Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do people eat hostas?

Posted by dear (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 20:10

I've heard Hostas can be cooked and eaten? Does anyone here eat them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do people eat hostas?

Akkk... that would be like canabalism.
They are my babies!! :) ROFL

o

I agree with Joan...

o

In short.... yes.

Personally I wouldn;t, there are too many other food sources out there for me to start grazing with the deer, but yes, there are those that seem to think they are "edgy" or something that do.

Alexa

BTW If I posted what I really thought of the person who started the thread I linked below I would be banned from GW forever. Oh and take note of the blankety-blank who said they look better cooked than they do in my linked photo!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Hurry Up! Plantaginea Is Ready!

o

i saw it used in a bread instead of rhubarb ...

ken

o

Ken - do you mean bread pudding? I have never heard of rhubarb bread..... but I have heard of a rhubarb/strawberry bread pudding.

Alexa

o

i am blanking.. not pudding.. not pie.. a sort of coffee cake thingee.. technical term there .... it will come to me.. sooner or later ...

or see the link ...

i mean really.. by the time they smother rhubarb with a 40 pound sack of sugar.. you could use an old tire..and still a have a decent coffee cake ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Martha Stewart once had an article in her magazine about cooking hostas!

o

FINALLY!!!!!

substitute hosta petioles for zucchini .. in .. wait for it..

zucchini BREAD!!!!

i knew i would figure it out sooner or later...

ken

PS:... zuchini.. rhubarb.. its all puke fodder to me.. lol ...

o

Really Teresa? I have the issue where she uses large hosta leaves as a garnish on the plate instead of kale, but I have never heard of her cooking them! can you link an article?

Alexa

o

I can't link the article. It was at least 6 years ago - perhaps longer. And it wasn't so much of an article, but rather in the part of the mag where people ask questions and an explanation of 5-6 paragraphs is the response.

But here is a recipe for Rhubarb Bread - no hostas needed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Bread

o
Oops!

I sent you a seperate email Alexa. The link above does not contain the buttermilk rhubarb quick bread I wanted to send.

No hostas being eaten here folks!

o

some peeps 'say' that some of the flowers taste peppery ... i am not sure.. but maybe the fragrant ones ...

use them on a salad.. for the fragrance and the pepper..

ken

o

Apparently the New England Hosta Society has eaten hostas. Here is a link that suggests a Cream of Lancifolia Soup and a Hostakopita - as in Greek pie using hostas in place of the spinach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eating Hostas

o

Every time I look at healthy hosta, I start thinking that with a little olive oil and garlic...

o

Horrors!! That sounds terribly cruel...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here