isn't it time for another progress pic? Would love to see how big they are now and changes, if any in streaking.

Jo

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bernd and Jo, I talked with my brother-in-law this past Sunday, and he promised he would walk me through the process of taking and posting pictures, so maybe I'll be able to show some of my "babies" soon.