Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Pilgrim Christmas Tree

Posted by smithstudios71 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 21:59

This one definitely survived the winter.
Do you see it?
 photo IMG_20140413_145723_504-1_zpszvigzfu9.jpg

and also here is an NOID from last year and what it looks like so far this year. I was thinking it was Cinnamon Sticks because of the white backs and similar flowers

photo IMG_20130919_173953_322_zps9db0fbdb.jpg
 photo P9213684_zpseaa06b0f.jpg

This year it is showing the white backs
 photo IMG_20140413_145611_447_zpsccucylvc.jpg

I think it is going to be a good year

photo 29b89d320cb8d003f9ac77f3336bc372_zps3b850b54.jpg
 photo 381e04556d2a821d64e81b339eaa9263_zps7472ce0f.jpg
 photo IMG_20140412_112235_414_zps2f599ctv.jpg

and yes, I know, I just broke all the rules! Maybe this will help
 photo 1a456f5cdc0e0122b54170bb2a9dafbe_zps03ccb793.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Pilgrim Christmas Tree

O M G ! Yes, I see the Christmas Tree shape but I couldn't take my eyes off the colour of the pips, they are so lovely.

Lucy and Logan!....can I have them please? Too adorable!

You are unstoppable - someone stop the world...I want to get off at Devon's nursery please. Sorry, I'm salivating over here - look at all those hosta! I'll buy them all if your two helpers come with them. Lol

That's impressive.

o

i see you have the same gnome infestation i used to have ... rather troublesome at times ... but relish every single second of the time with them ...

they too soon turn into teenagers.. and you want to die ..

ken

o

Jo-I am not sure you would want them long term! They really do love playing in my mini greenhouse though and helping me make my potting mix and pretty much anything I am doing. It sometimes takes me twice as long as it should though. Yesterday, during nap time, I repotted 8 4" pots of Lancifolia and ended up 18 4" pots already root bound. Man, those grow like a weed! I wish now that I would have made my cold frame double the size.

Ken-Yes, they are always around, too! The smallest one also goes by the name of Capt. Destructo! He has been know to completely deleaf a hosta a time or two! Lucy...she is only 4 but sometimes you would think she is a teen already, she really knows how to push her moms buttons.

Here are a couple of seedlings from this morning
 photo IMG_20140414_085142_742_zps70xsz5fx.jpg
 photo IMG_20140414_084707_082_zpshpyb8ua4.jpg

o

for someone who just popped up in the last year or so ...i am amazed by your successes ...

either you are a brilliant theoretician ... figuring it all out yourself...

or you have had some great mentors ... lol .. and i am leaning toward this theory .... rotflmbo ...

ken

o

To throw another option into the pile for your NOID, take a look at One Man's Treasure. The scape and blooms might be right, but perhaps not the white backs. Here it is in bloom September 04, 2013, to compare bloom times with your NOID
IMG_20130904_173252.jpg.

Here it is this April 2014
DSCN9932

I'm a fan of white backs and interesting blooms.
You are having great success with your growing program.

o

Devon... It's obvious you are an accomplished gardener and handyman ... But I agree with you that your cold frame needs to be bigger....or make another one! love the streakers, Devon! Nice progress!

Say, do you think you could mail me a couple in a bubble bag? LOL

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 14:13

o

the flowers on OMTreasure dont match your noid ...

do you have a list of potential names.. or are we stabbing in the dark ???

perhaps a new post.. rather than burying this down here in this post ...

many... many.. of the green red petiole plants look the same ...

many of them are from fall blooming heritage .. and have the spidery flowers .. tending toward fall ... and out the side of the plant.. rather than held above it ....

but if they dont.. like the pic above.. then that rules out many of the options ...

your best bet.. is to start a new post.. the minute it blooms [but even that is forced.. if it remains in a greenhouse] ... because i read your note to mean those flowers are from last year ... and see what is blooming in others gardens ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here