Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadie88

One tough Hosta!

jadie88
10 years ago

I discovered a happy little surprise in the garden recently! It all started 3 weeks ago when my husband came home with a box of bare root hosta from a big box store. They were already starting to come up, so I potted them up, and when I brought them in three days later due to our freezing temps, 7 of them were leafing out beautifully. The eighth had been pilfered by heaven only knows what (we have rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, and curious young kids around, so any plant damage is a who-dunnit mystery). The entire root was just gone, only an empty pot remained. I kinda shrugged it off...

Now, fast forward 10 or 12 days...I was raking out a new bed when lo and behold I found the runaway hosta root! It was about 30 feet from its pot, dry as a bone, and its fledgling growth had been nibbled on AND frozen for several nights. I had a pot of water where some dicentra roots were soaking, so on a whim I tossed the hosta in. The next day I tucked it in a new bed next to the bleeding hearts while my husband chuckled at my unfailing optimism. :)

You know where I'm going with this: the tough little sieboldiana is putting out new growth! This little hosta survived 1) being bagged too long on a store shelf, 2) being hosta-napped by...something 3) being munched on by said "something," 4) lying out on the ground, totally exposed, for over a week, 5) freezing temperatures and little rain throughout the whole ordeal. It was our little hosta resurrection just in time for Easter! ;)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz