Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

This pip belongs to what hosta? Should we play a game?

At least half of my overwintered hosta pots are awake and the majority of those have grown. So far, so good. I thought this pip was the most interesting. Want to guess which hosta it is, or is this just too easy for you seasoned hostaholics?

Comments (53)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I cab barely tell on most AFTER the leaves open ! hahahhah

• User
    10 years ago

I have a Tropicana canna which looks a bit like that soon after it comes out of the ground. But if you have one in a container, you'd know what it was. I wonder if Ilovetogrow/Paula would know. She is very familiar with the big cannas.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't think anyone was going to guess because I didn't see any follow-up postings. So I thought I would put this thread to rest and had decided to just say what it was. So I was surprised to see that hosta freak and Ken had replied. And now I see that others have replied. So to hosta freak---you are right---8,000 plus cultivars is too much to pick from. To Ken---I'm not messing with you! I wouldn't do that! But you did make me go outside to have another look at it. Tsugajunkie---I can see why you guessed Arisaema. But it's not that. Leafwatcher---good one! Moccasinlanding---it's not a canna.

So I will give you another clue:
    (1) First of all, remember it is a hosta.
    (2) It made it onto Paul's Top 100 Hosta Poll. So that narrows it down to 100 out of 8,000 hostas.
    (3) But I will tell you to look at Paul's hosta poll up to the number 65. That actually will bring the number of hostas to choose from down to 80 hostas!

At present it is only about 2 inches in height and has one eye. I only got it last year. I had hoped for at least one more eye this year. I could take another photo in a day or so from a different angle to show you.

If you don't want to play anymore, just say so, and I will tell you what it is. It certainly looks a lot different from my other emerging hostas.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 Top 100 Hosta Poll

• lupinguy
    10 years ago

Just for a fun guess I will say Guardian Angel! Not even close to an educated guess!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I'll guess....I have a pip in a pot that looks really similar to yours. It's supposed to be a 'Sieboldiana' (That was the name on the box of bare roots). So, I'll guess 'Sieboldiana' What did I win?? :)

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

On second thought, my guess isn't even on the list. So I'll guess 'Komodo Dragon'. Totally blind stab in the dark! What did I win??

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, but your guesses are not correct.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

It's 'Paul's Glory'!!!! Yess!!!

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Don, but it is not Paul's Glory. I hope this is not driving you crazy?! (lol) I will have a look at it today and see about taking another picture. Our weather has improved a lot so maybe the pip has changed a bit. I will think of another clue and post later today.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

With one big eye it has to be a large or giant hosta, so I'll take a stab at Sum and Substance.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I would guess it to be a Tokudama Flavocircinalis. I can tell you a whole lot of hostas it isn't!

Sandy

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

I was just outside checking things out, and my Clovelly looks a lot like your pic. Is that it?

Original Author
    10 years ago

No guesses are correct yet. I will post another clue in a few hours. Oh and Don B., I can see why you guessed Paul's Glory. I have one that has some resemblance to this one, except this one is larger. Here's a photo I took today. Measuring about 3 inches in height now.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Queen of the Seas'?

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

How about Empress Wu
    Faye

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Faye, I think you got it, actually!

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm afraid the guesses are not correct.

NEXT CLUE:

(4) Go back to Paul's 2012 Hosta Poll and now instead of looking at numbers 1 to 65, look at numbers 26 to 65.

(5) This hosta is not registered as a small hosta and it is not a giant.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 Top 100 Hosta Poll

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

THIS.....IS.....'SPARTACUS'!! Or, is it?

Don B.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Key Lime Pie - one of my favorites.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I have most of the ones on that list....but it's too dang cold to go out there wandering around looking at hosta pips to see what they look like, lol!
    Lakeside Paisley Print?
    Sandy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, those guesses are not correct.

That is a nice picture you captured of Key Lime Pie, McTavish.

Mosswitch, I bet if you went out to look in your garden, you would be the one to guess this hosta!

Now if I had more knowledge of hosta, I could give really good clues, but unfortunately I am still a beginner with much to learn. So, ok, so let's do this:

Go back to the hosta poll numbers 26 to 65 and make a list of ten hosta that you think it could be OR make a list of 10 you think it definitely isn't (one or the other) and we will work from there.

I have a nice picture taken of this hosta last year. I will see if I can find it.

• plantbug
    10 years ago

Who is/was the winner of this beautiful plant?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I give up :(

Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I went out to look but most of them are too far unfurled to tell, and the rest are still too small to see any sign of that purple color with white ribbing. I give up too!

Sandy

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I'm going with Satisfaction. I'm still working on my list of 10.
    Fun game

OK I couldn't come up with ten guesses but I have 5 more:
    Dancing Queen
    On Stage
    Goodness Gracious
    Orange Marmalade

Beverly

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 10:14

Original Author
    10 years ago

No one has guessed it

As I mentioned, I only got it last spring so I don't know what it should usually look like in the spring---that is, whether it is typical or not. Also, I got it as a one eye, but it was a division off of a mature plant. If Beverly or anyone else wants to keep guessing, then go right ahead and have fun. How about I just keep taking photos of it until someone recognizes it? I have new pictures as I today. The ruler is 1-1/2 inches wide.

