Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun Power?

Posted by BChosta 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 22:02

I purchased this plant last summer from a local garden nursery knowing that it had been mislabelled. It is definitely not Satisfaction! Judging by the wave of the leaf, I presumed it to be Sun Power. If anyone can confirm this identification, I would appreciate it.
BC
 photo 57c3a8e9-d023-464b-b9c6-7da3cee09134_zps37998ebc.jpg
 photo 2d025668-1980-4818-89ba-37248a5fe7d1_zpsd8cca001.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun Power?

BC ,I have three Sun Power. Yours is very close . You can decide.

o

Thanks Sunnywood,
I agree that mine appears to be very similar to your plants. I haven't seen a fully mature plant myself (other than some wonderful specimens that appear online), but I understand from previous postings that this isn't the quickest multiplier. I can understand why you have more than one however.
BC

o

hhmmmmm ...

satisfaction is a sport of piedmont gold ...

if a yellow pops out of TC... then it is PG ...

so then we are left in speculating if your nursery kept it properly labeled as S ... then its PG ...

but if your nursery just threw them around.. mixing them all up .... maybe sunpower ...

hard to tell on these pix ... time of year and camera light vary .. the first looks like it has more defined waviness .. and different potential leaf thickness and structure ... and a glaucous coating ...

i have no clue at this time.. who might be right.. nor if it may be other named plants ...

this is why we have favored sellers ... and rely on them .. IF names are important ... and to a lot of peeps.. they arent

on the other hand.. you have a very nice hosta... but for sure.. not S

ken

o

Ken,
I guess that I fall into the category of gardeners to whom names, ultimately, don't really matter. When I bought the plant I did so based on the colour and confirmation, therefore it didn't concern me that the label was wrong. Another time I bought a plant labelled as Aristocrat that had several fine fat pips - the problem was it turned out to be Francis Williams (I think), so it was duly returned!
I still think that this one is Sun Power - but if it isn't, I'll await what happens next and hope that it continues to build on the promise already shown!
Thanks for your imput.
BC

This post was edited by BChosta on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 10:11

o

Sun Power grows quite well, actually. This one is larger than Journey's End on the left. Blue Angel on the right and Regal Splendor behind it.

photo SunPowerfriends.jpg

o

Ooops, just noticed that Sun Power photo is not from last year. Here's a closeup from last year.

Sun Power July 14, 2013 photo SunPowerJuly142013_zps546c9ad6.jpg

o

It's OK, esox. It was huge in 2012, even more so in 2013. What does this year bring? Please show us when they come up. Beautiful.

Don B.

o

Esox,
Your plant certainly captures my attention! It's a fine figure of a ...... hosta!
BC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here