Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

A Pilgrim Christmas Tree

hostasmith
10 years ago

This one definitely survived the winter.
Do you see it?

and also here is an NOID from last year and what it looks like so far this year. I was thinking it was Cinnamon Sticks because of the white backs and similar flowers

This year it is showing the white backs

I think it is going to be a good year

and yes, I know, I just broke all the rules! Maybe this will help

Comments (7)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

O M G ! Yes, I see the Christmas Tree shape but I couldn't take my eyes off the colour of the pips, they are so lovely.

Lucy and Logan!....can I have them please? Too adorable!

You are unstoppable - someone stop the world...I want to get off at Devon's nursery please. Sorry, I'm salivating over here - look at all those hosta! I'll buy them all if your two helpers come with them. Lol

That's impressive.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i see you have the same gnome infestation i used to have ... rather troublesome at times ... but relish every single second of the time with them ...

they too soon turn into teenagers.. and you want to die ..

ken

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo-I am not sure you would want them long term! They really do love playing in my mini greenhouse though and helping me make my potting mix and pretty much anything I am doing. It sometimes takes me twice as long as it should though. Yesterday, during nap time, I repotted 8 4" pots of Lancifolia and ended up 18 4" pots already root bound. Man, those grow like a weed! I wish now that I would have made my cold frame double the size.

Ken-Yes, they are always around, too! The smallest one also goes by the name of Capt. Destructo! He has been know to completely deleaf a hosta a time or two! Lucy...she is only 4 but sometimes you would think she is a teen already, she really knows how to push her moms buttons.

Here are a couple of seedlings from this morning

10 years ago

for someone who just popped up in the last year or so ...i am amazed by your successes ...

either you are a brilliant theoretician ... figuring it all out yourself...

or you have had some great mentors ... lol .. and i am leaning toward this theory .... rotflmbo ...

ken

• User
    10 years ago

To throw another option into the pile for your NOID, take a look at One Man's Treasure. The scape and blooms might be right, but perhaps not the white backs. Here it is in bloom September 04, 2013, to compare bloom times with your NOID

Here it is this April 2014

I'm a fan of white backs and interesting blooms.
    You are having great success with your growing program.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Devon... It's obvious you are an accomplished gardener and handyman ... But I agree with you that your cold frame needs to be bigger....or make another one! love the streakers, Devon! Nice progress!

Say, do you think you could mail me a couple in a bubble bag? LOL

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 14:13

10 years ago

the flowers on OMTreasure dont match your noid ...

do you have a list of potential names.. or are we stabbing in the dark ???

perhaps a new post.. rather than burying this down here in this post ...

many... many.. of the green red petiole plants look the same ...

many of them are from fall blooming heritage .. and have the spidery flowers .. tending toward fall ... and out the side of the plant.. rather than held above it ....

but if they dont.. like the pic above.. then that rules out many of the options ...

your best bet.. is to start a new post.. the minute it blooms [but even that is forced.. if it remains in a greenhouse] ... because i read your note to mean those flowers are from last year ... and see what is blooming in others gardens ...

ken