Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Rainbow's End?

brandys_garden
10 years ago

My purchases today at the C of O greenhouse did not stop with Bressingham Blue... I also bought a mini hosta... Labeled as Rainbow's End... I think it kinda looks right but I am not sure. Either way, it was a 2 for 1 deal. It was $3.98 for one with 5 eyes. But they told me if I wanted to, I could go back and get a smaller one for free! So, heck yea I did!! They said that mini's are a hard sell around here. Mostly landscaping companies buy them in bulks and put them in clients gardens. But individually, hard sells. Can you believe that? So I will be going back to see what other mini treasures I can find!

Here's Rainbow's End...

Side View... It has 10 eyes altogether and several more still emerging. A good buy for $4!!!

Next to Albomarginata

Whole view...

Comments (13)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

That is NOT Rainbow's End. Where's the shine? The variegation? It is not a mini. Check out the HL. So Sorry. ;-(

-Babka

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Yeah, Rainbow's End is one of the most distinctive-looking to me, and that's not it. But it sure is a great price for a nice size hosta! Now the fun part, though...I'm betting our local experts will nail this ID in under ten minutes! :)

It's nice to see your garden filling back up with beautiful plants.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It does have a shine, I think my camera's setting took it away. But either way it is a good buy. And it is a mini. It's leaves are about the size of my Mama Mia's leaves- A LOT smaller than the other hostas leaves. Once Albomarginata unfurls, I'll show you. And then I will show again once Mama Mia unfurls. But thanks anyway.
    Here, I took a pic of my hand on Guacamole and then "Rainbow's End" so you can see the huge difference. But I'll show you more when it comes time.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't care if it's not a Rainbow's End but it is a mini. If you had seen it compared to the other normal size hosta, you would have been able to see. It's a lot shorter and the leaves are lot smaller. So it's not Mama Mia either because mine has really shiny leaves. The leaves on this one are kind of shiny but waxy, too. Any ideas anyone on what it would be?

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

I could be wrong but it looks like my June although mine is teeny. Good bargain whatever it is.

Denis

• Mary4b
    10 years ago

I thought it looked like June...it's lovely.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks good. I think she's a 'June'.

Don B.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is both of them, I put both plants in one pot. I know a lot of "mini's" or small hostas are slow growers. Maybe it is June? Thanks!!! I'll post pics, of course, as she grows.

I just know she was a noticeable lot smaller than all the other hosta variety they had, and not just the giant leafed ones like Guacamole and Bressingham Blue.

Here's a pic of both plants side by side as I was getting the pot ready.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Yeah, I thought of June, too, but the leaves look softer to me...not something you can tell very well in a photo I guess!

And we were all pushing you to add 'June' to your collection, so there ya go! :) One of the loveliest hosta ever. Great buy!!

If I remember correctly, the "mini" category is under/around 12" wide for a mature clump.

This post was edited by jadie88 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 23:05

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I put her on my list as "June"... I am making a nametag for her just like I did for Bressingham and Guacamole. Anyone can make a mistake. But the C of O hosta are awesome... And the leaves on the other 2 are PERFECT when looking it up online and descriptions. I can see a margin coming through on Guacamole... Woo hoo!! I'll add Rainbow's End soon enough. ;) Thanks everyone!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

She's a beauty alright! My first reaction was June too. Here's a shot of my young Rainbow's End, new last year. I was enjoying one of my hosta books yesterday and I remember something about a mini version of June...when I find it again I'll come back and post.

You know, sometimes I swear there are creepy little critters hanging out who just love to mess with plant tags! Lol.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Students grow, raise and tag the plants at C of O, it's all done by students. Supervised by professors, of course. But part of the thing about C of O is that students pay for their education by working on campus. It might be a simple mistake but I still got 2 for 1! I consider that winning!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Brandy, I remembered it...the miniature hosta that looks like a mini June was called 'Baby Doll'.

I'm so glad you ended up with a June though....it was meant to be! :-)

I also think C of O has the right idea of allowing students to work in lieu of tuition - a great bonus for both parties!

Jo