Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

A few pics

from the last few days. Lots of pips and some that have leafed out or started early. Rain for the next two days should accelerate the growth.

Sagae

montana A

Wheee!

Key West

Marshfield Fair

Paddywhack

A seedling from Stingray

Katsu Beni (starting early)

Steve

Comments (12)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Oh Steve! You are making me smile. What a wonderful way to end the evening. I will have pleasant dreams tonight. Thank you!
    Jan

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Wow, that Katsu Beni is really taking red seriously. Very cool. And it looks like Key West means business! Can't wait to see the pics in a few weeks!

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Nice pics Steve. I have many of those also.

I've been taking pics of my pips too. All of my in ground hosta are accounted for, though some are just barely visible.

Here is Rainbow's End. Early emerger for me. Small, bought at end of last year.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

My m Aureo seems to be a little ahead of yours.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Good to see someone besides me has growth going on! Your Montana A. is tremendous. Mine has been frozen back so many times,it is not even worth the effort anymore. My Sagae is history until next year. Thanks for the pics! Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Phil, what is Sagae's condition? All leaves mushed and gone? I have a reason for asking. Thanks. Jo

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Your hostas are looking so lovely.

I always enjoy seeing Patriot in the spring. The lavender eyes are quite striking.

• User
    10 years ago

I missed the show with Patriot. Mine is pretty wimpy looking, but it is in the driveway bed.

Steve your eyes pipping are breathtaking. I'm waiting to see what your Beet Salad does this year. It was exquisite last year. I admire your Katsu Beni, that is a very special hosta. Are you breeding for the red? And is your Stingray seedling a streaker or am I imagining things?

So very pleased to have your pictures displayed again. Always first rate.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very nice, Steve. Nice to see things coming up in your neck of the woods. Your Stingray seedling, is it your first year with it? Wondering if it's possible to get any kind of indication of eventual size from it. Is it an OP cross? It looks great. Curious minds want to learn.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Jo,I cut off most of the leaves that weren't going to come back,and left on the few good ones. All the cut off ones are putting up a new leaf,that may,or may not be as big as it was in the initial flush. I suspect it will come back this year,but just not as well as it would have before the freeze, It depends on rain,and warmer weather. Some plants here were not even affected,like QOTS,which looks pristine. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank, NHL. That's a great pic of Patriot emerging.

Mocc, I divided Beet Salad last Spring so that I could have one in a small pot that I could bring inside early. That allows me to use it as a breeder with early blooming plants. And I still have one blooming at the regular time. And yes that Stingray seedling is a streaked plant.

Don, that Stingray seedling is only in its second year. The leaf that you see is about the size of a montana Aureo leaf. That's why I'm pretty sure it's going to be big. The breeding is (Epsom Derby x OP 512) x Stingray. Last year it was a nicely streaked seedling. But this year the ruffles showed up and it's so much bigger and more vigorous. I have a spot in the garden picked out for this one.

Thanks for all the comments.

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Thank you, Phil :-). I was hoping it would do that but had no experience with that yet. I'm keeping notes on some hosta that experience zone events like yours and wanted to track it for myself. Appreciate it. Now back to topic..:-)

Steve, I sincerely hope that my yr. 2 Katsuragawa Beni has as much red going into the leaf blade. A stunning picture!

Jo