Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Hosta Leading Lady . . . .

paul_in_mn
15 years ago

...has gone on and off my wants list several times in the last year. Need some input on how you like this hosta, or, also if you are indifferent. Pics are always welcome!

Please share your thoughts on Leading Lady.

Thanks

Paul

Comments (19)

• caliloo
    15 years ago

It's a good hosta, but not an absolutely "must have" IMO. If mine were to die, I would probably replace it, but I would not go to ends of the earth to do so. I got it a couple of years ago at an end of the season sale because I didn't have it and it was a good price. It has gotten bigger, but not increased the number of eyes (2007 - 2008) and I can't tell you if it increased yet this year, it hasn't come up. I guess my thoughts aren't really much help! LOL!

• omoelegba
    15 years ago

Ditto...
    It's a nice, big hosta but not remarkable. I also wouldn't hesitate to change it for something else. Interesting what caliloo said; just came back & checked on mine & I see the same amount of eyes as last year's: 5

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

IMHO .... in 7 to 10 years.. it will be to die for ...

get rid of something else..to have it ... its all in the undulating edges ...

mine in 2005
    {{gwi:970648}}

2007 .. ken
    {{gwi:970649}}

• yardmom
    15 years ago

Leading Lady is one of my favorites!

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

I agree with the "yes" votes. I had it for one year, lost it in the terrible spring of 2007 and replaced it in late 2007. Last year mine was equal to a one year old so here is a picture of my sisters spectacular plant. Bottom left is Sagae, top left is Blue Angel and bottom right is Seafire to show the size.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I dunno - nice photos everyone, but still not remarkable IMO. Certainly not a 10 foot rule type and though it is nice enough, not one that is a "must have".

Alexa

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and pictures. The other large yellow margined one I like from pics is Victory - hopefully I can get on a look at these on a Hosta Society Tour this summer.

Paul

• mclarke
    15 years ago

I love mine! It gets bigger and better every year.

I have it next to "OnStage" ... a theatrical theme.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Picked up a Leading Lady today. Put it in a bed that is deep with some other large hosta - S&S, Victory, Bressingham Blue,
    nigrescens, Titanic - sort of a land of the large hosta bed.
    Now just have to wait. . . . . . . . . . . . are we there yet.

Room for a couple more large - any suggestions?

Paul

• greenthumbz4mn
    14 years ago

Paul--Look into Yellow River--I'm assuming you have Montana AM--my all time fav. Mary

• bragu_DSM 5
    14 years ago

Bought it several years ago when Mark Zillis spoke to our hosta group. Following year, i split it and gave it to a friend. Mine promptly died. Following year, he split it and gave me a piece. His died.
    Mine came up this year. But it is not splittable.
    mebbe next year

dkB

^_^

• loisflan
    14 years ago

Mary, I agree... Yellow River is a beauty, and a fast grower too. I picked up Edd Tide today, and I think it will be wonderful. It's a montana Aureomarginata sport, although it's listed as only medium-large in size. The montana-shaped leaves have a mottled yellow-gold margin.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions.

Paul

• ohiolibrarian
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of Yellow River, which is currently the largest single plant I have after 10 years in the ground. It is between 4-5 feet across. I find it prone to edge burn, even though it is growing right against the east side of the house. I also have Leading Lady, which is a fast grower and a beautiful plant in its own right.

• greenthumbz4mn
    14 years ago

My Yellow River gets no direct sun. It is not as large as Librarian's, but it has never had a blemish on it's wonderfully large leaves. Nor a slug bite! Lois, I got an Ebb Tide last fall. It has no direct sun, and so far I am not getting a yellow edge on it. BUT it is already large and has the most glorious shape--I LOVE it and am eager to see how large it will get. Good luck with yours. Mary

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have Yellow River, but don't think I want to move it as it has settled in nicely. Probably try to find something new - pic on another posting showed Regal Promenade - very nice coloring/streaking but sounds very unstable. Maybe a medium to large streaked?

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks

Paul

• dbowemd
    14 years ago

At the convention last week, Jim Wilkins, the originator, had a nice cluster of mature plants of Leading Lady and some others that he hybridized. He planted them when he first had the plant TC'ed.
    It is an amazingly beautiful plant, a rich deep dark satiny green and yellow margin, excellent contrast.
    Mine is not as nice, but it was really nice before I had to move. Unfortunately, it did not tolerate the move very well and shrunk a lot. I got another piece from my buddy Delbert. Great plant! It's pretty easy for me to recognise, very big leaves a little like Victory but darker green, not glossy.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

wonder what you folks are saying now, severals years later?

I'll post a pix when it stops raining. It is sooooo slug resistant and after the scales are spent, you can trim 'em and still have a beyond-gorgeous plant.

Oh, it does get big, so give it the room of four plants (or at least three).

It'll grow on ya. Yes, it will.

_~

dave

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic from last year....it's at least a half leaf wider in all directions this year.

Paul