Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

First Scape!

bkay2000
12 years ago

My old sieboldiana is putting up the first scape of the season. I love this plant. I've had it forever. It comes back every year and looks great until August. What more can you ask?

bkay

{{gwi:969999}}

Comments (14)

• nucci60
    12 years ago

Scape? I have hostas that are just breaking ground.

• kskaren
    12 years ago

Yes, it is VERY weird this year! I'm a newbie, but I don't think this is normal, is it? I have scapes on all of these hostas:

Something Blue
    Queen of the Seas
    Dance with Me
    Spacious Skies
    Paul's Glory
    Birchwood Parky's Gold
    Blue Angel
    Mississippi Delta
    City Lights
    Lemon Frost
    Thumbelina

This is only my 3rd year of serious hosta-ing, so it may not be as strange as it seems. If we can get through these next couple of weeks without a frost, I think we'll be home free!
    Karen

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My paul's Glory was one of the last ones up. Wow, you're right. It's a wierd year.

bkay

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

I found my first one on Albomarginata this weekend. Paul's Glory here has been slow but I only got him last year and like Karen this is my third year. Have a great day all, Paula

• User
    12 years ago

Hi, KSKaren! Have I noticed a few posts from you already?

You have a nice selection of plants, so share some pictures?

BKay, very satisfying when you know you can depend on things to perform. I do not have another scape after that noid shot up a few weeks ago. It's hard for me to figure what normal is for hosta, with this freaky year. Your sieboldiana is springtime fresh!

• kskaren
    12 years ago

Hi Moccasinlanding! I mostly lurk here and ask questions! My hostas are still so small, I don't post the pics because somebody always has a bigger, better one. I appreciate what I've learned here SO much! It has really enabled---er, um---helped me make some great choices for my collection. I do have some pics, so maybe I'll come out of the corner and post them. Thanks!
    Karen

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

If you're getting flower scapes already,then you are waay ahead of schedule! We don't get scapes until at least June up here. Undulatas are sterile,so all you'll get are flowers. Phil

• User
    12 years ago

ILoveToGrow, you in Jax FL, the far end of I-10 and living parallel to me, about a mile south of I-10 where I-65 terminates. Mobile.

I think that makes the two of us the most southerly geographically of all the hosta forum folks. With perhaps the exception of one other new poster over in Houston. Also on the I-10 track, but geographically a bit further north.

Let's hear how you fare with your hosta gardening. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

12 years ago

Hello from Jacksonville. I fare well here. It is my third year of growing hosta and I am having a great time. After a very short and mild winter I did not know what I was going to find come back up. So far I am still waiting for a few slow pokes to finally get past the pip stage but everyone is back. I have probably some 70 different hostas growing in pots. 55% are liners in 1 gal pots and the rest are more mature. I am growing in full sun right now and they are very happy with it. I have shade areas for when it starts to get hot which wont be that far off. It is late so have a great day tomorrow, Paula

• nucci60
    12 years ago

Paula, how do your hostas look in July and August with all the Florida heat?

12 years ago

nucci60, oddly not to bad. I am a water-er. A heavy water-er. It is my vice. Some people smoke I water. Plus I was told moving a hose was working out. I have a yard with too much shade so hostas are perfect for me when it gets hot. Right now I am letting them enjoy the sun. I keep hearing Ken's words that the hosta is 'shade tolerant'. My biggest heat problem is the breeze. I have a north to south running street and the hot wind burnt some of my tenderer girls last year so I will limit that area to the thicker leaved hostas. I am having a blast with my hostas. Here is Patriot in the beginning of August. Have a great day all, Paula

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, pretty good for August.

bkay

• nucci60
    12 years ago

Look as good as mine in August.

• gabbygardner
    12 years ago

I am so jealous!!! My little pretties are just coming up. It has been an odd winter here and I was afraid I would have some attrition due to that, but everyone has faired well. I just barely found some beautiful little pips coming up - my Cherry Berry that I got last year has made it!!

I was pretty sure she was dead, as the main eye looked pretty dead and I wasn't seeing anything around it. But, I pushed the mulch aside and there they are two beautiful red pips!!! Can't wait to see how she looks in her second year!!

Have fun with those hosta everyone, I will try to be patient waiting for mine to leaf out:)

gabby

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH