Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Have 'Atlantis', do I need 'Abba Dabba Do'?

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

Hello hosta mentors,

I know, I don't NEED it, but thought it was worth asking: I love my 'Atlantis', and I don't 'Have Abba Dabba Do'. Is this a case like 'Sagae/Liberty', where you really should have both, or are Atlantis and Abba Dabba Do similar enough to one another that if I have one, maybe I should save my remaining space for something else entirely, since it'll get quite LARGE?

They look quite similar to me in pics, but I've never seen an Abba Dabba Do 'in person'. Anyone have both, or seen both with their own eyes?

Thanks!
Don B.

Comments (32)

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

DON DON DON of course you need both what were you thinking ? lol Personally I don't have Atlantic but do have Abba Dabba Doo so will send my picture of a two year old and let you decide
    Faye

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm........it IS nice.....I am undecided...Oh, woe is me, I have to decide whether to buy this one or not...These are the important choices in life...Hmmm Thanks for a pic, Faye. ; )

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

have wilma, do i need betty too?

of course!

dave

• timhensley
    9 years ago

I have both. Atlantis is much prettier but Abba Dabba Do is much bigger. My 5 year old Atlantis. If I only had room it would be Atlantis for me.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

betty was hotter than wilma ... lol

ken

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

H. 'Abba Dabba Do' is so much different to 'Atlantis'. Hostas montana 'Aureomarginata', 'Atlantis' and 'Abba Dabba Wow' are similar, but I have them all. They are so much better than all the other green with white/yellow margins. H. 'Atlantis' is to get 30 inches tall, the others 24 inches.
    Get them all!
    Bernd

9 years ago

what a silly title/premise ...

in all reality.. you dont NEED another hosta.. regardless of what it is .. lol

so why even play that game???

ken

ps: what???? .. you have 5 acres.. and now are collecting look alikes.. you already know the answer to that ... are you a plant collector.. or a name collector????

• User
    9 years ago

Nobody needs another....unless it is an addiction...which makes this a moot question......of course you are addicted!

But Ken's parting shot, "are you a plant collector...or a name collector????" is a question worth pondering. For myself, at any rate. I've always liked to have the full series of book titles, you know, the whole Travis McGee series, the whole No. 1 Ladies Detective series, so on. And I like to have the whole series of sports and offspring of certain fragrant hosta. In that case, names are important whether the plant is obviously different or subtly different....or I can decide for myself if it is the exact same plant.

In your case, DonB, you should grow both. If down the road you decide ADD is not for you, pass it along to a neighbor showing signs of sensitivity to hosta addiction. He'll thank you for a lovely plant.

Here I sit with no horse in this race, and I say go for it. Why NOT?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ken,

Thanks... you're very helpful... now go back to the conifers forum where you belong... and be an arsehole... to those peeps... for a while... see ya tomorrow... : P

don b

Edited for... lots of...dots...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 19:58

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

ken

you must be thinking of mary ann on gilligan, much nicer than ginger ....

dave

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, Ginger looked like a cheap floozie, Mary Ann was much hotter.

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Dear Don,

No, you don't need Abba Dabba Doo. In fact, you don't need any more hostas. You should stop buying them and put more money in a retirement account.

Jana
    ________
    Oh, I'm sorry...For a second that irritating angel on my shoulder took keyboard control. What I meant to say is....

Dear Don: BUYITBUYITBUYITBUYIT :)

Jana

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, Jadie. You're right. Just trying to fit in, anyway; almost all my pics of 'my' hostas are taken off the internet. 'Francee' is the only hosta I actually own, and it's been a single-eye plant for 3 years now. I'm so sorry if my questions about hostas annoy you. I'll attempt to phrase my posts in as non-inflammatory a manner as possible. Please like me.

Don B.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Well Don, Abba dabba do is on my next list for a fransen order, I have seen some really nice pics of it on here possibly in the alpabet threads can't remember. Atlantis doesn't seem to be on one of my lists so it mustn't have tickled me, lol
    Sorry , long winded way of saying yes get it lol. In my humble opinion it is nicer than Atlantis, not sure why though.

As for the betty and wilma thing I'm with ken, betty was indeed hotter but she must be well in her nineties now lol as for the gilligan one I have never seen it so can't comment.

Denis

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Denis,

Mary Ann on left, Ginger on right.

Oh yeah, thanks for the opinion on Abba Dabba Do, BTW.

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Aw, shucks, Don...I can't tell if you're kidding around about being bugged. You are, right? You had me chuckling, then the last few sentences give me that, "uh, oh, my post came across totally wrong" feeling... :-s

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL gotcha, Jadie. : )

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Whew!...fyi, you play "huffy" very convincingly! :)
    ...now I can go back to laughing about the prospect of visiting your garden, camera in hand, full of enthusiasm...only to find a straggly Francee limping along in a yard full of lawn. heh, heh, heh.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, Jadie, right in the middle of my lawn, and the grass is taller than my lone, one-eyed hosta. I stepped on it while I was looking for it yesterday. No flower scapes this season, either. : (

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, Don. I'm just a tad confused here. I think Ken has been invaded by the body snatchers. You have, let's say for arguments sake, 150 hosta. Ken has or had 1500. I don't think I have to phrase the obvious question.

Ken, most of us learned a lesson when small - one taught by our parents. It goes like this...." When you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." I'm sorry you are having a bad day.

Don, I don't have either but Atlantis is on my list to get.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

No prob, Don...just head over to your local big box store and pick up a few. The green and white ones are prettier than the plain green ones, but if you're really lucky they might have the kind with a cool "ink bleed" pattern between the veins on the leaves...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Like this 'Watermelon' variety of Sum and Substance that was offered by a local retailer last season, Jadie? For only 27 bucks?? It's so pretty. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I dunno, Jo, I thought my question was pretty basic, I actually don't wanna get a plant that is really similar-looking to another, I DON'T have 5 acres, so that's why I ask peeps who may have both, or at least have seen both. And thanks for the information in answer to my question, all. I can't promise I won't offend anyone in the future; I may ask another question someday.

Good guess, Jo. I DO have about 150 hostas! : )

Don B.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Yes. And you need a few more, like 10, to go with it. My 3 cents, Paula

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like a plan, Paula. I can't keep up with Mocc, much as I'd like. Get 'em, Mocc! Every fragrant you can get your hands on!! I will live vicariously through each rare fragrant you acquire...As long as you post pics of 'em. : )

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, that fake ad of yours Don sent chills. And then the picture.....

Well, Don, you'd be a lot further down the road to ....perdition....if you had not gone overboard on Guacamole, am I right? But you pays your money and makes your choice.

Here here, I received another (small) order today, with a gift hosta no less. So they were all different varieties. Each one counts toward the new total.

I mention this because I have all three of you....you know who I mean.....here .......... so listen up:

The GreenMt order comes tomorrow. I go out to buy more pots tomorrow at Lowes. Get a couple more bags of MiracleGro and pine bark mini-nuggets and order a pair of big jars crushed cayenne pepper. Or raid the driveup window of every take out pizza joint south of I-10. And I better put in a rush order for a 50 lb bag of crushed crab shells from Neptune Harvest! Canada is shipping their crab shells to Glouster MA where they sell it to unsuspecting innocent little old ladies in Alabama.

Adding this comment about your post DonB. I am touched. You can bet that tracking down those elusive fragrants, the search is as much a part of it as the finding and acquiring. You and the other forum members recognized the pattern before I did. I am swept up by the subject, that is for sure. It is fun, and keeps me off the streets.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 1:25

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Don,Paula I think Mocc is messing with us! I think I lost my count somewhere. She's posting these amazing shots of gorgeous hostas so we forget to count - you know - side-tracking! :-).

• User
    9 years ago

Ahhh, this is so great. Now I can go to bed and sleep peacefully. What a day it has been. My cup runneth over.

9 years ago

i simply dont know what you peeps are talking about...

anyone understand self deprecation ..

back in the day.. i had 1650 different hosta ...

there comes a point in time ... where one asks.. do i NEED another one ...

the answer is ALWAYS NO!!!!

and perhaps i should have starting asking myself that at 350 ... and stopped by 700.. before i got to 1400.. which led to 1650 .. crikey ..

ken

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

When you want to have more very rare hostas even with your own names on them, all you have to do is grow them from seeds. You easily can get 1000 more, even after you cull a lot.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

people, people, people

treat don with more respect.

he lives in colorado, where people are allowed to recreate 'differently'

even if he is not partaking ... we think he should ... he is probably succumbing to all the second hand smoke.

in other words, expect him to be nuts. 1. he was born that way, and 2. he can't help it.

_~

dave