Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Does this look OK to you?

bkay2000
12 years ago

This is two plants. I bought them for $.94 each at the height of the heatwave last year from Lowes. They had bunches of them. They were marked Mayan Moon, which they obviously aren't. They looked really ratty when I bought them, so I can't say much about what they looked like then, other than I knew they weren't Mayan Moon.

They don't exactly look like they have HVX, but they don't exactly look right. There's that bleedy look that bothers me. Would you be concerned?

bkay

{{gwi:967668}}

{{gwi:969690}}

Comments (13)

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

The folks here will all tell you not to buy cheapees at Lowes. But if I were guessing, I would say that you have Gold Standard with a hint of seersuckering. If you're worried, why not keep the pot far way from your other hostas until you see what develops.

Good luck.

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Look fine

Paul

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I don't see HVX,so I say they're fine. Phil

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

bkay

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    12 years ago

So far, so good. But, the season's young... and as said, it's 'Gold Standard', no doubt. And @ 94 cents each a good buy if you didn't have it already.

Pieter

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I would not risk infecting my hosta collection with a 94 cent hosta from Lowes. I have way too much money invested. It is just not worth it.

I buy a lot of stuff at Lowes but hosta isn't one of them. I won't buy hosta at Walmart or any other chain store because they don't care if their hosta are infected.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Sure looks like Gold Standard to me. Does NOT look infected...yet. Keep it isolated and see what happens.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

its transitional early coloration.. on a plant that is supposed to color change ... up here it is complicated by cold .. or perhaps i should say.. lasts longer ...

if you do everything in pots.. bargains can be tried ... its not like the stuff is going to break free from the cell structure and fly to the next pot.. just sterilize tools and the pot after ..

ken

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Franknjim, I only grow in pots and I don't cut scapes. My risk is significantly less than you guys who grow them in the ground.

Besides, I can't resist a bargain occasionally. AND, they're like puppies, if I don't take them, who will?

Also, I don't recall anyone who has mentioned getting a diseased plant from Lowe's. I understand the concern for buying bare root, boxed plants from the Netherlands that are sold at Sam's and Costco. But most all the plants at the major stores come from major vendors like Q & Z and Walters. They're grown out in pots and sold the next season. That's the same sources the specialty hosta growers use. Lowe's is not buying from backyard growers. It would take a major, licensed nursery to grow enough plants for Lowe's. Major, licensed nurseries hire trained horticulturists to oversee their operations.

I would be more concerned with where some of the local nurseries are getting their stock. They're the ones more likely to be buying from a backyard grower.

Besides, it was there. I didn't have to wait for someone to mail it to me.

bkay

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Ah yes, instant gratification. I do think that the local nurseries are more problematic right now. However, Gold Standard is notorious for being infected with HVX in the trade. The coloration that you see is just new growth. Just keep watching it.

they're like puppies, if I don't take them, who will?

Hopefully no one will buy them, and they'll go into the trash where they belong. Buying plants from questionable sources only encourages them to get more from growers who don't take the proper precautions with their plants.

One of the things you can do is read the labels carefully. Find out where the plants are coming from. If it's Walters then I would feel better about buying it. If it's from a Dutch source leave it.

Steve

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Steve. I'll watch it.

bkay

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

OK,I'll say this . The only HVX plant I ever got was from bare-root bagged hostas,and the bad thing is,you can't see what's in the bag. It might not even be what the picture shows. Phil

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Me, too. I had a really old Diamond Tiara that I got at Sam's in a bag/box about 15 years ago. I didn't actually test it, but everyone agreed that it had something if it wasn't HVX. I saved it over the winter, just in case it was sunburn. It looked the same in the spring, so I tossed it.

bkay