Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before (2104) and after (2012/2013) pic heavy

Posted by ravensfan52 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 20:04

Since today is a raw, cold, rainy day I went out at 7 pm to snap some emerging pics. Thought I'd follow each emerging 2014 pic with how the hosta looked last summer 2013 or 2012, so you can see into the future a bit!

Potted June emerging photo imagejpg1-1.jpg

june in pot on patio photo DSC03158.jpg

Northern Exposure gorgeous spring plant photo imagejpg18.jpg

Northern Halo photo DSC03162.jpg

photo imagejpg8-1.jpg

photo DSC03174.jpg

Potted Sum and Substance -like an umbrella photo imagejpg25.jpg

Top left elevated is S and S:
S+S in tall planter, FW, GE, Time Tunnel photo DSC03163.jpg

Shade Fanfare far and Summer Music foreground photo imagejpg19.jpg

photo DSC03178.jpg

I can do more but this is time consuming on an Ipad! Hope you enjoy the comparisons.
Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before (2104) and after (2012/2013) pic heavy

Beautiful pictures! Can you give us the names of each one?

Thanks
Linda ;)

o
RE: Before (2014) and after (2012/2013) pic heavy

In case you don't want to click pics, they are June potted, Northern Exposure, Stained Glass, Sum and Substance in elevated planter, and Summer Music next to/under a rhododendron.
A

o

Very cool series of pics, RavensFan. I love how well you capture the depth and texture in both stages of the "hosta life cycle." :) Thanks for the show!

o

I love the shots. I love your Summer Music, I've never seen a mature one before.

Gesila

o

Ravens, we just mentioned Summer Music in another thread. Yours is sure a beauty. I know I was thinking how much time you took to place before and after for those hosta. I have all I can do to put tags on my photos. Otherwise I'd be lost.

Great plants, and great pictures.

o

Amy, that 'June' is so big, I was looking at it thinking it probably IS a June, but it thinks it's a Paul's Glory.

Nice plants,
Don B.

o

Very nice, Amy. Thanks for taking the time.

tj (PackerFan)

o

Thank you so much for sharing, those are really great. I loved the idea of elevating the Sum & Substance in the border. I may try that this year if I have the right spot for it. You have a lot of talent for combinations...

o

Lovely series of pics. Maybe others can pick up on the theme?

o

Don B,
I actually took a piece of June from that pot and planted it in the ground in a shadier location. It is a very strong grower for me. The shadier one has a more bluish cast while the potted one gets more sun and is much brighter. Both are very eye catching and I plan to spread this plant around the yard in more locations due to how it performs for me. That potted one is bursting right now. Overnight it must have grown another inch taller. I do have Paul's Glory and can add the before after pic when I get home tonight.

o

Really beautiful hostas. All grown to perfection! My favorite is one in your collection is Northern Exposure. I've always loved the way a mature one looks and yours is to die for!

o

Fantastic idea of posting pictures this way. I really enjoyed seeing these. I gotsta get me a June!!!! It seems to be such a consistently great looking plant for so many people.

o

Thanks, great pics,love the before and later aspect.Very inspiring for a newbie still waiting for all the pips to show.

o

Yes, very inspiring! Thank you :)

o

Glad you all are enjoying the pics! Here are a few more for you:

Paul's Glory
Paul's Glory photo imagejpg6-1.jpg

PG on left:
 photo DSC03171.jpg

Montana Aureomarginata yesterday:
Montana Aureomarginata glowing with Tradescantia Sweet Kate photo imagejpg7-1.jpg

photo DSC03175.jpg

A newbie from last year- Komodo Dragon
Komodo dragon baby  from last yr photo imagejpg1.jpg

Another newbie-paradise Island
New last year- Paradise Island photo imagejpg5.jpg

Feel free to add yours!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here