Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedogsmom

Before (2104) and after (2012/2013) pic heavy

threedogsmom
9 years ago

Since today is a raw, cold, rainy day I went out at 7 pm to snap some emerging pics. Thought I'd follow each emerging 2014 pic with how the hosta looked last summer 2013 or 2012, so you can see into the future a bit!

Top left elevated is S and S:

I can do more but this is time consuming on an Ipad! Hope you enjoy the comparisons.
Amy

Comments (15)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Can you give us the names of each one?

Thanks
    Linda ;)

• threedogsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In case you don't want to click pics, they are June potted, Northern Exposure, Stained Glass, Sum and Substance in elevated planter, and Summer Music next to/under a rhododendron.
    A

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Very cool series of pics, RavensFan. I love how well you capture the depth and texture in both stages of the "hosta life cycle." :) Thanks for the show!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I love the shots. I love your Summer Music, I've never seen a mature one before.

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

Ravens, we just mentioned Summer Music in another thread. Yours is sure a beauty. I know I was thinking how much time you took to place before and after for those hosta. I have all I can do to put tags on my photos. Otherwise I'd be lost.

Great plants, and great pictures.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Amy, that 'June' is so big, I was looking at it thinking it probably IS a June, but it thinks it's a Paul's Glory.

Nice plants,
    Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Very nice, Amy. Thanks for taking the time.

tj (PackerFan)

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing, those are really great. I loved the idea of elevating the Sum & Substance in the border. I may try that this year if I have the right spot for it. You have a lot of talent for combinations...

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Lovely series of pics. Maybe others can pick up on the theme?

• threedogsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don B,
    I actually took a piece of June from that pot and planted it in the ground in a shadier location. It is a very strong grower for me. The shadier one has a more bluish cast while the potted one gets more sun and is much brighter. Both are very eye catching and I plan to spread this plant around the yard in more locations due to how it performs for me. That potted one is bursting right now. Overnight it must have grown another inch taller. I do have Paul's Glory and can add the before after pic when I get home tonight.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Really beautiful hostas. All grown to perfection! My favorite is one in your collection is Northern Exposure. I've always loved the way a mature one looks and yours is to die for!

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Fantastic idea of posting pictures this way. I really enjoyed seeing these. I gotsta get me a June!!!! It seems to be such a consistently great looking plant for so many people.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Thanks, great pics,love the before and later aspect.Very inspiring for a newbie still waiting for all the pips to show.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, very inspiring! Thank you :)

• threedogsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you all are enjoying the pics! Here are a few more for you:

Paul's Glory

PG on left:

Montana Aureomarginata yesterday:

A newbie from last year- Komodo Dragon

Another newbie-paradise Island