Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsp_gw

Are your blues blue?

Johnsp
12 years ago

I've noticed that not a single blue hosta this year is all that blue their color is more like mid to late summer. I was wondering if others have noticed the same thing? Wondering if this is a result of the unusual weather?

Scott

Comments (13)

• hosta-see
    12 years ago

You know now that you mention it, I would have to agree with you, mine seem to be more on the green side.

Gary

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

No unusual weather here, so mine are blue blue. But then we don't get very hot so the wax doesn't melt off even in the summer months. I think I saw my Aristocrat turn green for the first time last year after a spat of days in the mid-90's.

-Babka

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

They're probably getting more direct sun than the blues prefer to have, therefore having less wax.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I've noticed it too. I have several that are still unfurling, but those that have been leafed out for a couple of weeks now don't seem as blue as last year. I know they don't start out blue when they emerge and gradually blue up as the wax thickens on the leaves, but they just don't seem to be getting there quite yet. I've wondered if it has something to do with this cool weather we're having. Maybe after this week with the higher temps the wax on the leaves will thicken and they'll become more blue? I don't know.

Karen

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting that it isn't just mine. Had a friend in another forum say the same thing about her's. Will be interesting to see if they darken at all. Hasn't been warm enough to melt the wax off so odd to say. I don't think I've ever had this happen before.

Scott

• donrawson
    12 years ago

"They're probably getting more direct sun than the blues prefer to have, therefore having less wax."

No, I think it's too early in the year for the blue to wear off. Plus, can the blue wear off it is never was there? I bet they'll turn blue in a couple more weeks, once they grow a little more...and develop that bloom (wax coating) on the leaves...

• User
    12 years ago

My Fragrant Blue is looking blue still, and the leaf is getting pretty tough, increasing its substance in the process.

Then I have my Lederhosen #1 which started blue and turned deep dark smooth green. And the #2 Lederhosen, which I did not know I had, supposed to be Brother Stefan, was the last of my Massachusetts pots to poke its eyes up. And it is a really nice blue at this time. Neither plant is in the sun, so I guess it is just its nature to begin blue?

Some of my variegated hosta have blue centers, with creamy yellow margins, they look really fine as young leaves, but I'm seeing some toughen up, gaining more substance.

Maybe by the end of this year I will be familiar with the seasonal changes the hosta in my garden go through. It keeps me jumping to remember which is which because they change so MUCH. So QUICKLY. And, not because I have a lot of lookalikes.

If heat melts the wax and the blue vanishes, I'll lose the blue here within the next month.

• leafwatcher
    12 years ago

You know I was thinking the same thing on the color last week.. its been cool and sprinkling all weekend and I think the blue is starting to show more than it was a few days ago....

• tepelus
    12 years ago

My blues are getting bluer now that the temperatures have gotten warmer. Anyone else?

Karen

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

All my blues are still very blue. My Carolina Blue is in some pretty strong early morning sun,and is still intense blue. It's too early for the wax to wear off,even down here in the south. Phil

• trudy_gw
    12 years ago

Are blues are still blue. With the high temps we have been having highs in the 80s today it is a wonder the blue hasnt melted off yet. Here is a seedling with its blue.
    'Uberageous' F2 x OP seedling

• summersunlight
    12 years ago

I had noticed that my Halcyon looked pretty green when it first unfurled. When I read this thread I decided to go check it again, and it does seem to be bluer now!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

not uncommon in spring

you are just paying closer attention .. now that you are addicted ...

ken