Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsp_gw

Did they arrive yet

Johnsp
12 years ago

I was wondering who may have ordered hostas via online and if they came how do they look. I ordered from Naylorcreek last fall since they offer the discount if you order at that time. Had to have Frisian Pride,Lakeside Fancy Pants and others. Should be here tomorrow-cant'wait.

Scott

Comments (10)

• User
    12 years ago

Hey, Scott. I called Gary at Naylor yesterday and his partner was off to the post office with a truck load of orders to ship. I guess yours was one of them.

I placed another order when I called, and I think he said they were working hard this whole week to get deliveries on the way. Since some folks are not able to accept early orders, he thought my second order could ship today. I have not checked for an email yet, just really sat down to the computer after dinner. I was POTTING HOSTA ALL DAY. And taking pictures too.

And smushing tiny slugs. I used to be squeamish about smushing the slimy yucky things, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Naylor plants were looking fine, and growing fine now in my garden. They arrived bare root, with what I thought was dormant eyes, but not so--I think all of my first order sprouted five eyes each. Looking good!

Be happy you can get them early and settle them in before this spring turns to summer before May arrives.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

you better be careful taking z8 hosta from naylor.. and throwing them out in your z6 ... especially regarding frost .. i dont think naylor mails until they are fully leafed out .. to insure ID ...

you have to take delivery early .. to insure getting what you want.. but that does not mean its time to plant them

either pot them ... or throw some media in a wheelbarrow ... and heal them in .. and move them in and out of the weather as needed ...

most likely.. they should not be planted out.. until mid may at best ...

ken

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I haven't ordered from Naylor's, but I ordered from Hallson's and I should get them today. Yay! I've never gotten plants this early before, usually not until May. We usually have snow on the ground at this time of the year, or the ground is still frozen. And here I have hostas leafing out. Not going to be cool when frost threatens.

Karen

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

My order from Hallson Gardens came on 3/21. Big roots with little white eyes (dormant buds). I potted them up immediately into 1 gal cans but had to fold up the bottom end of the roots that were so long. We've had cool weather the last few weeks, but here they are today.

Ice Follies, 5 eyes
    Snake Eyes 5 eyes
    Liberty 2 eyes
    Blueberry Muffin (bonus plant) 3 eyes

{{gwi:970295}}

• trudy_gw
    12 years ago

Getting plants from Naylor in a few weeks.

Have never had a problem with the differences in Naylor's zone or our zone 5. If I am not mistaken, the temps in Iowa have been warmer than Naylor has had.

Looking forward to seeing photos of everyone's orders!

Happy planting :)

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes that is a concern about them coming from zone 8. At this point I'll put them in pots and move them in the garage at night if their calling for frost which they are for Friday. They shipped Monday so should be here tomorrow.

Scott

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

My Hallson's order came today and looks great. Should be getting from Jim's and Rob's Lakeside this week, too. Hmmm, how did I miss Naylor's this year? Time to add just one more order...

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Got my Hallson's order, and the plants look really good. New Spartacus is much bigger and healthier looking than my old old meaning I've only had it two years...lol), pee wee Spartacus still trying to grow. My bonus was a plant I already have (Elvis Lives), bummer, so I'll donate it to a friend of mine whom I'm sure will be thrilled to have it.

Karen

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well they didn't come today so guess tomorrow. Got to get my order ready to send to Rob Canning to order all those rare Lakeside hostas he's got and before he starts to sell on auction in the library.

Scott

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

My Naylor Creek order is being shipped Monday. So, Wednesday.

No problem about the weather here being warm enough, it's been in the high 80's, low 90's all week. I think next week is supposed to be in the 70's, which is wonderful!

Now if I can just keep my fingers out of the catalog and not add any more to my order. Dang it, they have my credit card # on file and all I have to do is email them. Too easy! Enablers! I already added War Paint today. I had one, but something ate it as it was coming up so I'm getting another one in case it doesn't come back. (pretty lame excuse, huh!)

In the meantime I have 16 new hostas sitting out there on my deck just waiting for me to dig holes.........including Blue Flame and Sugar Daddy that I just had to have yesterday.

Sandy