Original Author
    10 years ago

And another photo. Of course, there it is in front, left side.

• Marinewifenc
    10 years ago

is it Abba Dabba Do

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Parhelion? It seems large, although I can't make out a border, but then it hasn't really unfurled.

Bev

Original Author
    10 years ago

No, not Parhelion or Abba Dabba Do.

So here are the remaining possibilities from the hosta poll:

Rainforest Sunrise
    Old Glory
    Golden Meadows
    Elegans
    Kiwi Full Monty
    Cathedral Windows
    Olive Bailey Langdon
    Praying Hands
    Niagara Falls
    Brother Stefan
    Gold Standard
    Thunderbolt
    Lakeside Shore Master
    Spilt Milk
    Sweet Innocence
    El Nino
    Blue Ivory
    Wolverine
    Summer Breeze
    Whirlwind
    Wide Brim
    WinterSnow
    Night Before Christmas
    Todudama Aureonebulosa
    Captain Kirk
    Emerald Ruff Cut
    Fragrant Bouquet
    Love Pat
    Alex Summers
    Blue Hawaii
    Jewel of the Nlle
    Francee
    Summer Lovin
    Frances Williams
    Twilight
    Inniswood
    Dawn's Early Light
    Lady Isobel Barnett
    Rainbow's End
    Allegan Fog
    (I have eliminated some of the smalls since it is not a small.)

I think we are getting real close to correctly guessing this hosta. Do you think someone can do that before it unfurls enough to be identified?

• User
    10 years ago

Based on the size of that pip poking up, I'd say it has to be
    AUDREY

(Little Shop of Horrors.)

That is one HUGE eye.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Still curious - bump
    Jan

Original Author
    10 years ago

New picture today. The hosta is now 7 inches tall. Have any of you seen this kind of growth, that is, one or more pips that large? What hosta would that have been? I am curious.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Well, I have this potted up 'Gosan Sunproof'. I just took this pic. One of the biggest pips I've seen in all my many, many hours of experience gardening with Hostas. :)

Don B.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Alex Summers (pretty soon we will run out of options). My last guess.

Beverly

Original Author
    10 years ago

Don B. That is definitely a large, wonderful pip on that Gosan Sunproof.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly you've done it! You have persevered and guessed the correct hosta---ALEX SUMMERS! CONGRATULATIONS! GOOD JOB!

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Ha! I DON"t have that one. But it needs to be on my list for fall!

Sandy

Original Author
    10 years ago

I see Sandy. . . so that's why you couldn't guess it. Definitely something to consider for your list.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh yes. I uploaded a picture of mine to Flickr yesterday, and commented that it was my first "bonus" hosta ever, and it came from Chris at Hallson. Most appreciated and so beautiful.

Why did I not see that throughout all the posts and questions....well, here is what mine looked like this week.

Alex Summers

And last year....2012...in July. Every leaf perfectamente!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

thx

AS is not very stable... you will need to continue to remove that which is not AS ...

ken

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

So what did Bev win?

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bk, do you have any suggestions? A hosta would be nice, but I can't ship it across the border!

Hey moccasinlanding, great Alex Summers. I too enjoyed it and its coloration. I found it a bit difficult to photograph last year, but that was probably because it was quite large (for a one eye) and didn't have loads of leaves.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I think that a plaque is definitely the required token for this big win (or, at least a certificate with a raised gold seal).

bk

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Don't worry about the prize. I'll prize myself with a new hosta or two. Thanks for the challenge. I don't have that many hosta's myself, ~70 named cutlivars. I do have 47 seedlings that are still possibilities though.

Thanks again
    Beverly

Original Author
    10 years ago

WINNER!-----WINNER!-----WINNER!-----Beverly---FOR BEING THE BEST HOSTA IDENTIFIER IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!

Hosta cake:

Original Author
    10 years ago

What hosta pips are being used for the above cake?

It is Fire Island. The pips made me think of candles on a cake and hence the idea. Here is the original photo:

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I am honored to have this hosta cake posted on my behalf. I would like to thank some of the people who helped me along the way. The Hosta Library, The American Hosta Society and of course, the Hosta Forum of the Garden Web.:)

Beverly

(typo etc)

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Sat, May 11, 13 at 10:08

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Bev on your cake.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Well, yeah, it does look like candles. Good job.
    And I approve your acceptance speech, Bev. Well done.

Raining here, 2nd day, lots of new growth I betcha.Predicted at least one more day. DH, wearing a slicker, is out spreading mulch in the beds against the house to keep dirt from splashing up on the white stucco. What would I do without him.