Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Spring showers are helping hostas right along now

brandys_garden
9 years ago

I know I'd be truly heartbroken if I lost my first hosta, the U. Albomarginata... So I am thankful she is coming back more awesome than ever. A friend and I counted over 50 eyes on her. And since the rains last night and going on right now, she is starting to shoot up! As is Paul's Glory... He's going to look good this year, too. They all will.

Comments (8)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

THAT'S what you like to see coming out of the ground/your pots! Those U. Albomarginatas are as tough as nails. Nice to see big healthy pips coming up, isn't it? : )

Don B.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

That looks fantastic Brandy, its going to be very nice, mine is comming on too, this was a larger clump but was infested with ground elder( I think you guys call it bishops weed) and I had to divide it to clear it so potted up the other pieces separatly (was before I learnt the correct potting medium from the peeps on here and needs to be redone).

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I still have a good survival ratio... And Fire Island is poking through now, too. So the little extra sun for now is working. As is the PUD. So I am no longer worried about these two.

Still concerned about El Nino, I don't hold out much hope for him. But I am still wishing. And I am thinking I see a couple of eyes coming through on Orange Marmalade, too. So right now, El Nino is my biggest concern.

Here is Paul's Glory today, too. He has one shooting up and I counted 4 more today, as well!!

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Yeah,that is one vigorous Undulata! But let's face it. If you can't grow Undulatas,you should give up growing hostas! I have them all over the place,and I believe you could throw a clump on the ground,and if the roots touch soil,they would come up! Phil

• miketropic
    9 years ago

The rain for the last 3 days have kicked everything into gear here. I see a little somthing in every pot..happiest about the large pips comming out of the empress wu. it was a decent size last year hoping for a monster in a few more

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I'm having to water my sandy little hillside already. Here's my Empress Wu today. A local garden center had overwintered her when she didn't sell. So I got her spring of 2013. I planted her on what was to be the edge of the garden but now is the middle since the Great Expansion. So I moved her this winter. It was a good transfer and she seems happy to be sharing her new bed with the rhododendron my neighbor gave me.
    Kathy

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice Kathy!! We have rain in the forecast for the next several days so I am sure they will all be shooting up like U. Albomarginata and Paul's Glory soon. Mama Mia is almost ready to take off, as is Luna moth and a couple of others.
    Here's another of U. Albomarginata with her butterfly accent showing.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phil... I am hoping this is true for my 5 baby Undulata Medio Variegata, as well. I think 2 or 3 of them look good right now and as if they might do something but I am not sure about them or the other 2? We shall see I guess.

Mike, all of mine are growing this year so far and much bigger than last. I had 4 "babies" I got as starters two summers ago and they have all grown so much. Very proud of them.