Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be excited.....

Posted by pietertje (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 21:14

This is a 2011 seedling out of sieboldii and 'Ray of Hope'. It looked interesting last year - that's how it ended up with the garden name "Gnarly" - but I wasn't prepared for what it shows thus far this spring.
 photo P1100758_gnarly_crop_zps39f2ad85.jpg

In addition to the contorting of the leaves there is a light coloured vein that provides an interesting contrast. In the one below it is the central vein, in other leaves it's the next pair.

photo P1100757_gnarly_crop_zpseaede1d3.jpg

In the shot below you see both the central vein and the 1st vein pair as being light, almost variegated.

photo P1100756_gnarly_crop_zps2b548d9a.jpg

This shot shows a nice view of the vein pair.

photo P1100755_gnarly_crop_zps13f02c30.jpg

It's interesting to note the new offshoot for the year is without any of the 'distortions' I see coming off the main crown piece.

Pieter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be excited.....

Yeah, that's pretty exciting. You have to wait for it to grow up a bit. But that looks outstanding. You probably know that H. sieboldii tends to be the most unstable of the species. So it's not totally unheard of to get a streaker from it. Still the type of medial streaking like that looks to be an L2 layer showing through, like with Spilt Milk or Striptease. That's what is exciting.

Steve

o

It looks interesting.

Nice markings.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

bk

o

Very cool, Pieter. I would say you absolutely have cause to be excited. I am also looking forward to seeing it in the future. Good work!

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 22:02

o

Its good it has done this for two years. Every reason to be excited.

tj

o

Yes!!! Very awesome plant you have there.
Vanessa

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 0:08

Yup!

-Babka

o

Adding my congrats to the bunch! You'll keep us all posted, of course?

o

Very cool.

o

Thank you all for your comments, and you bet, I'll keep this thread updated throughout the course of the year!

Pieter

o

Love the look of your variegation. It seems that it evolved a bit more over the winter, still with the streak. How exciting for you and for us to be here at the start.

o

Taken a couple of days ago, the veins seem to be darkening up. Further updates will be posted over the course of the season. I hope it flowers this year, and more importantly sets seed, cannot wait to see what'll come out of it.

Hosta 'Gnarly' photo P1100804_gnarly_r_zpsd0c19c64.jpg

Out of the same crossing came a much smaller seedling that shows a marked resemblance to tossed hair, hence the name 'Tousled Hair'. It's a wee cutie.

Hosta 'Tousled Hair' photo P1100808_sieray_tossled_hair_zpsf07e1b98.jpg

Pieter

o

Pieter, thank you for keeping us in the loop! It is fun to see these beauties progress!
Jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here