Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

What's up in Summerfield, NC

zkathy z7a NC
10 years ago

Empress Wu. She had overwintered at my local garden center and I bought her last spring when the only hostas I knew about were the ones in the Breck's catalogue. I already had the big one and the variegated one and the green one with white edging AND Fire and Ice. I figured the Empress put me just about full up on hostas and if I could find that Pineapple Upsidedown Cake I'd have them all.

Comments (13)

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Queen of the Seas. Fall 2013 PDN. She lived in a pot sunk into the ground most of the winter, but got pulled up so we could work on the bed she was in. Her pot was then semi-buried and eventually she pipped early, so I brought her in at night if the temps were going below freezing.

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And my montana Aureomarginata! Is this a gorgeous hosta or what!
    Thanks again, Chris.

This post was edited by zkathy on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 20:39

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Undulata Univittata. This one was given to me by a friend years ago. I had it planted in way too much sun and it was down to one scraggly leaf when I dug it up and moved it to this bed. It's pretty!

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great Expectations. Grabbed it off a sale rack for $5 last fall, figuring what's to lose? I planted it high in the sunniest bed I have (the peony bed, 4 hours of whatever sun the peonies don't hog in the middle of the day). It already looks bad, but it's a science experiment!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

What is going on in Summerfield??? Holy Wu but that is THE LARGEST emerging Empress I have ever seen!!!! I wonder what she'll look like in another month.

ZKathy, you sure grow them like no other...steroids or North Carolina sunshine? My but your hosta are beauties. Thanks for the eye opener! :-)

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And to end on a high note, full phlox mode in the spring garden. Psychedelic!
    Thanks for looking.
    Kathy

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Mine are all up,Too,Kathy,but not nearly the same as yours! Pics tomorrow,if it's nice outside. Phil,in the mountains,BTW,where's Summerfield?

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, josephines67!
    And Phil, Summerfield is a small town bedroom community of Greensboro. We're about thirty miles south of the Virginia border. Central Piedmont.
    Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks like there's a LOT up in Summerfield, Kathy!

Central PIEDMONT? Do you have a 'Piedmont Gold'?

See how I did that? See how I tried to enable you, Kathy?

; )

Looks great at your place!

Don B.

P.S. Looks like you're about 2 weeks or so ahead of us here in Northern Colorado.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 22:58

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I like the way your undulatta is growing, kind of growing in separate clumps close to, but not INto each other. By the time they fill in the spaces between them, you'll have a bit of an unruly clump, but with the twisty twisty leaves I think it'll look A+. Sort of a controlled unruly. Just my opinion.

Nice Work!
    Don B.

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Don,I can add Piedmont Gold to my Sebright order. Surprised by Joy, Valerie's Vanity, Vanilla Cream (straight off the alphabet list) and Midnight Sun in honor of my sister's performance. She lives in Hawaii so can't grow it; I'll plant it in her honor. Hawaii's a great place, good move Babka! A week there is a great vacation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbara singing Midnight Sun

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Babka, I hope you rested in the paradise that is Hawaii. I honeymooned there back in 1969...no other place like it!

Now it's back to enjoying hosta, some back aches etc. but what a happy pain, right?

Lovely link Kathy! I have a new Vanilla Cream (2013) and am curious as to the intensity of pip colour when it emerges. Good pick!

• User
    10 years ago

Jo, look quick, because it goes from pips to full leaves very quickly. I got mine from Jim Hartmann last year. All of those from him are up and going great guns.

The Summerfield garden is quite a treat. Your Wu is a standout. Mine is still pipping and look at the difference in our ZONES. Guess my in-ground bed is slowing them down with it being in the shade, at least until later in the growing season when the sun moves more northerly.