Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

No more pics...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

I've decided to cool it with the pics. People up north are getting peeved at me,because their hostas are not up yet! Maybe after you all get some plants of your own up? Phil

Comments (33)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

hahahahahha

It is like you are on another planet or something !

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Well, you won't have to wait long. Here in MN zone 4 it was 79ú and sunny. I spent so much time outside this weekend I have a sunburn. And I have pips! (Hosta pips, I mean). So I am over it - the envy thing. BTW I was never peeved. If I don't want to look I don't look, simple as that. Thanks for all your pictures.

Beverly

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

What?? You must be kidding me. It IS your fault it's still cold in other regions, though.

Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I think mine are finally all up. On Stage is showing and that is usually the last one. I seem to have lost a few but I'm not counting them out just yet, I'll give them at least another week before I pull out their labels and think about replacing them. About half of them are still not unfurled, yet, tho.

Sandy

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Peeved? No Way!!!! Us "early" folks have every right to post and make them all jealous. What fun! Don't stop Phil. The only time I refrain from posting photos is of fruit ladened orange trees in January, or camellias in December.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I love seeing others' pics on this forum. If they post pics before mine come up, it gives me something to look forward to.

Call me kooky, but I thought this was a Hosta forum!

Don B.

• jaco42
    10 years ago

Really, I love the pictures. I agree with Don B. I would much rather come here and see your pics than look outside at beds of dirt.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Last year was a rough one, but this year I have never seen such large pips as the hostas are breaking dormancy. I moved Les'
    S&S into the dappled shade of Theresa's Angel Garden thus saving it from another year of being fried. Best to do it before unfurling, right? I'm not the strongest girl in the world but managed to get it up onto the hood of a rider mower for moving. We do what we have to do.
    In the meantime all of your hosta pictures kept me from going crazy-you've done your job. Soon it will be my turn. Thanks!
    <:o>Theresa

• andi_mn
    10 years ago

PICS....anytime, any season, always love pictures of hostas , please everyone don't stop. (and, yes, we still had snow until Friday!)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

The people that complain are just kidding or not worth worrying about. Keep the pics coming Phil.

Jon

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I also agree with Don B. I love to see your pictures and others that are way ahead of me in their growing seasons. Sure I'm a little jealous, but I know mine will be coming along soon. What I think has helped me is that I have hostas both in the garden and in pots, and the pots have begun their growth earlier than those in the garden. That has given me something to look at. Ninety-five percent of the pots have emerged while only 50 percent of my garden has just begun to grow. Also getting a few new bareroot hostas helps too. So please keep posting those pictures!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Aw, go ahead and post, Phil. We can get back at you in fall when the northern hosta still look good and the southern ones look like they were ridden hard and put away wet.;-)

tj

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,here's Great Expectations,from today,but most of you have seen all of my garden already. Phil

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture Phil, I'm thinking my first shoots of GE aren't going to look that good, I think they got hit by some frost.

Gesila

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I love it! My favorite hosta! Great picture. Hope to get some of my own.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Phil, thanks, that is a beauty of a GE! Don't stop showing your photos, that keeps us alive until we see our own.
    As you heard before though, my GEs are still sleeping, but other are pushing up. My rabbits also stopped eating pips, and the eaten off pips are pushing up what was still hidden below, so life is good again!
    Bernd

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Don't stop the pics!! Love them. Here in central OH all of my hosta are showing and many have leaves unfurled. Spring is here!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Haha, Phil. Didn't take long to cave in to everyone! I always love your pics even though I am just a bit north of you and that one is a beauty. Love the fern peeking in there.

Tomorrow after school, I will be digging up about 15 hosta around a tree out front that is being taken down this week. Then, back in as soon as they get it out and grind the stump.

I hope warm weather is moving north to all of you who are dealing with poor frozen hosta. Hang in there!

Cynthia

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Ferns and hosta. One of my favorite combinations. And you, Phil, seem to have just the right fern with that hosta.

Beverly

• User
    10 years ago

Listen, Phil, we depend on you to show us your garden and how it grows. You are a neighbor online, just not close enough to drop by for a cuppa coffee. Familiarity does not breed contempt for a well kept garden with gorgeous hosta, imaginatively presented.

You go, guy! You take better pictures than I do, and I enjoy viewing them.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

My only complaint is those pics look so good I am not sure mine will even compare !

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Cynthia and Phil: Cyn first!

Bite your tongue dear! LOL Don't wish too hard for us to get heat. Last summer most of us cried seeing our lovelies roasting. I am quite content without last years drought and don't want to see it again. Spring has come late but is gloriously HERE.
    Phil-Are you getting enough 'sugar' from all of us admirers honey? LOL
    Keep them coming; even GE which it seems my family can't grow. Your GE are gorgeous and I am envious of them.
    Theresa Ann

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Thanks,everyone! The funny thing about that little fern,is,it was up near my fence where I usually mow the small strip of grass in front,and above the garden. I hated to keep mowing it down,so I moved it and replanted it down there. I could have saved some time and energy,because that type of lacy ferm grows all over my woods,and i can always go and dig another one up. I have a place in the new section of the garden where many little ferns are coming up on the side of the hill,and soon I will have a fern grotto there. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,I give! But I just wanted you all to know that I didn't want to keep taking up all the forum with my little garden. I don't claim to be a hosta expert,but in the soil I have to grow things in,anyone could be a gardener! Having said that,here is a pic of a Francee leaf,that is different. Not a sport,probably,but Francee does sport quite a bit. This one of three Francees that I have throughout my garden. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a pic of my Dress Blues,a hosta that just keeps growing bigger every year,and it is one of my favorites! Phil

{{gwi:971869}}

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...And finally,one more. This is Harpoon,a plant I had never heard of,until I saw it in a nursery near here. This plant defies the logic that you should never plant a hosta in too large a container. This is a box made of pressure-treated lumber,that used to house the bottom well of the fountain seen in many of my garden pics. I just recycled it to put seedlings in,and then one day I planted Harpoon right in the center of the big box.I used just plain Miracle Grow soil,and it just sits out in the garden,year after year. Phil

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Hey Phil, that leaf looks like a negative of a leaf my 'Gold Standard' had once.

It was a one year wonder.

tj

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah Tj,Gold Standards do that a lot. Some of mine are doing those kind of things now. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more of my 'no more' pics. Here is a plant that is looking good this year. Summer Music. Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Phil we live for picture! Now you are sounding like Myrle. She said she hates to post too many pictures so she doesn't make anyone feel like she is taking up too much space . This is what we all love and it gives us the inspiration to set our goals higher. Keep them coming,between the pictures and all the great information, you help us rip out grass and plant more hosta spaces.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,Faye, Here is one of two plants beside the steps leading down into the garden. It is called Sundancer. The margins get wider every year. Phil

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Sorry,ya'll I am tapped out! I will relinquish the pic posting for the rest of you. Most of my hostas have been seen already,so now it's your turn. Phil

• chris-e
    10 years ago

Phil,
    I have always wondered about that "logic" of planting a hosta in a large container. That would mean we couldn't plant in the GARDEN! lol

chris