Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics from my Mini Hosta garden

Posted by jeanne 6OH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 22:29

This is my mini garden, just a little spot by my back porch. Please excuse the maple seeds, seems it's a masting year here for everything.

Stiletto, Woodland Stonecrop, Carex Snowline...

Heuchera Amethyst Mist and Viola Bowles Black

One of my favorite mini seedlings, yellow with a paler center. Do you think it passes the 10 foot rule?

Crested Iris and Heuchera Vesuvius

Seedling, Lady in Red fern, Special Gift...

Japanese Painted Fern, Woodland Stonecrop...

Baby Bunting - Does it look like Tiny Tears is growing up from underneath? I don't recall Tiny Tears growing in this spot, but I don't know what else to make of it.

Corydalis olucheracea (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

Seedling, Lady in Red fern, Special Gift...

Viola Fuji Dawn...

Pixie Power peeking out from under the weeds...

Dicentra eximia - I love this little guy! Blooms from earliest spring to the last of fall.

Dawn and Heuchera Caramel...

I hope you enjoyed these. Thanks for looking!

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics from my Mini Hosta garden

Beautiful gardens!! I love all the combo's with the flowers and different foliage.

I have a "shade sedum" that looks just like yours. What do you know about it?

More pictures please!!~

o

Thank you, Windhaven. The Sedum came from a plant swap, I planted it along the rocks at the back of the garden but it has found its happy spot right along the bank of the storm drain in the front of the garden. It's an easy multiplier and might someday become too overbearing for this little garden, but it's cheerful and for now it stays.

o

Love your collection of plants. Something different to look at with each step.
Cj

o

I really like your wavy edged yellow seedling. That is awesome!

o

Lovely bed and some great choices. Know how it feels on the maple seeds. One of the worse years ever.
Cher

o

How Lovely! It looks quite magical....I can imagine fairies dancing around.

o

Simply delightful! You have an eye for beauty and your plants have someone who truly loves them.

o

As a designer I'm always amazed at the intricacy some people incorporate into the smaller gardens as it makes them almost magical as opposed to many of the larger gardens. Your use and placement of specific plants is exceptional and the varieties incorporated in your garden. I would really enjoy seeing a picture later with everything have grown out. I really think you've created an exceptional garden to be proud of.

Scott

o

Yes, more pictures, please. The whites and greens and forms in the 2nd picture are wonderful. Thank you for this post.

Well, I was already to 'submit' and realized I wasn't done commenting. Your garden looks serene, unhurried, a place for contemplation. It takes real skill to create a garden that doesn't seem to be trying too hard. (I actually like all the maple seeds.)
Christine

o

Love it!

o

Having recently discovered the world of smaller hosta, I can appreciate what you've done here.

Question: are you growing your own seedling miniature hosta?
I think the really ripply one and the other one you ask about the "ten foot rule" are both worth naming. The first little guy reminds me of my new young 'Smiling Sailor' which is very yellow and like yours, but I'll need to look closer for any white in it. It was a bonus plant from Jim's Hostas this year.

Thanks for a visit to your wee garden spot.

o

Really pretty! And I need to find woodland stonecrop - that would look really nice in a couple of spots here

Thanks for posting the great pics!

Alexa

o

Thanks everybody for all the nice comments! After having lost a lot of pics from a hard drive crash, I've decided I want to share more pictures instead of letting them sit in files. The kind words here will encourage me to post more!

Moccasinlanding, I do grow my own seedlings. Back before I was interested in names and such, I owned two minis. Since I wanted more, the logical thing to do was cross pollinate them and keep the littlest seedlings. Out of that first batch of about 100 seeds, I ended up keeping about 30! The second year I started nearly a thousand seeds and culled most of them at the end of the season, that was kind of traumatizing for me so now I stick to just a couple of crosses a year.

I'll do a thread on my seedlings after they're fully leafed out and I get all those maple seeds cleaned up.

Jeanne

o

i dont think that is tiny tears ...

is the moss native???

i had and lost pixie power ... if you ever have a plethora ....

superb!!!!

ken

o

Ok Jeanne.... I wouldn't have even noticed the maple seeds had you not pointed them out. Around here box elder seeds are a given. My questions for you is how do you clean them up? Do you pick up each one individually?
I haven't found an efficient way that doesn't remove mulch and dirt. Do you have a secret?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here