Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first new hosta for the year... Hint: Don will be happy!

Posted by Brandys_garden 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 21:55

I noticed this new greenhouse going up near my school but I didn't think it was open yet. Well, this morning, on my way to classes, I noticed it had a sign saying "NOW OPEN" that it didn't yesterday. I decided during my 3 hour break between classes that I'd stop in and look.

They had a couple of nice hosta for sale: Earth Angel, Big Daddy, and something called a Blessingworth or Billingsworth Blue? I can't remember... Anyway I saw Guacamole and I got it on the spot!!

I am not sure it is Guacamole since looking it up online, though and seeing pictures? I sent a pic to my hosta guy and he said it might be. It looked like some of his when they were young plants. And it has the right leaf shape and size.

I asked who the distributer is- Proven Winners, some other good one... I was told all the plants are grown at CofO near my school. And they raise them. I should come back because they have close to 100 varieties of hosta that they'll be putting out in weeks to come... Most definitely!

And besides, if it Guacamole or a relative of Guacamole, it is a very nice looking hosta for only $6!! Plus, I have one less empty and depressing pot sitting on my bench! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first new hosta for the year... Hint: Don will be happy!

Good scoop for $6! Yay, Guacamole!

Could it have been a Bressingham Blue? It's a pretty one too.

Have fun on your next visit, Brandy!

o

Looks good, Brandy. It often takes 'Guacamole' some weeks to get it's darker margin. A little more sun helps the margin darken faster. 'Worst-case' scenario, you maybe got a solid sport like 'Fried Bananas' or 'Fried Green Tomatoes'. Still good plants. Nice big leaves already! : )

Don B.

Probably 'Bressingham Blue'. A nice blue, will get big.

o

Thanks Don, that is what Ed, the hosta guy, said, too. It has 4 eyes And the leaves are pretty large so I am guessing it's a division? I am thinking Bressingham Blue, yes that's what it was, Josephine and Don, will be my next purchase... Maybe tomorrow? Anyway, here it is next to the creepy gnome.

o

I can't decide where to put her just yet... So I placed her by U. Albomarginata for now. She'll get the most direct morning and early afternoon sun there right now. But once Albomarginata unfurls, she'll overwhelm her, so I will have to move her before then. I'll decide on a good place later. Probably in front by Whee and Minuteman and Orange Marmalade, I am thinking.

o

I moved her by Wheee a little while ago. She looks good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here